Rolling back on hills?

Williston

Blue, PrinzII and anyone else who had the TSB applied to prevent rollback.

Has your hot idle rpm changed? If it has not, then I would assume MPG may not change but I am far from understanding what is actually changed when the TSB is applied.

My idle speed hasn't changed that I am aware of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mine did the rollback thing regardless of incline before I got the PCM flashed. Now, it won't roll back.

Im sorry...what is a PCM? And how do I get mine flashed???

LOL...I know some things about cars, but...this is another language to me...

I hate my car rolling back when I am on a hill...so if I can flash something named a PCM, I just may flash away....

I dont have to show any skin when I start flashing, do I? *gasp* *kiddddding*

QUOTE (Always_smile1st @ Mar 27 2008, 07:21 PM)

I have a 2007 Sel Edge FWD that also rolls back. When I ask the dealership about it they tell me it's normal. I don’t believe that. My 2003 accord never rolled back. The edge will roll back when I just park it in the garage and on a hill. The last thing I need is to role back into someone. This does not sound normal to me. I’m scared one day after parking the edge in my garage when I wake up the next morning the car will be in the middle of the street. Now when I go to the dealership I want it all in writing your not going to tell me it just normal.

That's what I do. The problem is I should not have to. I'm glad your edge does not do that.

I'm new here ssoo

You are kidding aren't you.

You REALLY don't want to "park" ANY vehicle in neutral!

ab

Edited by ablb

Im sorry...what is a PCM? And how do I get mine flashed???

LOL...I know some things about cars, but...this is another language to me...

I hate my car rolling back when I am on a hill...so if I can flash something named a PCM, I just may flash away....

I dont have to show any skin when I start flashing, do I? *gasp* *kiddddding*

PCM probably stands for "Powertrain Control Module" also call ECU and about a dozen other acronyms.

It's the computer that controls almost everthing on your Edge and like all computers it's very programable.

:shades: Which one are you *kiddddding* about, the *gasp* or the flashing?

ab

If you don't put it in park you can't get the keys out. WHen the vehicle is parked the auto trans should be in park. That's why they call it "Park".

He was referring to having to use the parking brake in addition to putting it in park. Which is ridiculous - you should always use the parking brake, especially when parking on any type of incline.

• 2 weeks later...
Well answered akirby. They did not swap out the torque converter, only did a reflash on the tranny.

We have the same problem with our Edge, rolls backwards on an incline. Dealership did a re-flash but the problem remains. Increasing RPMs with foot on the gas rather than the brake will hold position.

The problem here is obvious from a safety perspective. Yes, we should place our right foot on the brake, but this is not always practical. While waiting for a light to change green, reducing brake pressure just a little bit will find you against someone's bumper before you realize you have moved. Rear obstacle detection system needs to beep while in drive to compensate for this obviously flawed design "feature" of this vehicle.

The assertion that Ford 'had to' comply with gas economy requirements by reducing the capacity of the torque converter at lower RPMs is an assertion of economy over safety. A really bad choice was made by engineering to this regard. I have no delusions that they did not know about it, but failed to inform sales of the 'feature'.

If sales knew about it, it certainly was never 'demonstrated' during our test drive. It needs to be disclosed to potential buyers.

Personally, I would have walked away from this vehicle as I have a medical problem that sometimes causes pain in my hip when I lift my leg from the accelerator to the brake. I naturally try avoid this movement whenever I can. This experience puts a really bad taste in my mouth about Ford engineering.

• 5 months later...
Does anybody know if Ford has found any really feasible working solution for that problem yet? Any PDF with the info of the service bulletin that we can use ot show the dealer what to do, or at least what to look for?

Just complain to the dealer about the symptom and tell them there is a TSB to cover it. That said, there's nothing else you can do about it except to get the reflash.

All vehicles roll backwards on inclines to some degree - it's a function of the torque converter in the automatic transmission. The Edge is just more susceptible than other vehicles.

Blue, PrinzII and anyone else who had the TSB applied to prevent rollback.

Has your hot idle rpm changed? If it has not, then I would assume MPG may not change but I am far from understanding what is actually changed when the TSB is applied.

My mileage is not affected at all. I only used 1/4 - 1/2 tank of gas on a 142 mile trip.

Edited by PrinzII

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...