Edge vs CX9

Blue Oval

We're using the X-plan/ S-Plan for these leases, so Prices are roughly $1,700 diff. We keep going back to space on the 9 and the texture and more luxury feel on the 9, compared to the cheaper def. Ford feel on the Edge. Even the pricier Limited doesn't give you much more. I like the reverse sensors though, and the Info/message center on the Edge, the 9 only has a trip meter, what's with that? I like your point on the exclusivity of the 9 vs. the Edge, I see lots of Edge's around I can think of at least 5 just in our little town of 5000! Haven't seen one 9 let alone a 7. I can see what you mean on the Edge door panels scratching and scuffing, this will piss me off! If the Mazda dealer can waive the wear and tear or it doesn't add more than a couple $ a month, and my Ford dealer can't locate the White Sand w/ Stone Leather, we will get the CX9 in the Copper Red Mica/w Sand leather, Moonroof/Bose, Blind spot's, Gt AWD. I do like the Black carpet on the 9 w/ 2 kids and a dog!!!!!! Doug

Like you said-the wife will be driving 90% of the time and just liked it better.Do you really want get the 9 and have your better half in six months sigh and say she wishes you got the Edge? :doh:

Or the other way around, you know that can happen too? My mother hates SUV's (EDGE, and CX-7 included) but loves the CX-9.

Ā 

Anyway, both are great buys, I hope you enjoy your new EDGE!

It was really both of us who kept going back to the Edge, it just felt more us, more comfortable. Yes I might wish when I drive the car , it had the Manual Sport shift like the 9, the plusher int. the uniqueness of the 9, as opposed to how common these Edges' have become. Dealer called the car will be in late tonight from Vermont, We'll check it out tomorrow. Doug

• 3 weeks later...
* 20" alloy chrome wheels

Ā 

* Auto on/off xenon high-intensity discharge low-beam headlights w/ manual leveling & plus fog lights

Ā 

* Side view mirrors with marker lights & chrome door handles

Ā 

* Rain-sensing, variable-intermittent windshield wipers

Ā 

* 3 memory setting, 8-way adjustable power diver's seat with power lumbar support & silver and wood patterned trim accents

Ā 

* Electroluminescent gauges and blue indirect lighting

Ā 

* Smart card with Mazda advanced keyless entry and start system

Ā 

* Blind spot monitoring system* (available fall 2007)

These are just the major things, more little things like ambient lighting, etc.

$37,250* With Bose, AWD, and moonroof & Sirius.

Ā 

35,660 for a comparably equppiped EDGE with BAMR, AWD & Sirius.

Ā 

You get so much more for your dollar, bigger engine, more space, more luxury, better braking and handling.

Ā 

Not to mention, a bit of exclusivity, the number that Ford sold is impressive, but they're becoming very common, unlike the CX-9.

Ā 

there are a lot of things you mention here, and a few left out, but basically it comes down to do you want a 3rd row, do you find the Edge's comfortable ride acceptable or do you want a firmer one, and do you want a 3rd row seat and willing to pay just a little bit extra for it. if people like the CX-9 interior better, than that's up to them. as for me, I like them both just fine, but the Ford one to me seems most homey. I could accept the 9 interior just the same, but it's not automatically matching my personal style. it's totally a personal preference. very few people need 20" wheels, I know I don't, I like a sporty wheel and tire and driveability, and 18" certainly meet that requirement. if someone really demands 20" and want matching body cladding like the CX-9 they can wait for the Edge Sport.

Ā 

bigger engine? great. worse MPG? yes (and we already know the MPG with the Edge is hard enough for a lot of people to accept, even though it's definitely respectable). not mentioned above: mirror lights, Edge has it. power driver's seat, Edge has it. power liftgate, Edge has it. I don't see the 'so much more' comment. there are a few available touches which people may or may not care about. I don't...but if someone prefers the sister CX-9 that's great and I'm not going to argue. I do think the blind spot sensor is a great addition. but I already have a brand new Edge so I'm not going to suddenly switch.

Ā 

some of the other are intangibles: quietness, keyless entry design, driving feel (comments like: solid and muscular vs. agility for it's size), controls. again personal preferences and whatever you have a sense for. you are right, there are definitely a lot of Edges out there, more and more all the time. but I see plenty of both

Excuse me, but the bigger engine=better mpg.

Ā 

Ā 

Like I said, BLIS, bigger engine, better transmission, more cargo room, HID's, keyless start, side view mirror makers, rain sensing wipers, other little touches like indirect blue lighting, and another thing, resale value! Of course little thing like rain sensing wipers, BLIS, and side markers may seem like things you don't need, but they're safety features that come in handy.

Ā 

All of those little things add up to more bang for your buck, much more on the little things I didn't touch on like the rear vents can be adjusted in the rear for maximum comfort, Bose Audio, LED tail lights, manual mode etc.

Edge (FWD) = 16/24

CX-9 (FWD) = 16/22

Ā 

I don't know which figures you read but that's what gub'ment says... granted it's a negligible difference but makes me wonder how the CX-9 is better. the funny thing about the mileage ratings on the Edge is I have at least one recent magazine ad from Ford which states 16/25. all other documentation, brochures, etc has 16/24 which I believe is also on the window sticker.

Ā 

there are a few quirks on the CX-9, like on the Edge. why no BAMR w/o Bose? why no Bose w/o BAMR (or, pick one, entertainment system)? the world can only wonder.

Excuse me, but the bigger engine=better mpg.

Ā 

Ā 

Like I said, BLIS, bigger engine, better transmission, more cargo room, HID's, keyless start, side view mirror makers, rain sensing wipers, other little touches like indirect blue lighting, and another thing, resale value! Of course little thing like rain sensing wipers, BLIS, and side markers may seem like things you don't need, but they're safety features that come in handy.

Ā 

All of those little things add up to more bang for your buck, much more on the little things I didn't touch on like the rear vents can be adjusted in the rear for maximum comfort, Bose Audio, LED tail lights, manual mode etc.

Why are you on the Edge Forum ... Mazda not available?

Ā 

For me the CX-9 was at least $5,000 more ... comparing apples and oranges ... I like the Edge ... looked at mazda and chose the Edge ...

I really think CreamEdge or maybe should be CremeEdge, is still a little ticked I didn't go with the 9? Came down to what we could afford, 9 was higher, sorry. Wasn't gonna pay for things we didn't or was never going to use.

Haha, wow.

Ā 

No I was not "Ticked" ever, you we're clearly going for the EDGE but you wanted to seem like you we're interested in the CX-9, you and your wife weren't really.

Why are you on the Edge Forum ... Mazda not available?

Ā 

For me the CX-9 was at least $5,000 more ... comparing apples and oranges ... I like the Edge ... looked at mazda and chose the Edge ...

Because I own an EDGE, and I see something that is better for my dollar. :finger:

Ā 

ANYWAY, the EDGE is depreciating way more than the CX-9, lets talk about lost money instead of money spent.

Ā 

This is a no options Touring, going for 29,999 with 27,652mi on the odo. Retail=$32,250=2,551 lost, lets not get started on the fact that it could have been bought under invoice

Ā 

Another CX-9, Sport with Bose and Moonroof, $26,995, MSRP $32,145=5150 lost.

That's excellent considering a year after so many new features we're added in, ESP a bigger engine.

EDGE's

Ā 

EDGE, SEL with No options, $28,485 new Can be had here for $21,991 With 27,401 miles=$6494 lost.

Ā 

EDGE, SEL with AWD , $29,480 new can be had for $18,995 with 18,684mi=9465 lost.

Because I own an EDGE, and I see something that is better for my dollar. :finger:

Ā 

ANYWAY, the EDGE is depreciating way more than the CX-9, lets talk about lost money instead of money spent.

Ā 

This is a no options Touring, going for 29,999 with 27,652mi on the odo. Retail=$32,250=2,551 lost, lets not get started on the fact that it could have been bought under invoice

Ā 

That's excellent considering a year after so many new features we're added in, ESP a bigger engine.

EDGE's

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

EDGE, SEL with No options, $28,485 new Can be had here for $21,991 With 27,401 miles=$6494 lost.

Ā 

EDGE, SEL with AWD , $29,480 new can be had for $18,995 with 18,684mi=9465 lost.

Ā 

Ā 

I lease, and the EDGE must not have a really bad resale value as the Edge Limited leased for almost $200 per month less than the CX9. Was a no brainer for us, plus the nearest Mazda dealership is over 100 miles away. CX9 was beautiful, but we didn't need the 3rd row and the price was just way too high. Wife loves her Edge and could not be happier. It is nice to have so many good choices out there. A far cry from the way things used to be.

We leased too, and in reality the payments were only about $30 a month less for the Edge vs the 9. We'll save around $1,000 in three years, doesn't sound like much but in these times I'll take it. Factor in another 20 miles to the Mazda dealer from our house, making it 40 miles one way, also came down to what felt right and what we could afford. Yes the CX9 is a beauty but we would rarely have used the 3rd row and I still think it reminds me of a Pacifica? On a side note I wish we didn't go with the Med. Stone int. on this Edge. The carpet shows way more debris than I believe the Camel would have. I wanted the Charcoal Int. but the wife who drives it the most, hated the all black int. The reflash on the tranny seemed to haved worked to rid the car of it's rollback tendencies. Oval

• 2 weeks later...

I looked closely at the 9 as well but went for the Edge for the following reasons:

Ā 

The Mazda is too heavy for this motor

I love Sync

I have come to rely on the keypad entry on Fords

With new springs from H&R it handles like the 9

The panoramic roof is great

I get charged $10 bucks extra in NYC garages with the 9 not the Edge

The wife loves the Edge

I have and Explorer for off road but never use the 6th and 7th seat

lolololololol.

Ā 

Seriously though, all of these complaints about the engine power are widely unsubstantiated.

Ā 

In most configurations the CX-9 is lighter, people get a clue. And the 3.7 has more power, and it sports a much better, and more reliable transmission.

Ā 

Even with the springs, it doesn't handle as good, a friend from college had her EDGE dropped and it still doesn't handle as good as the CX-9, the structural ridgity (the CX-9 is stiffer) isn't there, along with everything else.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

If I remember correctly, the CX9 optioned out like my edge (everything but nav.), was closer to $40,000-$41,000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ā 

Even A-Plan price was outrageous on the CX-9, plus I can't stand those front fenders, UUUGGGLLLYYY, doesn't go with rest of car I think, Mazda quality isn't near Fords, look at consumer reports....

Even A-Plan price was outrageous on the CX-9, plus I can't stand those front fenders, UUUGGGLLLYYY, doesn't go with rest of car I think, Mazda quality isn't near Fords, look at consumer reports....

:hysterical:

If you think Ford is above Mazda in the engineering/reliability department you're in another world. Nearly all Ford's are riding on Volvo/Mazda technology hun.

You're excused though, you read consumer reports and believe it.

Ā 

If you really read it closely, you would see the major reliability issue is the audio system.

Ā 

CR's reliability surveys are seriously flawed.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

:hysterical:

If you think Ford is above Mazda in the engineering/reliability department you're in another world. Nearly all Ford's are riding on Volvo/Mazda technology hun.

You're excused though, you read consumer reports and believe it.

Ā 

If you really read it closely, you would see the major reliability issue is the audio system.

Ā 

CR's reliability surveys are seriously flawed.

Ā 

:woohoo: Don't know about you but QUALITY and RELIABILITY are 2 different things. as I said "quality".

Edited by kalu

So, ironically, the Edge was in the shop getting a new sensor.

Ā 

I had a Mazda 5 for 2 days. Not the 7, not the 9, granted, but the 5.

Ā 

Two words: no thanks

Ā 

Keep in mind that I had an MX-6 forever and a day, so I am a Mazda fan. The only thing on the Mazda that's better is the 50K warranty.

They don't have the 50K warranty anymore. And I think the old 5 started at 17K, yeah it's cheap and not in the same field as either the CX-7 or 9, the power just isn't there, neither is the interior quality, but for 17K they're damn good.

Ā 

If you think Mazda isn't above Ford in quality why would Ford heavily rely on them for platforms, engine tech, chassis tuning etc. The only thing Ford does is style them differently, give them different interiors (fusion VS mazda6 for example) and try to improve on little stuff to differentiate from Mazda.

• 1 month later...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

EDGE's

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

But... but... c'mon it's a Mazda, it's ugly and it's mama dresses it funny!

Ā 

It really comes down to which one you like to look at the most!

Ā 

Sure the Edge is not perfect (well... mine is) but to me, the 9 seems to be all facade and formula.

Looks kinda common, just like all the other asian manufactured CUV/SUV 's out there.

Ā 

Visually, side by side, the edge looks far more striking, it stands out more. It has a more aggressive stance, it really does ride the "edge" between

being more truck/SUV like and car/CUV like. The others seem to just a watered down SUV, or a beefed up car.

• 2 weeks later...