BBK 65MM Throttle Body for 2.7 Edge EcoBoost

Xtra

The first thing to do is remove the engine cover and then remove the negative battery terminal. Touch the negative terminal to the positive terminal to discharge the memory capacitors . This will allow the system to relearn the idle and the new throttle body curve.

post-46130-0-75293400-1529808667_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-74266400-1529815404_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-67978200-1529804599_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-56583900-1529804719_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Locate the throttle body and loosen the hose clamp, then remove the hose . The clamp will stay attached to the hose as it is designed that way .So just loosen it up and remove the hose.

post-46130-0-17543100-1529809984_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-86115800-1529809785_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-89251600-1529810096_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-58889100-1529810211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now use a 8mm wrench to loosen up the 4 bolts on the TB. I got them all broke loose then I took out the bottom bolt closest to the firewall first as it is the hardest to get to. After removing the OEM TB make sure the "O" ring is in place and clean before installing the new BBK 65mm TB.

post-46130-0-14094300-1529811268_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-30125700-1529811424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now just bolt in the new 65mmTB with the four 8mm bolts. Attach the control cable and push down on the red locking tab. Reattach the hose and tighten the hose clamp. Hook up the negative battery terminal and put on the engine cover. It took me around 45 min to this job. It was super easy to do. :2thumbs:

post-46130-0-93850300-1529811804_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-13645700-1529811856_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-73475700-1529811997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a very important part of the install. Now that the new TB is installed and the old memory has been erased, start the car and let it idle for 15 minutes. Make sure that all accessories are off , no radio headlights anything. Do not disturb the car by opening the doors or windows. just start it, get out of the car and let it run for the full 15 minutes . During this time the idle will re-calibrate and smooth out. After the full 15 minutes take the car for a test drive, just drive it normal not hard or baby it. This will let the transmission reset the shift points of the car.

After I did this my car ran much smoother. Some of the NVH in the cabin I attributed to the RMM at idle was just rough idle. This trick smoothed out the idle completly. The new TB works great and it is just what the car needed. It runs smoother and has more power than ever before. I believe that the new BBK 65MM TB complements the Comp Turbos, UPIC and the RamFab Pipe, it is just what the Dr. ordered. :)
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the write up, Xtra. Is there any data to support power gains at peak power or anywhere through the curve? Or is this data collected from the ol' butt dyno? I long contemplated the TB upgrade on my fusion sport but never pulled the trigger because I never saw any hard evidence of true power gains.

The factory optimizes the TB size for balanced power and to match the other intake components. Unless you open up the intake you may not get more air into the engine. If you can get more air then you can get more power at WOT but you also run the risk of slowing down the air entering the engine and losing torque at lower RPM.

You just need to decide what you want and understand the tradeoffs, especially if that’s the only modification.

• Like 1

My car has lots of mods so I cannot speak of how the TB effects a otherwise stock car. I was happy with the OEM TB when my car was stock and had no need to change it. As akirby said Ford optimizes the TB size for balanced power and to match the other intake components. I know that the TQ is up, not just by my but but by the way the tires break loose . All I have to do is punch the throttle ( not all the way open ) and the tires will break loose from 20 to 50 MPH easy. I want to record this somehow. We will see ?

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Sorry man. You have a nice car with some serious mods, but they ain't trying.

The kids might believe you but those of us who know what it takes to outrun a bike with someone who is trying know better.

Just let it go. You’re never going to convince him otherwise.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 3:46 AM, Xtra said:

Very soon within 2-3 weeks I just found someone with the skills and the equipment to do the job today.

Hey there Best Coast Brother!

Thnx for the DIY, great write up!

Question: 

Do you feel the performance gains were worth the money & effort expended?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, snmjim said:

Hey there Best Coast Brother!

Thnx for the DIY, great write up!

Question: 

Do you feel the performance gains were worth the money & effort expended?

Hello East Coast Bro. Thanks, I believe that the new TB compliments the other mods I have done and I like it. My car is a torque monster and it can break the wheels loose upon command, even while driving. I like to think that the BBK TB has something to do with that.  The BBK TB is stated by the manufacture to increase HP 8 to 12 at the wheels. The price has come down a bit from when I got mine I just saw it for $499 I believe mine was closer to $550. `It takes very little effort to install it so the big thing is the price.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

So it appears the Mustang EcoBoost and several others have the same Ford part number for the throttle body as the Edge ST 2.7? From the info I gathered people are running the BBK Mustang Ecoboost TB on the Edge.

Are there any 70mm + options that are also compatible without modifications? 

51 minutes ago, boostededge said:

So it appears the Mustang EcoBoost and several others have the same Ford part number for the throttle body as the Edge ST 2.7? From the info I gathered people are running the BBK Mustang Ecoboost TB on the Edge.

Are there any 70mm + options that are also compatible without modifications? 

Haven't noted any mention on this forum.

Besides if your not Tuning the majority of engine Mods will not have a significant benefit until the Tune is modified to know it's there and tweaked to take full advantage of it...:victory:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2