Thing I like about my Edge

solas989

OK, we all know about the "What I hate about my Edge" thread. But, I want to see what people like.

Obviouisly those that bought the Edge - like it - but what specifically? I could not find a thread similar to this - but if there is, someone point me to it.

Big Items

1) BAMR - Big As Moon Roof - One of my favorite aspects

2) Sync - Works excellent for me.

3) Large cargo area - great for transporting dogs!

Little things

1) The steering wheel - the whole things is not wrapped - especially where my wedding band is. My wedding band has edges on it that can scratch leather - like it does on my Mazda. On the Edge, there is hard plastic that helps me prevent damage.

2) Oil - Canister filter on the bottom of the engine - makes changing oil very easy with minimal mess.

3) Seat memory - mine has not had problems - at least with me.

What are YOUR thoughts?

Solas

1) My choice of White Sand-----Awesome color!!

2) BAMR!!!!

3) SYNC--So far all is well, understands very easily, phone works well too, wife is enjoying it very much!!!!

4) The Med. Stone Leather color with the White Sand is a great match! Very Rich appearance.

5) Love the sight lines, esp. @ traffic lights.

6) Getting alot of stares and looks with the EDGE. Hope it's a good thing?

For me I wish it had a bit MORE cargo area! Not enough room for our GSD!!!! She's only 8 mos. and already 65lbs. I don't like that I'm seeing sand and salt up and in the black lower moulding? Needs to constantly sprayed out. Oh here I go listing gripes, wrong thread, sorry.

So far so good with our new ride, 350 miles and happy. Doug

All the above ... plus mine with the grey painted rims mades my creme brule look mean. Almost like a tough futuristic moon buggy.

I get 26 mpg Canadian gallon with less than 1200 kilometers on the clock. Uses regular gas as well.

Like the ride ... stares ... handling, the heated seats ... storage albit small under the rear cover ... bulbs easy to change ... room under the hood ... and the tough stance. It could of used more covers over the seat brackets ... but I paid $20,000 LESS than others did for their rides!

Still learning more about what this truck does and has ... including speed sensitive wipers.

"room under the hood" - all except when it comes to changing the spark plugs - manual I think stats to drop the engine for clearance YIKES

I like also how smooth the speed control is. On my Mazda - it is jerky - it is smooth here and you can tell when it turns off or on.

Shifting is really smooth outside gears 1 and 2. Again, a lot of times you cant tell it downshifted.

I like where the handles (sometimes refered to OH Sht handles) are in the rear. I take my grandma around alot and this placement makes it easier for her to get in the Edge - better than my dads Santa Fe

PLG Power Lift Gate - this is a BLESSING!!!!!!! I will never buy a vehicle without one now.

It does feel solid I will agree.

Some may disagree - but I like the black lower plastic coating. I drive on a lot of gravel in the country and have some kick up - this help eleminate chips and rust eventaully - at least in my wee mind.

The shifter is in the PERFECT spot for me to rest my hand on it. It feels natural for me.

Outlets - 4 of them. In the best spots too. I can never have too many 12V accessory outlets. I use 3 of the 4. I dont use the one in the back cargo area.

Even thought mine is FWD, it did EXTREMELY well in 2' of snow. I have driven the Santa Fe before in large snow falls, and the Edge felt more sure footed. I had more confidence and it did not let me down when plowing through snow drifts.

Just a few more of my thoughts.

Solas

WOW!!!!!! The first thing is the handling.... The instant power when you foot hits the gas pedal. ......The looks(mine is black with black interior) the treading is a wonderful creme color that really makes it pop. The VISTA wow so much fun at the beach.....Its the cloest thing there is to a convertable SUV......The sound system is pretty great.....Tons of quality sound from a factory system....The crome on the black is just about the most eye catching thing there is.....I am pushing 18k on my EDGE......I live in the south and everywhere I go in my EDGE I get the wwwwwwoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww what is that looks. We sell alot of EDGE'S. Everyone that comes into out dealership looking at anything other then a F series truck, we ask them to drive an EDGE. Our store sells about 10 a month and we are a little store. I see all the comments about how bad dealerships are.....If the employees are driving FORD's then why would you want to buy from them. These people aren't proud of the products and don't know how wonderful they are....

I am willing to anwser any questions that anyone has about the vehicles or any financing questions as well as warranty or products that you have purchased.....

Have you driven a FORD lately?????? :rockon::shift:

I love the WOW!! factor of the car. A lot of people seem surprised that its a Ford.

The looks and stare's

The comfort. It's by far the best vehicle I have ever owned comfort wise.

I sometimes drive my wifes 08 Fusion, and I feel cramed.

I have Black 07 with black leather interior, it's really nice and makes it that more comfortable.

The gidgets and gadgets inside from memory seats to nav, auto climate, sirius.......

One things that "bugs" me, the big and bold front end catches a lot of insects.

overall, I couldn't be happier with my EDGE.

Happy Trails :happy feet:

Windshield tint????? whoa :)

as for the 6000k HIDs, can you point out the best source for these? I am debating between upgrading to some 4000k's, or something more like yours

Edit: nevermind, I found the most recent HID thread. thanks

Edited by bri719

• 4 weeks later...

MKX -

the AWD with traction control and 20" pirelli tires make it the BEST vehicle in the snow I have ever used, nothing

even comes close and I have had aviator, navigators, explorers, all of them... great job ford!

synch works well even with old XV6600 blue tooth...

looks, just a sharp looking coach... I have the black mono version covering the only thing I did not like, that huge chrome checkerboard grill...

MPG sucks... quality is a bit lacking but hey its a ford... :shades:

The things I like..

BAMR

Sync

Power.....still haven't hit the max speed yet.

AWD

The body kit that makes people ask what kind of car is that. And the paint job....Black with 20" Chrome rims looks awesome after a fresh wash in the sunshine.

Edited by pickupf150

I have a 2008 Limited in Redfire Metallic Paint. Things I love about my Edge:

BAMR--On a nice day, the sky is the limit!!

SYNC- Its making me lazy! LOL!

18' CHROME CLAD RIMS --WHEN CLEAN THEY STAND OUT AND GET ATTENTION!

Engine power--GUN YOUR EDGE AND IT GOES!! Especially in the higher revs!!

Reclining Rear Seats -- My friends love going for long drives in my Edge because they can just sit back, recline their seats, and gaze up through my BAMR at the Sky!

Edited by INTERAVE

• 5 months later...

Since you asked, here is a question for you since it sounds like you work at a Ford Dealership. I have a 2008 AWD Edge. My husband was driving in front of me at night and commented that the two fog lights don't match. One is of a blue color and the other is a clear color. When you look at it from a distance and move from side to side you will notice that they don't look the same. If you are closer they do look the same. We took it to the Dealership and asked them about it. They hadn't heard of this before but tried to check it out but couldn't very well since it was day time. We thought maybe they could just change both bulbs but now we are wondering if it is the way they are positioned. It doesn't bother me since I am driving but I am sure other people seeing them are wondering. Has anyone else had this problem or what are your thoughts? Thanks Cindy

WOW!!!!!! The first thing is the handling.... The instant power when you foot hits the gas pedal. ......The looks(mine is black with black interior) the treading is a wonderful creme color that really makes it pop. The VISTA wow so much fun at the beach.....Its the cloest thing there is to a convertable SUV......The sound system is pretty great.....Tons of quality sound from a factory system....The crome on the black is just about the most eye catching thing there is.....I am pushing 18k on my EDGE......I live in the south and everywhere I go in my EDGE I get the wwwwwwoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww what is that looks. We sell alot of EDGE'S. Everyone that comes into out dealership looking at anything other then a F series truck, we ask them to drive an EDGE. Our store sells about 10 a month and we are a little store. I see all the comments about how bad dealerships are.....If the employees are driving FORD's then why would you want to buy from them. These people aren't proud of the products and don't know how wonderful they are....

I am willing to anwser any questions that anyone has about the vehicles or any financing questions as well as warranty or products that you have purchased.....

Here is a question for you since it sounds like you work at a Ford Dealership. I have a 2008 AWD Edge. My husband was driving in front of me and noticed that my fog lights don't match. One is a blue color and the other is a clear color. If you move around looking at it from a distance it changes from side to side on the color. We took it to the Dealership and asked them about it. We thought maybe they could just change the bulbs. They told us they had never heard of it before and it was hard for them to see it since it was day time. You don't notice the difference if you are fairly close but you sure do from a distance. It doesn't bother me but it certainly does look odd when you are driving it. Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions. Thanks, cindy

Here is a question for you since it sounds like you work at a Ford Dealership. I have a 2008 AWD Edge. My husband was driving in front of me and noticed that my fog lights don't match. One is a blue color and the other is a clear color. If you move around looking at it from a distance it changes from side to side on the color. We took it to the Dealership and asked them about it. We thought maybe they could just change the bulbs. They told us they had never heard of it before and it was hard for them to see it since it was day time. You don't notice the difference if you are fairly close but you sure do from a distance. It doesn't bother me but it certainly does look odd when you are driving it. Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions. Thanks, cindy

Hi Cindy. :D Assuming that the fog lights are the factory lights/bulbs (not added aftermarket), it sounds as though one may simply be aimed incorrectly. In addition, it is not unusual for the color of the lights to look different in the manner you describe (viewed from different angles), as the light refraction will give the appearance of different colors (white/blueish) according to the angle of view.

Have your husband (or you, of course) read the Owners Manual and follow the directions to re-aim them properly. As you stated above, it should be done at night. Additionally, they should be aimed low. as fog lights are meant to give a low and wide light pattern.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Cindy. :D Assuming that the fog lights are the factory lights (not added aftermarket), it sounds as though one may simply be aimed incorrectly. In addition, it is not unusual for the color of the lights to look different in the manner you describe (viewed from different angles), as the light refraction will give the appearance of different colors (white/blueish) according to the angle of view.

Have your husband (or you, of course) read the Owners Manual and follow the directions to re-aim them properly. As you stated above, it should be done at night. Additionally, they should be aimed low. as fog lights are meant to give a low and wide light pattern.

Thanks, they are the factory lights. We'll look at the manual and see what it says about the adjustment. I know there is a part about the adjustment of headlights. So it sounds like this might not be so unusual. Hopefully they aren't too hard to adjust.

Thanks, they are the factory lights. We'll look at the manual and see what it says about the adjustment. I know there is a part about the adjustment of headlights. So it sounds like this might not be so unusual. Hopefully they aren't too hard to adjust.

Hi Cindy. :D The Manual may not precisely explain how to adjust them. If I recall correctly, the Manual does explain how to access the fog light housings to change the bulbs (remove splash shield, etc.). What you will need to do is loosen the attachment fasteners and manually adjust the light housing to aim it. It sort of becomes an exercise in common sense and basic mechanical aptitude.

However, it is likely that the fog lights are already correctly aimed, therefore it would be best to leave them alone. As I stated in my previous reply, it is not unusual for the color of light to vary according to viewing angle, especially with "projector beam" housings.

If you still feel the need to re-adjust them, before anyone starts playing around with them I highly recommend you do the following:

First, follow the directions for aiming the headlights by parking your vehicle in front of a vertical wall (I believe the Owners Manual States 25 feet) after dark, to check how the head lights/fog lights are aimed.

The top of the fog lights cut off line should be visibly below the low beam mid point to low point delineation. In other words, aimed lower than the low beams.

Do yourself a big favor and check the aim before playing with the adjustment.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Cindy. :D The Manual may not precisely explain how to adjust them. If I recall correctly, the Manual does explain how to access the fog light housings to change the bulbs (remove splash shield, etc.). What you will need to do is loosen the attachment fasteners and manually adjust the light housing to aim it. It sort of becomes an exercise in common sense and basic mechanical aptitude.

However, it is likely that the fog lights are already correctly aimed, therefore it would be best to leave them alone. As I stated in my previous reply, it is not unusual for the color of light to vary according to viewing angle, especially with "projector beam" housings.

If you still feel the need to re-adjust them, before anyone starts playing around with them I highly recommend you do the following:

First, follow the directions for aiming the headlights by parking your vehicle in front of a vertical wall (I believe the Owners Manual States 25 feet) after dark, to check how the head lights/fog lights are aimed.

The top of the fog lights cut off line should be visibly below the low beam mid point to low point delineation. In other words, aimed lower than the low beams.

Do yourself a big favor and check the aim before playing with the adjustment.

Thanks we'll try that. I am not too eager either to start messing around with the factory settings. YOu bring up some good points that we didn't think of before. Appreciate your helpfulness.

Love the Blazing Copper (now discontinued), BAMR (minus the velcro ingenuity), I agree w/ Lex, the puddle lamps are upscale. The reclining rear seats are sweet for company and the BAM! look at me grille!

...and just got my tan husky floor liners in!! With that Camel carpet, they're a must. They also have a more noticeable "deadpedal" to rest your foot.

ok, enough babbling....NEXT!?

• 9 months later...

I bought my 2008 Edge about 7 months ago, and I'm so glad that you can't really see any differences between mine and the 2010! That is a great thing for me!

The ride is excellent!

People get in and are always impressed with how sweet it is!

Loads of room in front, back and loads of room for cargo!!

Moonroof is MASSIVE!, almost like havin a convertible!

Sat radio is beautiful

Although i hopefully will be upgrading the stereo system asap, the factory one really isn't bad!

Haven't really needed the AWD yet, but it's great toknow its there if i need it!

Big Rims! Lot of people comment on how huge the wheels are!

The color is deadly! Dark blue ink! luvs it!

Indirectly, this Forum is what I like about my Edge. I discovered it during my research on the Ford Edge and spent hours reading the postings which I found to be very informative and polite (even when the subject was somewhat on the negative side) and not the typical B & M you normally find on such forums) prior to making my 2009 FWD Limited purchase this past June. Having X-Plan and 0% financing were also factors that lead to my choosing the Edge over an Lexus RX350.

As for the Edge itself:

- faster than a BMW RX5! (no shortage of power and very responsive)

- quieter than the Lexus RX350 (confirmed by actual test driving both at city and highway conditions)

- HEAD TURNING looks (I keep it in showroom condition and the Platinum White Tri-coat metallic in the sunlight along with the 20" chrome (clad) wheels draws stares like a magnet)

- Vista Roof (makes me want to move the steering wheel into the back seat area)

- Well designed / ergonomic cabin layout for both front and rear passengers

- The Navigation System is first rate and dead on (unlike the early Nav systems that would alert you that you had missed a turn or were going the wrong way, this system is SMART in that it detects that you have decided to take another routing and updates the system accordingly - this is a real plus when an unexpected detour or wrong turn occurs. Being hard drive based it is also fast on updates)

- Travel Link (IMHO) is a must for driving in Houston, TX where an average (as I have read) of over 80,000 traffic accidents occur each year

- According to KBB (Kelly Blue Book) the Edge will retain its trade-in / resale value just a little under that of an Lexus RX!

As for aftermarket and dealer support:

- I bought the Edge at a dealership 45 miles from where I live but get service / warranty needs taken care of at the Ford dealership only 8 miles from the house (this would not, most likely, have been possible if I had purchased a GM or Chrysler product)

- Cost of service and non-warranty will be less expensive than Lexus (and most likely GM and Chrysler given the current business situation their both experiencing)

- There are many sources for "mods & upgrades" for the aftermarket modder's like LEX and others

I moved up from a 2002 KIA Sedona which I purchased new in 2001 and the difference is like "Night & Day". I looked at the new KIA's but the reliability, service and after purchase support are still not where they need to be. The warranty might be better, but good luck in getting it honored.

My wife has a 2008 limited in blazing copper.

She loves the color and the looks it brings

She loves the BAMR, especially once I hooked up the lights in the switches.

She loves the interior leg and head room. I myself could use a little more head room, but I'm 6'8".

She loves the power lift gate. It didn't seem like that big a deal when we bought it, but use it all the time.

She loves how the AWD system performed in the snow last winter.

She loves the heated seats.

If we had to do something differently, we may not have picked the black intierior. While it looks great with the copper exterior, the hair from our yellow lab really stands out against the black.

Just got our 2008 White Sand with 20"s and this thing looks fantastic, the looks we get are awesome!

What we love so far...

Obviously the Roof..

20's

NAV/Sync

Power Rear Hatch

Power

24MPG on my last trip.... cost me $65CAD for premium gas and got 723KM!!!!! City driving sucks! LOL

So far so good, we have put on 4K in 2 weeks and its awesome!

Edited by Bwadd