Edge vs CX9

Blue Oval

I've been lurking around this forum for a while and I have set my sights on an Edge Limited AWD 08, 18"'s, Cargo, BAMR, White Sand w/ Charcoal leather [ kids and dog don't go well with the tan ] and Sirius. this vehicle is on a lot and won't have to be ordered.

The Mazda is an 08 CX9 GT AWD with the GT Assist pkg. Moonroof/ Bose pkg, Crystal White w/ Sand Leather, Remote start, power liftgate. Again this car is on the floor.

I drove both vehicles and here's what I felt: Much more room in the 9, will fit the dog alot better in the way back!

Liked the 6 Speed AT Sport Trans in the 9, much smoother. neat to shift it like a manual!

The acceleration felt the same for both. Brakes equal.

The seats felt better in the Edge. Front seats , didn't sit in back.

I liked the info center on the Edge, the 9 only had a trip? Nav is nice w/ camera, but really don't need it.

The 20"'s rode real harsh, maybe too much air??

Colors' basically the same. Black carpet on the 9 is nice with the two tone seats.

I like the BAMR better than a traditional Moonroof..

Liked the Xenon headlights and LED tails on the 9.

Though we may never need the 3rd row in the 9 it is nice to have.

Cargo and storage areas in the 9 are bigger than the Edge.

Looked @ the CX7 but felt that was too small for us.

Actually felt the CX9 handled better, and it didn't feel as rough as the Edge I tested. Felt most bumps?

Not sure on MPG but need input from Edge owners.

Comparing the two cars equally may not be too fair because the 9 has roughly $3k more in options, but in reality with my trade being More @ Mazda and less rebates and less trade and more rebates @ Ford dealer, the lease payments are almost identical for 3 years. I'm using the X-plan/ S-Plan. So any Edge owners please give me your pro's and con's on your Edge and if you have any experience with the CX9 let me know! Thanks, Doug

Boy- thats a tough one. The things you listed on the "9", were alot of the things we complain about here about our edges. (HID, LED) But, the Edge is definitely a great vehicle. Did the Mazda have the 20" wheels? Good luck on the decision.
Yes the CX9 had 20"'s, and did seem to ride harsh. :banghead: What are you getting for MPG? I hear some 9 owners are anywhere from 13-17 city to 17-22 highway. Doug

i've got just over 600 miles and city getting 17 highway bumping 20-21w/ some stop and go. Both vehicles look good. flip a coin:) on a scale of 1-10 i'd give the Edge a 9 and some change. i'd like more power (but w/ little better mpg) HID's (but that's fixabel) 20's are rough riding no matter what i think. 18's are just about right. i'd like a choice of a regular sunroof (cheaper) i didn't want ANY rattles down the road so i opted not to get the fancy roof.

doubt you'll regret either decision.

There are a lot of standard equipment and option differences, but it comes down to 7 pass vs. 5 and all of that for only $5,000 more for the CX9.

Go to Truedata.com and compare them - that will help you decide. If 7 pass is not important, compare the CX7 to the Edge.

If you want to spend the extra bucks for 7 pass, look at the Flex also.

There are a lot of standard equipment and option differences, but it comes down to 7 pass vs. 5 and all of that for only $5,000 more for the CX9.

Go to Truedata.com and compare them - that will help you decide. If 7 pass is not important, compare the CX7 to the Edge.

If you want to spend the extra bucks for 7 pass, look at the Flex also.

I'd like to think we have compared them enough even the recent drives of both, I'd just like some more real world input from Edge owners. Actually the CX9 we probably would go with only has the Moonroof/ Bose Pkg. and the Blind Spot monitoring system, No additional paint charge [Copper Red Mica ] still the Gt AWD, so it's about $3k more than the Edge we want. Thought the CX& was way too small, didn't feel it!! Doug

I can't be much help as I only compared the CX7 to the Edge and it wasn't even close. I drove the Edge first and then the CX7. It took about 2 minutes of driving to realize the Edge seemed to be a much better vehicle. Never drove the CX9 but if it's comparable to the 7, the Edge wins hands down.

If I were going to spend $32k+, I would get the MKX. If you don't need 7 pass, why spend the extra bucks?

I'm guessing not too many people here have any experience with the CX9 - why not ask on a Mazda board?

I'm doing just that, but i wanted some real world answers from you owners! Doug

We are just starting our third week with our MKX and we too tested the CX-9.The third row seats are only a plus if you are actually going to use them-and then only for kids or friends you are trying to punish.The manual shift capability is nice too but again how often are you using it, will it be cool for the first while and then you never use it?

I would say that the ride is similar, after all it is the same basic chassis and engine.But according to Consumer Reports the reliability has been better in the Edge/MKX than in the CX-9.As far as price goes I found the CX-9 to be much higher than the Edge even when they are similarly equipped, and I didn't see any jump in interior quality to justify it(unless you have to have a import).

I'm sure you will be happy with either but I would lean towards the Edge.

Good luck.

We are just starting our third week with our MKX and we too tested the CX-9.The third row seats are only a plus if you are actually going to use them-and then only for kids or friends you are trying to punish.The manual shift capability is nice too but again how often are you using it, will it be cool for the first while and then you never use it?

I would say that the ride is similar, after all it is the same basic chassis and engine.But according to Consumer Reports the reliability has been better in the Edge/MKX than in the CX-9.As far as price goes I found the CX-9 to be much higher than the Edge even when they are similarly equipped, and I didn't see any jump in interior quality to justify it(unless you have to have a import).

I'm sure you will be happy with either but I would lean towards the Edge.

Good luck.

Maddady excellent post :rockon: This is pretty much how the wife and I feel about the 9. No we don't really need an import or the 3rd row, but again nice to say you have one in case. Yes the Manual option is sweet but my wife who will spend 90% driving it will NEVER use it :banghead: The 9 w/o the GT assist Pkg, and a Edge Limited w/o Nav and 20"s is $3k apart X-plan or not. You guys look like you have me working up a deal; for an Edge!! Question: Can you get the Stone Leather with the White Sand Tricoat???? I really like the black carpet contrast, much like the Sand leather seats in the 9, which also has a black rug. Keep em' coming :happy feet: Doug

l

• Like 1

What killed it for me and the 9:

The center console is high to the point of claustrophobia. From the sternum down, your entire body is locked in this rigid, compact area.

If your water bottle ever gets loose (and it happens to me from time to time in the desert) from its cupholder and finds the driver's side floor -- you're toast. You have no fishing room.

Oh, and it looks exactly like a Subaru station wagon (without the 4WD). I could have dealt with that, but not the claustrophobia. I just wanted to get OUT.

Well here it is in a nutshell! It does look as though we are staying with FORD!

These are just a few of the reasons for our decision:

BAMR roof!!!

18's on this car, much more compliant ride.

Better looking than the Station Wagonish 9

Stone Leather, carpet color, which IMO doesn't show the dirt and grime as much as the Camel. Carcoal is our 2nd choice if my dealer can't locate the Stone.

More usable storage compartments and cubbys

2 levels of Heated seat controls

INFO CENTER in the dash.

Sirius in this car

Getting the exact color we really wanted, vs. having to seetle for our 2nd choice in the 9

cargo management system

Dealer is closer to home, which helps on the mileage.

Payments are a bit lower with same $ down, Better Rebates currently, and more for our trade.

Free loaner.

Better seating posistion up front.

SYNC

My wife who will be driving it 90% of the time just liked the EDGE better! As did my 4 yr. old who acted like the girl in the commerical, all about the BAMR! Except I didn't have to hear that awful laugh like the commerical :banghead: This car just fits our needs, and just felt RIGHT :happy feet:

I will be getting the Bumper Mat ASAP!!! Doug

I had a long term CX-9 and as it stands, I will upgrade to a used 2008 later this year, it feels as if it we're on rails, the braking is so much better, the interior materials are of higher quality, and it doesn't have that 6F tranny, it has a manual mode for shifting, the 3.7 can really be felt, LED taillights, Bose surround sound, feels much more stable at 90mph, loads of cargo space too.

I had a long term CX-9 and as it stands, I will upgrade to a used 2008 later this year, it feels as if it we're on rails, the braking is so much better, the interior materials are of higher quality, and it doesn't have that 6F tranny, it has a manual mode for shifting, the 3.7 can really be felt, LED taillights, Bose surround sound, feels much more stable at 90mph, loads of cargo space too.
Oh Boy, Here we go :poke: The gun is aimed and ready but....... Still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still awaiting the dealer's call tommorow seeing if he found our match. Likle what you said about the CX9, many of the same thingd we like...Manual shift mode for ME, not her. CARGO SPACE, Fit and Finish, HID and LED's, Bose :shrug:

If you don't like the ride of the 20's, get your dealer to swap them out for the 18's.

As far as the braking comment goes, it feels much smoother(no prominent ABS noise)/stronger.

The little things like the blue indirect lighting on the GT's, the way the dash is layed out, I just fell in love more and more over time, I wish I didn't have to give it back, the handling is what really got me, because around town, you take a turn and it just feels SO stable, it feels better than my CX-7! But when pushed hard it has more roll, it's not better but it felt that way, which is what matters the most.

The rear vents have there own little controls if you want them to be able to control them, the seats are PERFECT! The EDGE's seats are a bit flat( for the wider hipped I guess ) and firm but the seats in my CX-7 and in the CX-9 just hit the spot, I never ever had to pull over for any pains/to stretch. The center console is wrapped in what I believe to be Faux leather apposed to the plastic one in the EDGE, ditto the door padding, faux leather with a stiching in the middle. The BOSE, although just great, is miles ahead of the Audiophile in the EDGE.

Smart key, backup cam, etc. LOVE THEM, but it needs to lock the doors automatically after 5mph, being in the CX-7 I don't mind it, it takes some time but after a few weeks it'll be like clock work.

I sound like I'm biased, but I don't think I am, all that aside the EDGE is great, they just need to get the little things down, it rides better though, in some aspects.

I prefer a more communicative stable ride tho(CX-9).

The BAMR is a great thing, I think Mazda passed on it because if installed it would negatively affect the handling(lowers body ridigty).

Edited by CreamEDGE.

comparison...
The first pic was too large. Was it the back of the Edge? Yes the 9's interior is more luxury, I'll say that. just look at the Edge's side door panels, no comparison to the 9. I believe and someone tell me if I'm wrong, but Ford has a peace of mind wear and tear protection built into their leases. The Mazda Sales Mgr. told me it's an extra $595 for theirs? Also Gap Ins. is also on the Ford. My payments , which really this boils down to is $20 less a month and $100 less out of pocket to start. Is the CX9 all that much more car? If I have to add the wear and tear the payments will be a little further away. For the savings in monthly cash we can purchase a Garmin or tom Tom. if need be. I'll sleep on it tonight!1 See Ya, Doug

http://www.northhillmazda.com/en/newcars/leasing.spy

Leasing details are up to you and your dealer, and it shouldn't cost that much, GAP is included with Mazda leasing.

The EDGE has a material on the door that scratches very easily, not the stuff where the door lock is near the window, but near where you rest your arm, the tan part on the interior, I've gotten a few annoying scraches on my black interior, and it's not cute at all.

The CX-9 just uses better materials, more durable leather too. Both interiors are light, I wouldn't buy a crossover if you're going to get it all dirty inside (sans snow and things of that nature). Also, the contrast stitching has gotten dirty as well, on the wheel, I'm not the primary driver of the EDGE but it's getting black.

The only reason why I'm going into detail on these little things is because I would have like to have the favor returned with spending $$$$$ on a new vehicle.

Oh and it was the back of a CX-9, to show the passenger door, it's more luxurious for the dollar, also to show the grade of plastic used in the cargo area, it too is of a higher quality.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

* 20" alloy chrome wheels

* Auto on/off xenon high-intensity discharge low-beam headlights w/ manual leveling & plus fog lights

* Side view mirrors with marker lights & chrome door handles

* Rain-sensing, variable-intermittent windshield wipers

* 3 memory setting, 8-way adjustable power diver's seat with power lumbar support & silver and wood patterned trim accents

* Electroluminescent gauges and blue indirect lighting

* Smart card with Mazda advanced keyless entry and start system

* Blind spot monitoring system* (available fall 2007)

These are just the major things, more little things like ambient lighting, etc.

$37,250* With Bose, AWD, and moonroof & Sirius.

35,660 for a comparably equppiped EDGE with BAMR, AWD & Sirius.

You get so much more for your dollar, bigger engine, more space, more luxury, better braking and handling.

Not to mention, a bit of exclusivity, the number that Ford sold is impressive, but they're becoming very common, unlike the CX-9.

Edited by CreamEDGE.