G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

Yeah all good points.

Steeda's can for the Fusion Sport is larger and holds 3 ounces similar to the JLT but with the same filter on the inside.

I decided to use what I had since it's better than nothing in my opinion. Since I can see the contents, I drain it regularly but will probably replace it with something more substantial in the future.

• Like 1

I'd avoid designs that utilize sintered bronze. If they ever plug up you will only know about it when your seals start leaking because of crankcase pressure build up. The best designs rely on mesh as has already been mentioned. Easy to clean and far less likely to plug up.

Here is a UPR 4 stage catch can like the plug and play version on my other car and soon to become a plug and play unit for my Nautilus once I get done making the mounting bracket.

20190525_225135.jpg

20190525_225147_HDR.jpg

20190511_011931_HDR.jpg

20190525_225057.jpg

Edited by handfiler
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, Project_Edge said:

I came home from work today to find a package from JLT on my porch. I don't know how it got here but it fits my car so....   ?

I'm looking to buy a JLT catch can for my ST but only found through '18s on their site. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Nevermind, clicking the link states '19 ST compatibility.

Edited by Doomstang
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing a spare UPR 4 stage catch can on my Nautilus.

The mounting bracket is made from 6061-T6 1/4'' plate and 3/4'' Delrin round stock.

Stainless steel 1/4'' NPT street elbows and 1/4'' NPT to 5/8" barbed fittings are used on the catch can.

The Ford 90* fittings are leftovers from a supercharger install.

I went with grip lock fuel/oil hose, same as what UPR use for their plug & play systems.

I gave Gates shrink clamps a try for this project and highly recommend them. They give the hose assemblies a factory made look.

This can is  smaller in diameter and longer in length than a JLT can and that's why I located it where it is. An upside to that is unobstructed access to the oil filter. I'm into it for just under $ 40 not including the catch can cost.

Output side is nice and dry after 1,200 km.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great info on this thread about the catch cans.  I'm undecided yet on which I'll go with.  

I understand the issue of the buildup on the valves.  I come from the diesel development side of an OE Engine Manufacturer and we were required to do this Closed Crankcase Ventilation for emissions regulations starting back in 2004, so I get it, understand the concepts, have tested multiple iterations during engine development, etc.

But I have kind of a dumb question I guess.

For those of us in non-strict emission states like California, why don't we just vent to atmosphere? 

That will eliminate the whole buildup issue, period.  That's what was done back in the day, but I get that then you won't be meeting the whole emissions thing.  If you install an oil separator at the cover to let the oil condense out and go back into the valve cover and only allow the gasses out, it shouldn't make a mess of your engine.

The way I look at it, a little combustion gas vented to atmosphere is nothing compared to the other prior emissions tier vehicles on the road still, or the guys that throw these massive tunes on the vehicles that bypass all the emissions equipment totally.

Just a thought I'd had.  Looking for some of your input.

17 minutes ago, plumkrazy80 said:

Great info on this thread about the catch cans.  I'm undecided yet on which I'll go with.  

I understand the issue of the buildup on the valves.  I come from the diesel development side of an OE Engine Manufacturer and we were required to do this Closed Crankcase Ventilation for emissions regulations starting back in 2004, so I get it, understand the concepts, have tested multiple iterations during engine development, etc.

But I have kind of a dumb question I guess.

For those of us in non-strict emission states like California, why don't we just vent to atmosphere? 

That will eliminate the whole buildup issue, period.  That's what was done back in the day, but I get that then you won't be meeting the whole emissions thing.  If you install an oil separator at the cover to let the oil condense out and go back into the valve cover and only allow the gasses out, it shouldn't make a mess of your engine.

The way I look at it, a little combustion gas vented to atmosphere is nothing compared to the other prior emissions tier vehicles on the road still, or the guys that throw these massive tunes on the vehicles that bypass all the emissions equipment totally.

Just a thought I'd had.  Looking for some of your input.

I know people that have added a hose down near the ground with a small filter attached.

For me, I'll go with my catch can as its not much effort or cost to help towards improving the air we breathe, ....... and everything collected in the catch can I put in my waste oil container that goes to AutoZone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2