14, 16, 15, 14

ajuett

I've had quite an experience/lesson. In the past 4 years I've gone from a 14 Limited to a 16 Escape (yes.) then a 15 SEL and now back to a 14 Limited.

Our search began for a vehicle that could tow a decent sized tent-trailer 2-3 times a year.

The 1st 14 Limited was purchased with 206KM (129 miles) in Tri-Pearl White. It had everything but a BAMR and adaptive CC/CD. Right from the start we liked it. More features than I've ever had in a vehicle. Everything was fine for 10 months, then...

Something made me think I'd save more gas most of the year if I went to an Escape. Why not? Ford says the 16 SE with 2.0L EB can tow as much as the Edge (both having Factory tow packs). Sounded good to me. So I traded and camped twice with it. It's suffered (as did I on the mistake). Personally i think the 2.0L EB is over-rated. Only had it 3 months. Luckily I have an exceptional dealership who took the 16 back without much of a hit to the wallet.

- As a side note; the 16 Escape SE 2.0L EB only got 1L per 100KM better than the Edge while towing, maybe 2L per 100KM in the city. Also, it's a good 700lbs lighter than the Edge.

Because my previous 14 was gone, plus the budget I put myself in, the only choice was a 15 SEL and to add a 3rd party tow hitch. We camped a few times locally and distant 1200KM+ (750+ mile) drives. Locally, no issues. Distant, well, we had an AWD temporary shutdown msg on the dash, twice). I literally dreamed of getting a 1.5 gen and at the same time thought I'd blew my chance as a 14 now would have at least 80,000KM (50,000 miles) on average. The used Edge ads I saw reflected this and I didn't want to buy something with that much. I basically put the idea of owning another 1.5 gen, specifically a 13-14 model year out of my mind.

Besides the above, my personal findings between the 2 Edge generations are:

Steering: not a fan for the electric steering in the 2nd gens, just has a dead feel.

Spongy ride: the 1.5 gens have a stiffer & better road feel.

Shifting and/or engine tuning: the 1.5 gen 3.5L is more lively than the 2nd gen 3.5L. I'd say "normal'' Drive mode in a 1.5 gen is at least half-way between a 2nd gens Drive and Sport mode.

Brakes: the 2nd gens are grabby when cold, nothing you can do about it and it drove me nuts in traffic.

Body style and interior layout: while personal taste comes into play here, at least the 1.5 gens had an original style, no other SUV remotely looked like it.

Service time for the 15, I phoned on a Friday to make an appointment. For the fun of it, went to the dealerships website and checked the used Edges they had in. Whaaaat?! Had to do a double take. 14 Limited, 301A with Factory tow pack, BAMR and adaptive CC/CD and only 24,980KMs (about 15,000 miles). If the numbers work and more importantly, the better-half agrees, that Edge is mine. Went in on the Monday, looked at it, test drove it, traded the 15 and drove the 14 home.

I can safely say, I'm done and I'll keep this until the wheels fall off!

• Like 1

Maybe Ford detuned the 2nd gen 3.5L Edge to make the 2.0L Edge more desirable? It's pushing adoption of the eco boost engines. Otherwise why would the 2nd gen be less lively? I know what you mean though. My Edge is slow to pull away from stop signs and the steering feels slow. We kept our 2002 Ford Windstar as a work vehicle. It has the same weight but a 3.8L V6 and hydraulic steering. It is just more pleasing to drive. That is sad when your 16 year old minivan has a better drive. It's quicker from a stop and on turns. Why downgrade the customers experience? I know, all in the name of mpg. But my Windstar gets 17/24 and my Edge gets 17/26. A whole 2 miles more on the highway which is 20% of my driving. Sigh. My Edge is not a rust bucket like the Windstar and it has the new tech which I love. My Windstar has 190,000 miles. Waiting to see if the eco boost engines can put up those kind of miles. Everything has pluses and minuses. But please Ford remember the customer's driving experience.

Congratulations. What an adventure. Hope you enjoy your ride for many years to come. Regarding the grabby brakes on the 15, there is a TSB to fix the issue.

Had it done, it was OK for a while but returned, not as badly though. Not sure why as previous gen brakes are great.

Maybe Ford detuned the 2nd gen 3.5L Edge to make the 2.0L Edge more desirable? It's pushing adoption of the eco boost engines. Otherwise why would the 2nd gen be less lively? I know what you mean though. My Edge is slow to pull away from stop signs and the steering feels slow. We kept our 2002 Ford Windstar as a work vehicle. It has the same weight but a 3.8L V6 and hydraulic steering. It is just more pleasing to drive. That is sad when your 16 year old minivan has a better drive. It's quicker from a stop and on turns. Why downgrade the customers experience? I know, all in the name of mpg. But my Windstar gets 17/24 and my Edge gets 17/26. A whole 2 miles more on the highway which is 20% of my driving. Sigh. My Edge is not a rust bucket like the Windstar and it has the new tech which I love. My Windstar has 190,000 miles. Waiting to see if the eco boost engines can put up those kind of miles. Everything has pluses and minuses. But please Ford remember the customer's driving experience.

At this point for longevity-sake I'd rather have a naturally aspirated V6. Especially when towing.

I gotta agree with you on the looks, the 11-14 Edges are still great looking vehicles that look nothing like the latest batch of Cookie-cutter midsize SUVs. I like the direction Lincoln took with the MKX/Nautilus but the Edge definitely needs some design help in the next round.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...