2016 Sync vs 2017 Sync

I am considering a used Ford Edge Sport and wanted to know if there is a difference between the 16' Sync and 17' Sync? I thought I had read somewhere that there were more issues on the 2016 models than the 2017 models. Is this true?

Also - other than sync, what are the things you don't like about the edge?

Thanks to all for any feedback

I cannot speak too intelligently on this, but one thing I would keep in mind is the change in the Firmware and the USB hardware that allows the use of Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I don't know when exactly the change is, but it was around this time. If that feature is important to you, keep in mind which version you're getting.

That was true of the 16 MKX but the 16 Edge didn’t use MFT(SYNC2) in USA/Canada. Export models did use MFT as SYNC3 wasn’t ready for deployment in other countries yet.

As far as the 16 having more issues with the SYNC3 system than the 17s....well late model 16s were equipped with the same APIMs as the 17s so it depends on the build date at which APIM it would have in it. There was some service bulletins related to the early version APIM but some of those even applied to 17 APIMs. It can get confusing. I wouldn’t worry about it either way. As long as it is CPO’d or you get an extended warranty the APIM would be covered anyway. Also all 16s need the updated usb hub to support CarPlay.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your posts. I would have responded earlier but I thought I would get emailed when people replied to my post, which i didn't.

sounds like its a non issue and if anything i can always update the firmware and the usb ports if needed. How can I tell what build I am getting?

I finally found a 2016 Ford edge sport with the all the options I want so I may be joining the FE family shortly! One of those options being the Forward Collision Warning. I was having a hard time understanding the difference between this and the brake assist. It seems like the FCW will precharge the brakes if it detects an oncoming accident, where the brake assist gauges how quickly you press the brake to determine the amount of force it should apply. So FCW is the better safeguard since it is an "earlier" detection system?