ford warranty not good nationwide!!

So, my ford edge (2015) had a leak in the PTU that was fixed by one ford dealer. It is leaking again. I called a nearby ford dealer and was told that, it the seal was improperly repaired at the first dealer, my local dealer wold have to charge me for its repair, since it was not one of "their" technicians who did the original work. WTF! This means that any repair done by one dealership will not be honored by any other dealership. Shouldn't Ford's own training and quality assurance processes mean that all work done by Ford technicians should be fully backed by Ford nationwide? Has anyone else run into this situation???

I called a nearby ford dealer and was told that, it the seal was improperly repaired at the first dealer, my local dealer wold have to charge me for its repair, since it was not one of "their" technicians who did the original work.

Actually I believe the dealership that told you they would or could not cover it IF the new leak was caused by improper repair at the first dealer, they are correct. Yes, a dealer gets paid for warranty work but is not going to be on the hook to pay their mechanic to fix some other dealers mistake. This is exactly what you said the second dealer told you.

It is not a matter of your warranty not being honored nationwide, but a matter of a shoddy or improper repair not being covered by a different dealer.

I would definitely go back to the first dealer and let them handle it. How long ago was the repair, what was done, and how many miles since then? How many miles on the car now?

• Like 2

The repair was about 6 months ago, the car had about 24K miles when we bought it, and it now has about 38K miles. It might be a different seal. Still, what good is a warranty if it does not cover warranted parts and labor? It seems like it would be incumbent upon Ford to take corrective action with the original service department/technician if they did not follow approved repair procedures. Especially if a repair is needed while out of the area, for example...

Thanks for your insight.

Dealers are independent businesses and in this case Ford is stuck in the middle. They would have to pay the second dealer to do the same repair then try to recover what they originally paid the first dealer to do the repair. It's possible but if I was an independent dealer I would not want to get in the middle of that scenario and Ford cannot force the dealer to do that. I'm sure if it was an emergency situation Ford would work with the dealer.

It will be difficult to show that the repair was done incorrectly since it's been 6 months and 14K miles. You might have to pay for the second repair and if you can get the dealer to document that the original repair was done wrong you might be able to convince Ford to reimburse you.

Ford product underwarranty. Repaired by authorized ford dealer. Repair is faulty. In a usual sane world any manufacturer worth its salt would make sure the repair is corrected. Let's not forget that the customer would not be in this position to begin with if the original part was not defective.