Wallet Key Fob

I wanted to start a discussion to see who would have any ideas on this. Or if something exists, let it be known.

Has anyone ever thought it would be neat to have the fob for push button start models in your wallet? Because thats something you always have on you. You wouldn't have to worry about keeping track of the key. Touch the handle to unlock, get in and go.

Heres what brought me to this idea, I install low voltage systems, access control being one of them. For those that don't know what that is, its a door lock and unlock system. The door has an electric strike or handle, with a reader. If you present a proximity card recognized by the reader, the door unlocks. In most cases, the card is in your wallet or the fob on your keys. Present it to the reader, and door unlocks. At our office we have a giant reader, where I don't have to take my wallet out of my pocket to be in proximity of the reader. I just walk up to the door, reader reads the card from my pocket, door unlocks. Sounds similar to the edge, right?

My issue is with keeping track of my keys. My old fusion, I NEVER took the key out of the ignition. I always used the keypad to lock and unlock the door. With the edge, in the summer I do the same, key in the console and use the keypad to lock and unlock. In the winter I can leave the fob in my coat pocket. But I don't always have my coat, I always have my wallet though(unless I forget it at home, but getting in the car and it unable to start will remind me!) Ive tried a lot of things to keep the fob on me in the summer. None seem to really work for me.

Does anyone know of something that will work for this? If you disassemble the key down to the chip, it gets pretty small, it would work, but still too big.

I wonder if the key fob for a focus or fiesta(the three button egg shaped fob) could be programmed to the edge. Because that fob when taken apart down to the chip may be small enough to comfortably fit in your wallet.

Better idea might be to have a chip embedded under the skin that the car recognizes as you approach.

That might be hard to replace the battery. Lol

what about using biometrics instead? replace the keypad with a fingerprint reader and upgrade the start/stop button with a fingerprint reader as well.

That would be cool. But wouldn't be reliable. 1 out of every 5 times I try and unlock my iPhone with the thumb print it doesn't work for whatever reason.

I really like that idea. I just started a thread that hopefully helps people like you and me get some interest and help making ideas possible. maybe post it here as well:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/23998-engineers-fabricatorscad-drawers-etc-step-inside/

Ill do that.

Its just an idea. Im not going to sacrifice one of my keys to do it though. Once I finish up current projects I might look for a smaller fob from the focus or fiesta and toy with that. Just need to find out if it is comparable with the different style key on the edge.

Im one of those people, when I get an idea Ill get it done someway or another. Always tinkering with something.

• 4 weeks later...

Most people now days carry a smart phone, seems that the blutooth connection to vehicle could be used to unlock when you get the phone near the vehicle. Would need to be an addition added to the vehicle, possibly to the OMD-II. This may however cause to much drain on the vehicle battery by having the bluetooth on all the time, but the sensor for the keyfob must be on all the time for that to work. Is the unlocking possible to access thru the OMD-II?

I carry several credit cards in my wallet but after a year they start to crack from flexing and the plastic aging so they have to be replaced.

The new Lincoln Aviator was just revealed and it will come with Phone as a Key so you can use your Bluetooth phone to unlock and start the car, no fob needed.

If your phone isnt working you can use the keypad and code to open and operate the vehicle.

I didnt hear that. Thats pretty neat. So but if your phone is dead and you use the keypad to unlock the door, the engine will still start as long as you entered with a valid code?

Ill have to look up the parts necessary to make that work when it comes out. Gotta be some module in there somewhere connected into CAN. Programming it would be the issue.

Edited by tmarsh

I don’t think the normal key code allows you to start the vehicle. I think it’s either a separate key code or it only works with Phone as a Key enabled. And they said you can delete that capability altogether so no worries about a former owner doing anything.

Since it has cell connectivity maybe it validates your personal code against your Lincoln owner account to let you start the vehicle. So by disabling or breaking that connection you disable the start capability.

• 2 weeks later...