G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

Howdy folks,

So here I am with an update to the JLT oil catch installation. I hope I don't get anyone riled up here because I am just trying to help. Please don't hurt me!!! So I received mine yesterday and had it installed in less than 15-ok 20 minutes. And that was including me going to take a wee. I am attaching images as well. I do however want to address some concerns that were brought up by Xtra and others. I am addressing each of those points from his post dated 10 May. There are those who may question why so many folks feel the JLT system will work better even though it only addresses one side of the engine. It has been explained before, however this is not an issue that is new, or that has not been dealt with in the past. JLT have in fact tested their system in numerous vehicles on the clean side as well as the dirty side. Sure, some engines may require a can on the clean side, however that would largely depend on how that vehicle is used-or abused. Again, I have installed dual JLT cans on two of my high performance Mustangs and never saw a single drop on the clean side even after thousands of miles of driving. Neither of those engines had any sign of oil or vapor intrusion on the driver's side. If it were necessary or if it were an issue then it would have been addressed. I've installed oil catch cans on other high performance vehicles as well because it is an important item to have. If you are still unsure and have questions I would say to contact Vinny and have him explain that for you. So here goes...

1. The RX can is a four chamber system. OK. The JLT is also a multi-stage unit as well. If you need to know how many ask Vinny. The entire point of the oil separator, or oil catch can system is to catch the oil vapors as they pass through the PCV system, and trap whatever oil is inside that vapor to drop it into the can at the bottom before it is recirculated back into the engine. (WHEW). Here is a simple description of how the JLT system works. This is directly from their website. Pretty simple really.

Filtering consists of a fine mesh stainless steel screen that traps fine oil vapors and releases them once heavy enough to fall. They then pass through a 1/2" thick 1/16th" aluminum honeycomb filter where they grow every larger and then fall into the bottom. By the time the oil gets through the filter it's too heavy to be passed on into the intake. The tank holds 3 oz of fluid, while that may not sound like a lot, you shouldn’t see that much oil in your PCV system. Drain it every 2000-3000 miles and you will never come close to filling it.

2. The RX is a very large can and holds more so you don't have to service it as often. OK again. Here's the thing. That can, no matter how big it is can only hold as much oil as the PCV system can release into it. How often are you expecting to empty it? Prior to JLT releasing the 3 oz can over a year ago I installed two of the smaller cans on my Boss 302. The can on the driver's side was virtually empty, and the one on the passenger side might release half an oz. over a two month period of driving. This was a high output 5 liter Boss engine. I had the newer 3 oz cans on my 2016 GT350 and the same thing happened. Not much if anything on the driver's side, however with the new 3 oz can I would empty about the same amount as the Boss 302, but now in a larger can. Unless you are driving the crap out of your vehicle and putting it through some serious abuse, you will never fill it up unless there are major issues with your engine. This means the RX system with it's large can can go forever and ever and ever. Does that mean you'd just be lazy and not empty it because you assume it won't need to be emptied? For the purpose of this system, the RX kit is severe overkill and really just unnecessary. And very complex in the grand scheme of things.

On another note I have read where some folks have experienced a foamy residue as well as the oil. This is in part due to the can being remotely mounted. Talk to Vinny and he can explain just why that happens. It has to do a whole lot with temperature differences.

3. The RX has a ball valve and a drain hose. The other you have to disassemble to empty. Really? The JLT can is securely mounted to the vehicle so when you unscrew the can it takes all of a few twists of the wrist and it is in your hand. Just empty the oil inside the can and thread it back onto the mount. It's a NO_BRAINER I PROMISE. This means there are no valves or hoses to fiddle with. It's a one handed operation that takes seconds to complete. Just make sure you tighten the can against the rubber 'O' ring.

4. The RX has a CSS Clean Side Separator the other does not. Absolutely correct. The thing is there is no point in even having the 'CLEAN' side addressed in these vehicles because there just isn't an issue with it. As I mentioned previously, the clean side is the driver's side, which never had any oil even on my Boss 302 or GT350. If you were tracking the vehicle, and again abusing the crap out of it regularly, then maybe, just maybe you might need to address it. However the amount of oil you would see would be negligible. So to address this concern-THERE IS NO POINT... Now if someone decided they wanted a can on the driver's side then I am confident Vinny would be more than happy to take care of that issue for you. It would use the very same can, however the hoses would be different, but with the same quick-disconnects.

5.The RX costs more. A lot more. A whole lot more... Enough said.

6.The RX does fit nice but because the RX can is larger there are less places to mount it than the other in the tight Edge Sport engine compartment. When I saw how the RX can was mounted it really bothered me. It sits cramped against the battery and partially obstructs the air filter cover. My other issue is what would happen if any of those fittings or hoses were to fail and there was enough hot oil to spray onto the battery? We all know what happens when petroleum products and spark/fire are mixed together. Not pretty. Sure that may be a far-fetched situation, but what happens when your'e throwing your Edge around a track or putting it through it's paces, and say you decide because you have a really big can it isn't necessary to empty it as often, and a fitting or hose fails? Is that a chance your'e willing to take? It's just a question. I overthink things maybe, but this is important to consider no matter how remote the possibility... It's all relevant.

I am an aircraft avionics engineer and a pilot. I always, ALWAYS err on the side of safety over all else. I have designed systems for various European sports cars over the years and it doesn't matter what that system is, the design has to be sound and safe. Whether driving the family mini van or a hyper super car-SAFETY ALWAYS COMES FIRST!!! The fact the RX unit sits against the battery is a design flaw plain and simple. It is after-all a remotely mounted system which means they might as well have mounted it at the bottom of the engine bay because the hoses are so freaking long. Can you imagine how long it takes for any vapors to reach that can and then to do it's job?

I am only bringing any of this up because of how large the can is and where it is located. For me simple is better if it works better. Once you actually look at the OEM hose on the Edge and see how short it is, and then how short the JLT hose is , it will all make sense. Clean and simple. I can't stress this enough. And yes I know there will be the folks who have purchased the RX system and back it up to the end of days. That is fine. The fact there wasn't anything else available meant that you did what you had to do to protect the engine. I applaud everyone who did that because it shows you care about the vehicle. At the end of the day it's what you feel comfortable with, and well, how much money you have to spend.

If you have the RX system installed, unless you can sell it I don't know that I would remove it because it's done. But if your'e contemplating which system to buy, look at the pros and cons of each one and do the math. If push comes to shove we can have Vinny do the driver's side can and together you'd still save between $200-300 over the RX system. Now how many oil changes can you buy with that I ask?

OK, I am finished here. To clarify things-I am not and have never been in business or ca-hoots with JLT. I have just installed enough of their products over the years to know a good product. Vinny has ALWAYS taken care of me and answered my questions. My philosophy has always revolved around customer service. Even if the product is poopoo, if the customer service is great then they will take care of it. In this case the customer service and the product are great. It's really all I can say. To know your vehicle is protected and the product is simple and easy to maintain, AND it works-then what else is there to do? Good luck to everyone and please take a look at the attached images.

In just a little over two weeks I will be on the road traveling for work for an extended period of time. My brand new Edge Sport with it's brand new JLT oil can will be parked inside a garage in Texas, and boy do I not like that. Be safe everyone and please don't chastise me for writing such a long and drawn out post. I am just very detail-oriented and that carries over in my writing. Back in the day my business and vehicles were in car magazines from the USA to Europe, and I wrote most of the stories. Boy those were the days. Take care.

Howie

post-50328-0-16914400-1526229848_thumb.jpg

post-50328-0-32386100-1526229856_thumb.jpg

post-50328-0-53478800-1526229864_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Are the Boss 302 and the GT350 supercharged? Forced induction engines behave a bit differently from normally aspirated engines, so the cleanside will have a greater chance of blowby there. But still, like you said, it won't be much compared to the dirtyside, which is usually 95% of the problem. With forced induction cleanside setups, you have to have a check ball/valve so it functions correctly under both boost and non-boost conditions. Probably easier to skip the CSS entirely.

Those two vehicles even though they do not have forced-induction still produce quite a lot of blow-by. JLT are already producing and selling a kit like this for the Explorer 3.5 EcoBoost as well as the F150 versions. These also only require the passenger side kit. They do a great job of explaining this on their website if interested.

The Boss 302 and GT350 are both high output engines and even though both sides are offered, only really requires the passenger side. If anyone really feels the need to have the driver's side can then I will ask Vinny if he will do a fitment for that as well. In the grand scheme of things if people aren't going to buy it then there would be no point in offering it. Maybe if we can get an idea of the interest that would help a lot.

Cheers,

Howie

• Like 1

I need to clarify the last post. The Boss 302 and GT350 are high output engines, however they have not, in my experience with them, produced any significant amount of oil in the catch cans on either side. The passenger side did have some, however I never saw any in the driver's side. Sorry about that. Yes forced-induction engines would tend to produce more blow-by, and maybe some owner's notice more than others. As a whole I can't say how much that might be as I did not install one into my 2016 Lariat F150 with 3.5 Eco-boost since I didn't have it for very long. That could have been an issue down the road, however I just didn't address it. My badd.

Howie

• Like 1

Those two vehicles even though they do not have forced-induction still produce quite a lot of blow-by. JLT are already producing and selling a kit like this for the Explorer 3.5 EcoBoost as well as the F150 versions. These also only require the passenger side kit. They do a great job of explaining this on their website if interested.

The Boss 302 and GT350 are both high output engines and even though both sides are offered, only really requires the passenger side. If anyone really feels the need to have the driver's side can then I will ask Vinny if he will do a fitment for that as well. In the grand scheme of things if people aren't going to buy it then there would be no point in offering it. Maybe if we can get an idea of the interest that would help a lot.

Cheers,

Howie

Howie,

In response to your request of interest...

After all of my research I'm definitely going with JLT.

Vinney and I have been talking directly and I'm waiting for him to confirm fitment for the larger catch can cup.

Also, hopefully I was successful at persuading him to do a true CAI for this application since no one has to date, that I'm aware of.

BTW, awesome research along with well founded factual write ups...way to go... :hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

Hi to snmjim and to enigma-2. The can size that JLT now offers is the 3 oz as opposed to the older 1 oz they used to do. It is substantially larger even though it doesn't sound like much. I too was going to ask him about a CAI, however with me putting the vehicle away for quite awhile I just don't have the need at this time. Hell by the time I get back from traveling it may be time to trade in for a new Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio. I wanted one this time around however it wasn't available yet. If that happens I'll be posting my 2018 with less than 2000 miles on the clock. I'll keep everyone informed in the event that happens.

In answer to enigma-2's questions- the oil catch can is not a permanent or invasive addition to the engine, and in fact will not hamper in any way how the engine performs. It will not alter the ECU and will not throw any codes. Even if it were an issue it can be removed and the OEM hose installed in less than 20 minutes. I've had my Boss and GT350 at the dealership when both cans were installed and I never had any issues.

This is not however a California CARB approved device, so not sure how they would treat it. Either way it will not change any of the engine characteristics. It is just catching oil as it passes through it's normal route via the PCV system. Again I divert questions to the main man Vinny.

I hope the images I uploaded earlier allowed everyone to see just how simple this is to install. Good luck to all and enjoy.

Cheers,

Howie

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to jump in here to see if we could help clarify a few questions.

While this Edge application is new to us, the 2.7EB engine isn't. Our truck kits that include fitment for the 2.7 F150 are by far our most popular kit. You can find many reviews on these on some of the larger websites that sell them (Americantrucks, Summit, CJ pony parts etc).

Our can's are a single chamber (use a two stage filter). They are simplistic, easy to install, easy to service and affordable.

Why not do a clean side setup?

In our testing initially on the 15+ 2.7 and 3.5 trucks, we did install a setup on the clean side. Both trucks after 1k miles had cans that were still completely bone dry. Is that a be-all-end-all that no oil can make it through the clean side? No, but in comparison to the PCV side it's not even in the same ballpark.

Other issues for the 2015+ trucks is they have a crankcase pressure sensor in this line, changing the volume of air in this line (such as adding a catch can) can put this sensor out of range and cause a Check engine light.

With that said, I've seen trucks some of the 11-14 3.5 EB Trucks put oil into the clean side. In most of those scenarios the trucks were work horses for them...These people towed heavy loads where the truck was in boost for long periods of time.

Clean side vs dirty side(PCV)

The PCV side connects from the PCV valve on the rear valve cover to the intake manifold. Thus there is a vacuum source drawing on the crankcase any time you are running the vehicle, idle, cruise etc. The PCV valve will close anytime you are above atmospheric pressure (think entering boost). In which the crankcase evacuation will be handled by the front side valve cover to the turbo inlet pipe.

Now for any contaminates to make it to the engine through the clean side they have to first make it through.

The turbo

Hot side Charge pipes

Intercooler
Cold side Charge pipes.

What's the route for the PCV "Dirty" side?

The PCV hose.

The RX can's and some of the other can's on the market are VERY nice. I highly recommend purchasing an oil separator (catch can) for your Edge. No matter the brand, it's a wise decision for extended engine performance and longevity.

In my opinion and our testing no single can is going to stop it ALL while maintaining the vacuum source for crankcase evacuation however you can slow down the build up significantly by adding one.

• Like 1

To chime in on Vinny's point...

I'd also recommend that once you install whichever catch can U choose U should also consider having your intake manifold pulled 2 have your intake ports & valves blast cleaned due 2 the lack of having a catch can, not a hard job but well worth it now that U have significantly mitigated the cause.

Ref the clear before & after Pics of an S4 Audi direct injected Supercharged V6 at 50k-60k miles.

There has been deliberation that since the clear Pics are not of a 2015-2018 Edge Sport they do not substantiate the point however they do but just to put the disbelievers to rest we pulled the throttle body off our 2016 Edge Sport with 56k miles and took Pics of the intake, ports and valves using a bore scope.

We mostly use 93 octane, drive suburbs but mostly highway, aggressive driver, change oil 3500 mi and live in MD.

You can now make your own decision based on facts... :hat_tip:

Note: you will have to be familiar with looking at scope Pics to see what your looking for so we adjusted the Pics the best we could to help those out who aren't familiar with this type of Pic:

post-46284-0-74064300-1526308657_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-96695300-1526308676_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-02856900-1530231707_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-50084500-1530231723_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-25185700-1530231738_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-99219000-1530231748_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-79162200-1530231760_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-83688600-1530231768_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-31480200-1530231776_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-96092500-1530231782_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-10126200-1530231790_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

Thanks for the clarification Vinny. I know that installing two cans on an NA engine, such as the Boss 302 and GT350 I had were easy and straight-forward. The Eco-boost engines are far from being simple, and as stated the sensor on the clean side makes things a little iffy. I have to agree that installing a catch can system of any brand is better than nothing at all, however for me simple is better and a lot less involved. I've used the JLT cans on enough of my vehicles to know they are well made, easy to maintain and do the job.

I doubt anyone will argue that once they install the JLT unit and realize not only did they save a buttload of money, but it's just so easy to empty. Heck I think I just sold myself on one and I already have one.

Good luck everyone.

Cheers

Howie

• Like 1

Fyi, this was my Team RXP catch can on my 2.0 Ecoboost with just around 2,000 miles on it after an oil changed, in January/February with temps at or below freezing. I had nearly the same amount after another 2,000ish miles. Basically had to drain the catch can twice within 4,000ish miles with nearly identical results.

post-41964-0-95435300-1526339653_thumb.jpg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

Snmjim where did you get your intake valves cleaned at?

We do our own work & it's done with a specific special tool, aka material blaster, that can B purchased at Harbor Freight, of all places of which I cant stand...lol

It is my understanding that few shops will do this process because it's considered custom work.

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

To chime in on Vinny's point...I'd also recommended that once you install whichever catch can U choose U should also consider having your intake manifold pulled 2 have your intake ports & valves blast cleaned due 2 the lack of having a catch can, not a hard job but well worth it now that U have significantly mitigated the cause. Ref before & after Pics.

Are those images of your own vehicle, a Ford Edge Sport?

Edited by 1004ron

Hey guys and gals,

I saw Lildisco's post about his 2.0 Ecoboost and yes that looks different from anything I have even gotten out of a catch can on any vehicle. He is in a colder climate and even though I have been in temps of around the 20's where I live, I have never had anything like this. There could be many reasons for that, and I would ask Vinny about that because he is even more knowledgeable than myself in this area.

He did say that because the RXP catch can is so remotely isolated from the PCV system the differences in temperature can cause exactly what you are seeing here. With the JLT can being so close I have never seen anything like this. Temperatures from the engine to the can are very close so this is not a normal issue. Again speak with the Vinny guy.

I checked my can the other day after a few hundred miles and nothing yet. I will keep an eye on it as I travel to Texas before I head out for a few months for work. I hope this system helps everyone who installs it. It is well worth the money, but if you decide to cough up the dough for the RXP system, I wish you good luck. I've never had a reason to go that deep on any car, but do what is comfortable for you. Enjoy your Edge's and have a safe summer all.

Cheers,

Howie

• Like 1

We'll start with Vinny is awesome to talk to and a wealth of validated Info.

JLT Performance
POC: Vinny
757-335-1940

1008 Executive Blvd
Chesapeake, VA 23320

When we ordered the JLT catch can it was in our possession in 2-3 days then to top it off when we opened the box to our amazement we saw what looked equal in quality to a catch can produced by Ford specifically for the Edge, it was just that high in quality!

Oh, and did we mention VERY reasonably priced!

No, we're not getting kick backs and to add to the emphasis...we cancelled an RXP order immediately after opening the box, it was just that visually impressive!

The install was easy, quick and clean.

Basically, remove an easily accessible hose, add a bracket to an existing bolt and route two short hoses to the same points you removed the one hose from.

Data points completed:

Installed at 54k miles

- 1200-1500 mi (Ref Pic)

- 2000-2500 mi (Ref Pic)

- 3500-4000 (Ref Pics)

Notes:

2500 mi check performed - 23 July 2018

Vehicle miles - 57625
Avg Temp for past 30 days - 85-95 degrees with 80% humidity
Driving Conditions - 75% Hwy / 25% Suburbs

3500 mi check performed - 07 Dec 2018

Vehicle miles - 63,874
Avg Temp for past 30 days - 35-45 degrees with 65% humidity
Driving Conditions - 75% Hwy / 25% Suburbs
Note: higher Qty & lighter color as weather gets colder...quiz time: why?...Clue: its normal...?

Last & final measurement performed - 3500 miles

post-46284-0-95066000-1526903226_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-73153200-1526903255_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-21735900-1526903378_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-69423900-1526903448_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-12435900-1526904056_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-37065000-1529294038_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-21443000-1532382125_thumb.jpg

20181207_110330.jpg

20181207_110001.jpg

20181207_110120.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3

After looking at both the RX and JLT cans I decided to cancel my RX order and go for the JLT can. The points that won me over was the ease of installation and how it used stock snap on fittings. The other thing was the super clean OEM look of the finished installed can and hose. Also I can remove the entire unit quickly and return the car to stock for any service or smog requirements . Last, after I found this video I was sold. I love the price but value was not the deciding factor, the JLT can is simply the best for my needs.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3