Dealer swapping MKX from another lot

cmoses

I am looking to purchase a MKX from a local dealer here in Austin. The dealer owns two lots on here and one in Houston that sell Lincolns. They one with the features that I want is on their other lot. If I buy the vehicle and they bring here to Austin, is it typical for them to drive it or to tow it up on a flat bed tow truck? The reason I ask is that it will put about 150 miles on the vehicle. I just wasn't sure what was normal for a dealership to do.

Clayton

I am looking to purchase a MKX from a local dealer here in Austin. The dealer owns two lots on here and one in Houston that sell Lincolns. They one with the features that I want is on their other lot. If I buy the vehicle and they bring here to Austin, is it typical for them to drive it or to tow it up on a flat bed tow truck? The reason I ask is that it will put about 150 miles on the vehicle. I just wasn't sure what was normal for a dealership to do.

Clayton

Hi Clayton. :D This is one of those questions that can best be answered by asking the Dealership. As "akirby" stated, they may do it either way.

However, most Dealers will simply drive it unless you request otherwise, since it is cheaper to do so. In the end, the Dealer is going to do what costs them the least. I would not be completely surprised if they attempt to charge you extra to have it placed on a flatbed. Fight any attempt to charge extra, if you request a flatbed.

Additionally, whether they drive it or flatbed it, your Warranty still only is valid to 36,000 Bumper to Bumper, and 60,000 Powertrain. In other words: If the car is driven and delivered to you with 500 miles, your Warranty ends at 36,000, not 36,500. I only mention this due to what "droth" stated, since I read that to mean you would get a 150 mile extension on your Warranty. That is not correct (my apologies to "droth" if I am misreading the post).

Ask the Dealership and see if you have any options.

Good luck Clayton. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...
I would say they usually flatbed it unless one's not available and/or the other dealer is a pretty short distance. like less than 50 miles

I bet Lincoln buyers are a little less forgiving than your average Ford buyer

I bet the y drive it to your lot. Unless you can convince them to put it on a flat bed and tow it.

I have purchased alot of new Ford vehicles and on my warranty paperwork the mileage that is on the vehicle when I take delivery is always added to the 36,000 I thought. So if it has 500 miles on it when I take delivery the warranty will end at 36,500.

• 4 months later...
now I am stuck with a very low quality MKX that is a week old.

I know the scratches were caused by the dealer (one or the other) and there is a good bet that the dash damage was also done by the dealer, which is probably why they said Ford won't cover it.

You have a low quality dealer that screwed up a perfectly good vehicle.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Clayton

I am curently waiting for my MKX to be delivered from another dealership... bought it last week on Friday and it is still not here. I asked the same question to the dealer and they were willing to have it brought on a flatbed if I paid for it. I even offered to go there and get it, but they wouldn't tell me where they were getting it from. I believed I have bought my last car from them... wasn't pleased with the way the finance guy tried to talk down to me when I questioned about the approx 150 miles they were adding to it... all I wanted to know is if they would readjust the milage on the form they forced me to sign that said that was the milage on it... Very rude man.

Good luck, would be interested in knowing how many miles are actully on it when you get it. I'll let you know mine as well.

Peace

Good luck, would be interested in knowing how many miles are actully on it when you get it. I'll let you know mine as well.

Well I can't speak for this particular situation, but my Dad has been driving new cars from one dealer to another since he retired 10 years ago. The selling dealer searches in their system to find just the vehicle that the customer is looking for, and then contacts that dealer to "swap" vehicles -- so if a customer wants a 2010 Edge and a dealer 150 miles away has one, the selling dealer makes the call and offers to swap whatever type of car the supplying dealer needs, and they probably haggle over that. So if the one dealer is giving up a 2010 Edge, maybe he's short on the 2011 Mustang and the selling dealer has plenty in stock, so they cut their deal and now dealer #1 will make a sale and dealer #2 will improve the selection on his lot. Once this is done, ol' Dad drives a new Mustang one way and drives the Edge back the other way. Some might not prefer this as they want a "new" car to be "new" when they drive it off the lot, but the cars are treated well during the drive and the only change is 150 miles on the odometer.

So if the OP really wants this particular vehicle, you can do your homework and check the online inventories of area dealerships (or maybe call Ford customer care and ask them to locate the model with the options you want), and then deal directly with that other dealer and have someone run you up there. Good luck!

Edited by jeff_h

• 1 month later...

What jeff_h says is true from my experience. I have bought two new vehicles that were picked up from other lots. Both cases they were driving them from A to B. I had asked about flatbed and it's just not something those dealerships do. They were very particular about making sure the mileage was correct on the paperwork though after delivery. As someone else mentioned the one dealership wouldn't tell me where the car was located at. Can you blame them? They want to make a sale, it's how they stay in business. I wouldn't tell you either. :P But I would be curious why they wouldn't write down the mileage as what it truly is.

Well I can't speak for this particular situation, but my Dad has been driving new cars from one dealer to another since he retired 10 years ago. The selling dealer searches in their system to find just the vehicle that the customer is looking for, and then contacts that dealer to "swap" vehicles -- so if a customer wants a 2010 Edge and a dealer 150 miles away has one, the selling dealer makes the call and offers to swap whatever type of car the supplying dealer needs, and they probably haggle over that. So if the one dealer is giving up a 2010 Edge, maybe he's short on the 2011 Mustang and the selling dealer has plenty in stock, so they cut their deal and now dealer #1 will make a sale and dealer #2 will improve the selection on his lot. Once this is done, ol' Dad drives a new Mustang one way and drives the Edge back the other way. Some might not prefer this as they want a "new" car to be "new" when they drive it off the lot, but the cars are treated well during the drive and the only change is 150 miles on the odometer.

So if the OP really wants this particular vehicle, you can do your homework and check the online inventories of area dealerships (or maybe call Ford customer care and ask them to locate the model with the options you want), and then deal directly with that other dealer and have someone run you up there. Good luck!