Creaking noise from front when making sharp left turn

I have a 2014 edge sel, fwd, 17,000 miles. It makes a creaking noise when turning sharply only to the left. This most often occurs at slow parking lot speeds, especially when turning left into parking stall. The more the steering wheel is cranked over, the greater the noise. Noise seems to be coming from front end, perhaps passenger side or right wheel. It is not a popping or clicking noise. Steering wheel does not feel a pop, car does not pull to either side nor do breaks.

Here is an audio recording of the sound while making two sharp left turns at parking lot speed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkse4lobnivzxyq/2%20left%20turns%20and%20noise.m4a?dl=0

Drives great, no drag. Only make noise while moving, not stationary. Could struts or cv be out with such low miles? No tears in cv boots. Any thoughts or places to check first? Thinking strut bearing mount?

Thanks!

Edited by Pseank

If it fits under the file attachment limit, you can go to "more reply options" to open the full reply box. From there you can attach the file/clip. Otherwise, maybe sites like flickr and imgur or even dropbox may allow multimedia. Upload there and link back here. Make the clip permissions "public".

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thank you for the attachment info. While it will not allow attachment of this audio file type, here is a link to it in my dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkse4lobnivzxyq/2%20left%20turns%20and%20noise.m4a?dl=0

or: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkse4lobnivzxyq/2%20left%20turns%20and%20noise.m4a?dl=0

n this 13 second clip, I make 2 sharp left turns and you can hear the noise. I believe it is coming fromt he right front. Does not happen when turning to other side. The sharper the turn, the more noise is created.

Thanks!

Sean

Same noise I was getting but now it's turned into a thunk when going over bumps. I replaced the sway bar links and had the suspension checked a few weeks ago. Everything is tight including ball joints and tierod ends. Like I said earlier, I'm gonna get to replacing the struts and strut mounts pretty soon. Enigma2 posted a good video in this thread about strut noise that may help: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22938-strut-noises/

Might be worth using your warranty depending on the deductible and please let us know what the problem was if ya get her repaired soon..

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 3

UPDATE: I took it to our local Ford dealers "Quick Lane" today since they work on struts. It is sort of an abbreviated Ford repair shop for basic stuff.

The technician felt it was the passenger side strut bearing and was able to reproduce the noise.

They did not have the part, but it is schedule for the repair at their main shop this coming Thursday.

I will again confirm the fix afterwards in hopes it may help others.

Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

My car had since been in for this issue multiple times. At first it was a loose axel nut. Then it was the cv joint, then it was the A arm. All on that same side and with low miles. I just went in again for another CV joint replacement, luckily under warranty. It has low miles and no rain or snow in area so don't know how it could go through joints so quickly, but it did. The Ford tech were able to catch the noise by using "chassis iears". It was never the strut or anything like that. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:31 PM, Pseank said:

My car had since been in for this issue multiple times. At first it was a loose axel nut. Then it was the cv joint, then it was the A arm. All on that same side and with low miles. I just went in again for another CV joint replacement, luckily under warranty. It has low miles and no rain or snow in area so don't know how it could go through joints so quickly, but it did. The Ford tech were able to catch the noise by using "chassis iears". It was never the strut or anything like that. 

Thank you for the update!

Did it sound similar to this -- https://youtube.com/shorts/jdZSZl8vyOI?feature=share

My husband put lube on the right boot as you could hear it squeaking when turning manually. Today I drove about 40 mins and where it  normally be noisy it was not! I thought it was fixed however once I returned home the noise started once again.