Which drivetrain belt should I run?

T-Fade

Just added sct x4 programmer with a great custom tune from Torrie at Unleashed Tuning to go with my Magnaflow cat back exhaust and KN cai. I'm wanting to know which drivetrain belt I should use because I know it's important to upgrade this once you starting increasing horsepower. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe he's thinking about the AWD Conversion kit from KaleCoAuto (the people who bring you blinker fluid)?

awdconvert.jpg

The adapters mount to the front and rear hubs allowing the belt to drive the rear wheels on a FWD vehicle. They recommend not making left or right turns after installation.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=18&zenid=l5hLL6fQtSrLQJhNJ9w181

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

That conversion kit looks interesting. I'm thinking I might install one of those on my AWD, drop the PTU, and remove the driveshaft to the rear wheels. That way I could get all the benefits of AWD without worrying about a PTU failure. Wonder if the seals on that thing are heavy duty. The 'no turning' thing might be an issue.

I recently did a blinker fluid change. Very difficult since the reservoir is mounted inside the left rear tire. I looked for a MacT instructional video on it but couldn't find one. Very disappointed about that.

• Like 1

Drivetrain belt is the same thing as a serpentine belt. Some solid advice out there.

I'm glad you mentioned that because in over 40 years in the automotive business in one way or another, that was a term I hadn't heard used like that. Some big twin motorcycles have drive belts, CVT transmissions have them as do some lawnmowers and tractors. I did look around online and found a few references equating drivetrain belt with serpentine belt but it seems to be an uncommon usage - hence the confusion. It's always good to learn something new.

• Like 3

Drivetrain usually means the part between the end of the transmission and the wheels, so that's why it didn't make a lot of sense.

I don't see how increasing power could have any effect on the serpentine belt. The load through the belt comes from the loads of the accessories, not from the load of the engine. As they say, you can't push on a string.

• Like 1