Hearing squealing/groaning from wheels & steering

I only have 10.5K miles on a 2017 Edge Titanium AWD and it'll be headed back to the dealer for a second time in less than a year.

On long drives greater than an hour I hear what sounds like squealing/groaning while braking and steering to the right or left, but mostly toward the right. Sounds localized to the front right wheel but the sound also reverberates from the engine/steering.

Was thinking it could be a stuck caliper, or a wheel bearing. Over the weekend I did feel a little pulsation in the pedal at crawling speeds but it has since stopped.

Any ideas?

Just a thought here and probably not your problem but it could be. Find out what happens on cement and\or dirt roads. It's been so hot here the last couple of weeks that just sitting in the driveway cars sink into the asphalt and leave divots. Turning the wheels on asphalt is sometimes like the tires have been glued to the asphalt. Was just laughing about this today when leaving the grocery store.

You might also want to try a lube job. If it's untypically hot where you are the grease used on your car may be breaking down. A couple of years ago I was at an off road desert race where it was abnormally hot and grease was puddling under the trucks like they all had oil leaks. The underfunded, independent teams were scrambling to get their hands on higher temperature lubes because what didn't leak out was too thin to do the job. That year the race had the highest number of non-finishers recorded and all due to the heat.

If this isn't your problem you're doing no harm and if it is, it's much less expensive than tearing in to your suspension and brakes.

Edited by I'manedgeowner
  • Like 1

Glad it's taken care of. Could have eaten up the tire over time.

Actually, they replaced the bearing and the noise was still there. They said a CV boot is rubbing/making contact somewhere. Running it up the Ford hotline to see how to proceed. The noise sounded really bad yesterday. :cry:

Edited by Mirage52

I'm suspect about what was done with you saying, "They replaced the bearing. . ." I'd need one heck of an explanation about why they were replacing bearings and not the entire hub. Ford's MSRP of the entire knuckle and hub assembly is less than $100 and they were replacing bearings? Maybe it's just me but it just doesn't sound kosher. Labor on a bearing alone has got to be more than putting a new knuckle and hub on.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/steering-parts-other/knuckle-front-wheel-6478835-1

$94.04

I'm also wondering what your CV boots are made of to be making the racket you describe without going in to what it could be rubbing on. Is it crushed or ripped?

EDIT: I can't even find where Ford sells the bearings by themselves. The hubs are available but they aren't listed under "steering," where the knuckle and hub together are listed.

Edited by I'manedgeowner
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...