NO paddle shifters on the 2019 Edge FWD... WHAT??

tk2fast

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

Go do your homework!

UGH FINE. But i need your help with it..... the first question on my homework page is:

Question 1: Do paddle shifters come with a 2019 Ford Edge

A- No

B- Yes

C- A&B

D- Its a safety hazard and the owner should be reimbursed

E- None of above

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

you guys are really funny. This as I recall started out because of no lower gear to shift to to slow the 2019 Edge in hilly/mountain roads. Of further testing I've completed and doing some research on shift points Ford could easily change the shift points and with changed shift points and while in cruise slow the Edge down. The threshold for the cruise to downshift is 35 mph but even then the the shiftpoint overspeed is 8 MPH. WOW, why is this why Ford has the shiftpoint the way they are? Can you say gas mileage............... The general manager of the dealership agrees there's an issue with the cruise control as I stated to him, it's David poking goliath and goliath doesn't care for such. By the way I have a son who's 56 owns his own company and thinks similar to me. I have another son a couple years younger from MI who works for a auto manufacture and guess what, he thinks like you guys. 

As long as you guys get your jollies posting with attempt to ridicule it's ok by me.

Edited by David Dewhurst

No millennial here, I'm 59 and I still race MX.  I use the brakes to slow down on bikes, just like in cars.  Have you overheated your brakes yet?  I've only overheated the brakes in any car exactly one time, pounding laps in my BMW 330i ZHP at Monitcello Raceway.  10 laps into the session the pedal just went to the floor and I almost went into the grass.  I just can't see this happening on the road, even in a high performance sports car being driven aggressively, much less in an Edge trundling around.  But what do I know?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Waldo said:

Fact, 7% slope road, crest hill at 25mph 1,200rpm.  floor it.  At bottom of hill mash the brake pedal, reach speed of 0mph.

Please tell me again why any of this matters?

Because mashing the brakes at the bottom of a hill to reduce or stop its acceleration, is not the best way to keep the vehicle under control.  But I'll let you guys get back to your debate. 

Here is what we’re saying,  It would be great if Ford included paddle shifters.   They are useful for holding lower gears especially when descending a mountain.  However, you can descend a mountain in D safely by using the brakes.  Just let off of them every once in awhile so they don’t get too hot.  Or worst case pull over for a few minutes.  It’s not a safety defect, it’s an inconvenience.

todd92, I've road course raced cars for years. Been there, do that and attempt to manage brake heat on a regular basis, as it's part of the game. Maybe sometime when you drive mountain switchbacks out west in serious mountains you'll understand.

JoeVic, your on solid ground.

akirby, 21st century vehicle expectation are that one is not required to give the vehicle a rest like one would a horse traveling up a mountain. Simply put FORD cheapened their 2019 Edge by eliminating the manual shift to Low gear and they acknowledged very straightforward in the Edge owners manual, "You should select a lower gear when the system is active in situations such as driving on steep grades, for example in mountains areas. The engine needs additional engine braking in these situations to reduce the load on the vehicle's regular brake system to prevent from overheating." Please continue reading the owner's manual so that it floats your boat.

Happy Turkey Day!!!  

Edited by David Dewhurst
Left word out

I'll say it for what, the 5th time now, the section on ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL is about ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL.  It only applies when you are USING ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL.  That's why it says "when the system is active".  Also note that in that section there are something like 15 "Warnings" that say if you don't do this you will die.  The suggestion to downshift is not one of those warnings, therefore Ford doesn't consider it a safety issue.

Edited by Waldo

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I'll say it for what, the 5th time now, the section on ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL is about ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL.  It only applies when you are USING ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL.  That's why it says "when the system is active".  Also note that in that section there are something like 15 "Warnings" that say if you don't do this you will die.  The suggestion to downshift is not one of those warnings, therefore Ford doesn't consider it a safety issue.

I have feeling this only applies when using ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL.......just a hunch 

Forget the paddle shifters for a moment, forget the no low gear in my Edge for a minute. My Edge has non-adaptive cruise control and within an Edge with adaptive cruise control when one switches the adaptive cruise control OFF, do you really believe you have anything different than non-adaptive cruise control? I'd suggest you then have the exact same cruise control and if you read a few more comments in the owner's manual, you'll clearly read there is a brake heat related issue in hilly/mountainous conditions. Twist it any way you please, when you have your foot on the brake pedal traveling down a mountain, the brake rotors and pads will heat up (worse yet is the brake fluid will also heat up and the pedal at some temperature will get soft and spongy) and there will be a safety issue the same as when one over uses the brakes on a race car. But then reading is like many things in life, different strokes for different folks. 

1 hour ago, David Dewhurst said:

Forget the paddle shifters for a moment, forget the no low gear in my Edge for a minute. My Edge has non-adaptive cruise control and within an Edge with adaptive cruise control when one switches the adaptive cruise control OFF, do you really believe you have anything different than non-adaptive cruise control? I'd suggest you then have the exact same cruise control and if you read a few more comments in the owner's manual, you'll clearly read there is a brake heat related issue in hilly/mountainous conditions. Twist it any way you please, when you have your foot on the brake pedal traveling down a mountain, the brake rotors and pads will heat up (worse yet is the brake fluid will also heat up and the pedal at some temperature will get soft and spongy) and there will be a safety issue the same as when one over uses the brakes on a race car. But then reading is like many things in life, different strokes for different folks. 

Vehicles with the adaptive cruise control will still use the brakes even when set to non-adaptive mode.   Brakes will heat up when they are used.  When using adaptive cruise control going down a hill, they might heat up to the point where the adaptive cruise control stops working.  This is not at the point where there is a safety issue, just an issue where the adaptive cruise control is no longer able to operate properly.  If it was really a safety issue, it would be in a big bold section that said "WARNING" at the top, just like all the actually safety issues.

7 hours ago, David Dewhurst said:

akirby, 21st century vehicle expectation are that one is not required to give the vehicle a rest like one would a horse traveling up a mountain. Simply put FORD cheapened their 2019 Edge by eliminating the manual shift to Low gear and they acknowledged very straightforward in the Edge owners manual, "You should select a lower gear when the system is active in situations such as driving on steep grades, for example in mountains areas. The engine needs additional engine braking in these situations to reduce the load on the vehicle's regular brake system to prevent from overheating." Please continue reading the owner's manual so that it floats your boat.

Of course it was cost cutting.   But Waldo is correct - what you're quoting is in the section on cruise control.

We're done here.  All we're doing is recycling the same arguments.

I suggest you either learn to live with it or go trade it.   Bitching about it on internet forums won't fix the issue or make you feel better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• akirby locked this topic