Hi,

Does anyone know how to lengthen the time it takes for the headlights to come on when the auto-headlights are active?

When I drive under a overpass on the freeway on a sunny day at about 10-15mph the headlights sense that its dark out and turn on. Once you drive back into the sunlight they go off. So during rush hour every day my headlights turn off and on about 20 times!

I love this feature and I don't want to go back to turning the headlights off and on manually.

There must be some way to set this sensor. Anyone?

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by toolman605

Hi,

Does anyone know how to lengthen the time it takes for the headlights to come on when the auto-headlights are active?

When I drive under a overpass on the freeway on a sunny day at about 10-15mph the headlights sense that its dark out and turn on. Once you drive back into the sunlight they go off. So during rush hour every day my headlights turn off and on about 20 times!

I love this feature and I don't want to go back to turning the headlights off and on manually.

There must be some way to set this sensor. Anyone?

Thanks!

Dave

Hi Dave. :D I know this question has been asked in the past. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the sensitivity or timing of the "Auto-On" headlights. Currently, it is not an owner or Dealer adjustable feature.

The headlight timing you can adjust is the courtesy feature. That is the feature (if vehicle is equipped) that allows the headlights to stay on for a fixed period of time after the driver has turned off the ignition.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the response!

I was afraid of that - oh well can't win 'em all.

I have to say that's my only complaint with my Edge! :happy feet:

Thanks!

Dave

Hi Dave. :D I know this question has been asked in the past. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the sensitivity or timing of the "Auto-On" headlights. Currently, it is not an owner or Dealer adjustable feature.

The headlight timing you can adjust is the courtesy feature. That is the feature (if vehicle is equipped) that allows the headlights to stay on for a fixed period of time after the driver has turned off the ignition.

Good luck. :beerchug:

If you don't mind your lights on all the time when your driving, put a small piece of black electrical tape over the sensor on the dashboard. Then, keep the switch on the auto mode.

yeah I don't mind the flip daily but I'm sure some people might

so this is a good suggestion, I see a lot of cars (especially luxury cars like Mercedes) with this problem on the roads to work almost daily. and I've driven others that do it, so it's not just Ford. luckily I only hit one or two underpasses... or 0 if I go a little different way

• 4 years later...
Mine has the exact opposite problem! Takes exactly 15 seconds to turn on (I've timed it many times, even tried blocking the sensor with my hand and timing). I wish they would go on much sooner, as I drive into tunnels at fast speed and am driving blind for 15s!!!

I realize the original post was from 2008, but I agree with this last post. Mine are not sensitive enough when it is raining or overcast. I am considering making some type of mesh cloth cover or something to place over the sensor. That will limit the amount of light which is picked up by the sensor and will turn the lights on sooner.

I am looking at finding the sensor in a junkyard or at a discount price online. I will use that for forming and molding a cover. I just need to find some different materials with different size openings and mold them up. Trial and error until I find one that is just right!

What's really funny is that just yesterday I had to reset some settings on my wife's Acura MDX. I had done some light mods on the interior. Pulling some of the fuses removed some of her settings. One of the settings was to select one of SIX different levels to set the auto sensing for the auto headlights.