G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

It's hard to believe that someone could come up with a product so far below the current going price, but it would most certainly draw a lot of interest.

Why don't they rent a Sport for a day to do the mock-up?

For $139 or thereabouts for the kit I would imagine there would be a huge amount of owners wanting to make this happen.

Right now I am trying to get these done for folks who don't have $400 or $500 to spend on an item that is necessary.

Edited by 1004ron

It's hard to believe that someone could come up with a product so far below the current going price, but it would most certainly draw a lot of interest.

Why don't they rent a Sport for a day to do the mock-up?

For what it is, I can't believe people get away with charging so much for them. I can see the fittings costing a good penny. When I was building my mustang, paying $15 a fitting for fuel lines gave me sticker shock

But for a can and some tubing, $500 is absolutely insane. Billet or not, I can't justify something like that. I mean, a stainless steel overflow tank is like $50, so where does the other $450 come from? I don't know much about catch cans, so maybe I shouldn't even be talking here!

It's not just a can. A good catch can is going to have a couple of different chambers/sections to have the gases to condensate & then collect after that. The el cheapo cans on ebay are usually just an open can with 1 inlet & outlet & nothing to allow the gases to condensate. There's a lot more to a catch can than just a can & piping. A good quality can like teamrxp.com's, you're paying for the quality of the welds & craftsmanship as the well as engineering/research that went into it. (would you really like the can to expand/exploded/leak after the system is pressurized or after a hard run(s)?) Also the teamrxp.com can has 3 connections while most have 2. The purpose is so that you're constantly catching all that gunk in boost & in vacuum,not many cans do that. Again, that's part of the engineering involved.

I'm not knocking anyone's product or choices, but i just wanted to make sure that people know that's it just more than a can that goes between intake manifold & pcv.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

It's not just a can. A good catch can is going to have a couple of different chambers/sections to have the gases to condensate & then collect after that. The el cheapo cans on ebay are usually just an open can with 1 inlet & outlet & nothing to allow the gases to compensate. There's a lot more to a catch can than just a can & piping. A good quality can like teamrxp.com's, you're paying for the quality of the welds & craftsmanship as the well as engineering/research that went into it. (would you really like the can to expand/exploded/leak after the system is pressurized or after a hard run(s)?) Also the teamrxp.com can has 3 connections while most have 2. The purpose is so that you're constantly catching all that gunk in boost & in vacuum,not many cans do that. Again, that's part of the engineering involved.

I'm not knocking anyone's product or choices, but i just wanted to make sure that people know that's it just more than a can that goes between intake manifold & pcv.

Would be interesting to hear a counter argument from JLT Performance who judging from Howie's post, can undercut the competitors prices drastically while equaling or exceeding the quality and performance.

Would be interesting to hear a counter argument from JLT Performance who judging from Howie's post, can undercut the competitors prices drastically while equaling or exceeding the quality and performance.

Snmjim and I will be headed down there soon for test fitment and explanation and will post our findings

• Like 2

Finished the walkthrough! See attached. Its a Draft version as I am awaiting confirmation from TeamRXP that it was all installed correctly. I have no check engine lights and the vehicle feels the same as it did previously.

A great post with valuable information that will help many. As more performance parts become available for the G2 Edge Sport these instructional posts are very important. Thanks for taking the time. :hat_tip:

• Like 1

Just found out the 2018 2.7L Ecoboost in the F150 has been updated. This may help with intake valve coking. I can only hope that this G2 2.7L is in the 2018 Edge as well.

"The 2.7-liter EcoBoost also gets dual port and direct-injection, which bumps its torque figures up by 25 lb-ft from 375. And like the 3.3-liter, the 2.7-liter’s torque comes on sooner, peaking at 2,750 rpm compared to 3,000 rpm from last year’s 2.7. Horsepower remains 325 at 5,750 rpm."

My source:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-ford-f-150-gets-a-new-engine-and-more-horsepow-1796143724

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Hi folks,

I have been speaking with Vinny at JLT over the past week and he has finished the oil catch can for the Edge Sport. I don't know how long it will take to get them into the inventory, but he did say several owner's have already placed orders. They already have the cans as they are the same 3 oz. units they install on many other applications, however the tubing is the main difference. The fittings are OEM quick release and the installation should take even a novice less than 30 minutes. It should take much less than that, however the engine cover does need to be removed, which is held in-place by two 10mm bolts. I will have mine in a few days and will upload images as well.

I also wanted to comment about the whole oil catch can issue because it seems there are a number of forum members who may not know exactly what is involved with this very important piece of equipment. I won't go into the details of how it works as there are forum members who have explained it well enough. JLT explains it on their website as well, and doing a google search will also get your questions answered. Owner's who have spent over $300 and some in excess of $500 are understandably upset for thinking they needed to install such a complicated system. This particular system is just unnecessary for all but a few owner's who might track or race their vehicle. For the other 90% it is overkill and a huge waste of money. The JLT kit is very user-friendly and as mentioned above is very easy to install, and very easy to service. Please don't misunderstand me-I am not stating in any way that the other system doesn't work. I'm just stating that it is unnecessary in this application.

I have purchased these JLT kits for my 2012 Boss 302 and my 2016 Shelby GT350 and it took less than 10 minutes on each of those vehicles to install. I installed the driver side and passenger side catch cans, however the driver side rarely catches much oil, if any at all. I installed them mostly as a precaution as I was tracking the cars. The passenger side it where the bulk of the oil is caught, and this is true as well for the Edge Sport. Therefore JLT is only selling the passenger side can at this time. I would assume if someone wanted one for the other side Vinny would build one up for you. You would need to speak with him of course.

To clarify some things about these cans, they are not just a piece of billet aluminum with a tube going in one side and another tube going out the other. These cans have very fine mesh screens and filters to allow the oil vapors to settle in the bottom of the can as larger oil droplets. The vapors inside a PCV system carry oil and moisture and can damage an engine over time. For forced-induction engines these cans are even more important.

The reason the JLT system is so inexpensive is because the tubing is very short and mounts closer to the engine than a remote system. This means less cost for materials and a cleaner install as well. These cans are not low-quality pieces either. The hoses are molded to fit each specific application and have the OEM quick release connectors as well.

I have no affiliation with JLT other than having purchased several of their systems for my high-performance vehicles over the years. The products are easy to install and work great. You can find their kits on-line at almost every performance shop because they work. The system I installed on my C63 AMG was much more involved, but worked the same way. It was not a JLT product because JLT works predominantly with American made vehicles. I have purchased other oil catch can kits for other vehicles and had to customize the rubber hoses, which only used standard metal hose clamps. Sure they worked ok, but JLT has gone to a lot of trouble to make their kits easy to install and easy to maintain.

I contacted Vinny because he and his engineers do great work, and they want to offer the best products for their customers at a fair price. When I spoke with him last week he told me he had posted several messages on various Edge forums, but had very little interest so they didn't pursue the kits. When I posted here a little over a week ago, I stated he would offer a free system to someone if they would bring their vehicle in to have the mock up done. Someone did in fact contact Vinny but they just were not able to make the drive for whatever reason. Vinny was finally able to get an Edge Sport into their shop and complete the work.

He told me he has posted images on Facebook and then contacted me to let me know the status. Several people have already placed orders, and as stated earlier I ordered a kit as well. Once I have it installed I will post images. I have not posted on any other Edge forums concerning the JLT system, but I can assure you now that it is being sold it will spread pretty quickly. Vinny will be listing it on their site soon and I urge everyone to take advantage of this very well-built and easy to install system. Although the other system addresses the issues with oil blow by, it just isn't necessary for this vehicle on a day to day basis. Also I am NOT saying in any way that that system isn't a good system. That isn't for me to say as I haven't used one. What I am saying is the JLT system is a very good system and doesn't address issues that aren't necessary.

At the end of the day if you have questions please feel free to call Vinny and ask questions. He is more than happy to answer them for you. Ask him about other vehicles as they do sell a Base kit with billet aluminum can and various nylon fittings with mounting brackets. I saw a need for a simple solution to a major problem for the Edge Sport, and I contacted someone who I knew could build a kit. They did that and they made it happen in less than a week. Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

Now all I need to do is get a big, fat front splitter and a snorkel hood scoop made and all will be perfect... I'm just kidding. :drool:

Happy Motoring to all

Howie

Edited by Howster
  • Like 1

Great write up Howie and thnx 4 taking the time.

FYI,

SpecialK & myself R the ones that jumped on contacting Vinny 2 do fitment however B4 he could give us a fitment date he cancelled because he was able 2 get a local Edge from one of his dealership sources.

Thnx again 4 helping us move Fwd with this platform!

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

Hey snmjim,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and am sorry you guys weren't able to get to Vinny in-person. He mentioned the drive was 3 or 4 hours or something like that, and that he was able to secure a vehicle from the local Ford dealership. I guess the upside for you guys is you didn't have to drive a day to do a mock up that took not a lot of time.

At the end of the day there is a very nice alternative to the other system that is reasonably priced, high quality, and easy to install. I am happy I was able to help with this. I know how expensive these things can be and I am glad about the end result. Now I get to install one and enjoy it just like everyone else. I am more than happy to assist where I can, so please don't hesitate to contact me if the need arises. I will be traveling for work for an extended period of time, however I will have a laptop with me. Sadly I won't be driving the Edge Sport so it will be parked in my ex's garage until I return. Sure I will have her go out once in a while and wreak havoc on ALL sports cars large and small. It's the least I can do. Another just kidding moment... :dogwalk:

At the end of the day if you have questions please feel free to call Vinny and ask questions. He is more than happy to answer them for you. Ask him about other vehicles as they do sell a Base kit with billet aluminum can and various nylon fittings with mounting brackets. I saw a need for a simple solution to a major problem for the Edge Sport, and I contacted someone who I knew could build a kit. They did that and they made it happen in less than a week. Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

Now all I need to do is get a big, fat front splitter and a snorkel hood scoop made and all will be perfect... I'm just kidding. :drool:

Happy Motoring to all

Howie

Is this the proper link to the one you are referring to?

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=524_526_590&zenid=431s33r7fa5r46c5r16j8iaca4

It says in stock as of now... I need to get me one. That price is worth paying. those insanely priced other kits are a no go for me! Some of us don't have daddy to pay our bills or buy our vehicles for us!

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=524_526_590&zenid=431s33r7fa5r46c5r16j8iaca4

It says in stock as of now... I need to get me one. That price is worth paying. those insanely priced other kits are a no go for me! Some of us don't have daddy to pay our bills or buy our vehicles for us!

No daddy money here, bought my expensive TeamRXP kit on my own... well maybe it is daddy money since Im a daddy now lol

#Daddyissues

• Like 1

I think I'll buy the one with the best value. ;)

I thinking the same, once I can confirm which one is the best value.

The $139 certainly perked my interest, but I'm holding out until I can find an explanation of the functional differences between it and the $550 ones, and a few reviews on how effective it is.

• Like 1

The $139 certainly perked my interest, but I'm holding out until I can find an explanation of the functional differences between it and the $550 ones, and a few reviews on how effective it is.

I have not installed my RX can yet but here are a few differences.

+ 1. The RX can is a 4 chamber design to help catch fumes and turn them into liquid. I am not sure but I think the

other one is a single chamber.

+ 2. The RX is a very large can and holds more so you don't have to service it as often.

+ 3. The RX has a ball valve and a drain hose. The other you have to disassemble to empty.

+ 4. The RX has a CSS Clean Side Separator the other does not.

- 5. The RX costs more.

- 6. The RX does fit nice but because the RX can is larger there are less places to mount it than the other in the

tight Edge Sport engine compartment.

That's all I can think of for now but I think there are more. I will be sure to post my results after the install is complete. And that will not be soon, I have other mods to deal with for now.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I won't go into the details of how it works as there are forum members who have explained it well enough. JLT explains it on their website as well, and doing a google search will also get your questions answered.

Owner's who have spent over $300 and some in excess of $500 are understandably upset for thinking they needed to install such a complicated system. This particular system is just unnecessary for all but a few owner's who might track or race their vehicle. For the other 90% it is overkill and a huge waste of money. The JLT kit is very user-friendly and as mentioned above is very easy to install, and very easy to service.

I haven't see a detailed explanation showing how the JLT can works to compare it to the other manufacturers detailed animated graphics/schematics - JLT don't really explain the true workings of their system on their web site.

Haven't heard of any upset owners of the more expensive systems.

This JLT one has perked my interest, but I'll not be spending any money on it until the operating reviews or good, or detailed explanation convinces me that it actually works as they have it configured on the Edge Sport.

• Like 1