Navigation 7P

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

damn... and I just took delivery of my Edge.. 6P already out of date.. though I have not used a single POI yet, there are some road/map additions that I could use...

FWIW, they will be cheaper on eBay for sure

6P

This DVD map update contains coverage across the continental United States and Canada as well as Alaska and Hawaii. It contains over 6.06 million miles of road and features more than 1.57 million updated points-of-interest including over:

449,700 restaurants

68,700 hotels

103,800 banks

108,000 ATMs

90,800 gas stations

245,600 auto service & maintenance locations

14,900 tourist attraction

7P

This DVD map update contains coverage across the continental United States and Canada as well as Alaska and Hawaii. It contains over 6.16 million miles of road and features more than 1.74 million updated points-of-interest including over:

477,800 restaurants

71,200 hotels

103,800 banks

122,600 ATMs

101,200 gas stations

245,600 auto service & maintenance locations

14,900 tourist attractions

This new DVD map update also contains new and expanded detailed coverage in the following cities, counties, metropolitan and rural areas:

Barstow, CA

Placerville, CA

Roseville, CA

San Bernardino, CA

San Diego, CA

Sutter County, CA

Yuba County, CA

Clay County, FL

Clear Creek County, CO

Grand Junction, CO

Pueblo, CO

Gilpin, CO

Lake County, FL

Hernando County, FL

Highlands County, FL

Adams, IL

Bloomington, IL

Champaign County, IL

Coles, IL

Kankakee, IL

Peoria, IL

Shawnee County, KS

Cambridge, MD

Cumberland, MD

Denton, MD

Easton, MD

Salisbury, MD

Calhoun, MI

Jackson County, MI

Midland County, MI

Saginaw, MI

Fayetteville, NC

Onslow County, NC

Cayuga, NY

Lake Placid, NY

Malone, NY

Plattsburgh, NY

Stark County, OH

Trumbull County, OH

Youngstown, OH

Jackson County, OR

Lycoming, PA

Monroe County, PA

Pittsburgh, PA

Brazoria, TX

Gregg County, TX

Houston, TX

Lubbock County, TX

Walker, TX

Northhampton, VA

Powhatan, VA

Yakima, WA

Muskoka, ON

Laurentians, QC

UPDATE: they revamped their listing of what cities were changed so I updated it here. For example, San Diego County was NOT listed originally, now it is.

Edited by Lex Talionis

hmm.. before this 7P even came up this week, which means the 6P was the newest (heck, still is until 7P actually hits shelves technically)... which is up until right now with this new release.. I saw, and can still see, 6P on eBay for average $65-70 in past sales. Some for sale right now. That is less than half the price of the 6P, which is what they were selling as 'newest' until just now. When I first considered getting my Edge, and not knowing if I would get the newest 6P, I was watching eBay all the time for them just in case I had to buy.

point is, 6P is still pretty new and not out of date really and buyable much cheaper on eBay. Yeah, 7P may be a little higher in price and slower to get onto ebay (maybe), but it will come I bet and be cheaper and not out of date when it does.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone made the jump frpm 3P-4P to 7P ? What did you see as an improvement over your original version ?

Thanks

Look at the improvements in the first post. V 4 IIRC was a few years old. Just need to compare the totals on that DVD with the V7 to see the difference.

I work with Geo-coded Base-maps and one of the suppliers to Navteq (in Canada) had made a substantial data upgrade (streets etc.) in the past year and a half. Between V4 & V7 would be great. Well worth the upgrade IMHO ...

• 3 weeks later...
Is there anything stopping a single DVD from being used to update navigation systems in more than one vehicle? Thanks.

Hi chrismdusa. :D If my understanding of the Ford Nav System is correct, the DVD does not "update" the system. The NAV system simply reads from the DVD as you are driving.

The system is listed as being "DVD Based". This means that the DVD must be inserted in the NAV system whenever it is being used. So while a single DVD can be used in multiple vehicles, it can only be in one vehicle at a time.

In other words, if the DVD is not in the unit, the system will not operate. It is not like a software update (i.e a Windows Update), that only needs to be inserted once to update, then removed until there is a newer update. The DVD must be in the system for the system to operate.

Of course, purchasing the latest update, then making an "archive copy" for yourself is perfectly legal.

If I am incorrect, I am sure someone will let you know.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi chrismdusa. :D If my understanding of the Ford Nav System is correct, the DVD does not "update" the system. The NAV system simply reads from the DVD as you are driving.

The system is listed as being "DVD Based". This means that the DVD must be inserted in the NAV system whenever it is being used. So while a single DVD can be used in multiple vehicles, it can only be in one vehicle at a time.

In other words, if the DVD is not in the unit, the system will not operate. It is not like a software update (i.e a Windows Update), that only needs to be inserted once to update, then removed until there is a newer update. The DVD must be in the system for the system to operate.

Of course, purchasing the latest update, then making an "archive copy" for yourself is perfectly legal.

If I am incorrect, I am sure someone will let you know.

You're right. I didn't realize that the DVD stays in the system. Thanks for the help.

• 6 months later...

OK, I still have 6P. I'm in a growing county in FL and I'm finding half the roads aren't coming up on my map. Starting to get frustrating since I'm new to the area and have become highly dependent on the DVD Nav. Before I drop bank on the 7P DVD, is the 8P DVD due out soon?

OK, I still have 6P. I'm in a growing county in FL and I'm finding half the roads aren't coming up on my map. Starting to get frustrating since I'm new to the area and have become highly dependent on the DVD Nav. Before I drop bank on the 7P DVD, is the 8P DVD due out soon?

Hi jamers1. :D Just to add to what Lex mentioned. Here is a link to the Navteq website LINK: Navteq. In this way you can check for the latest information if you decide to wait for an update (8P), or even contact Navteq for further information. Click on the link. Click on "Store". Click on the "Buy Now" button for "Ford DVD Maps". Then fill in the drop down boxes with your vehicle information.

Once at the proper page for your vehicle, you can also click on the "In the Box" tab to see if roads have been updated in your particular city/region. Not every city or region is necessarily updated with each new release.

As Lex stated, 7P is currently the latest update. Now 7P has been out for a while, but there is no regular schedule for updates, and they do not normally announce them ahead of time.

We all take our chances when we buy any updated Navigation DVD's. The next update version may be released the next day (or never), for all we know.

Hope this information helps.

PS - Just as an FYI to others. Yes, I know the DVD's can be purchased cheaper elsewhere (EBay etc.). I am not providing the link to Navteq for buying purposes, simply to allow jamers1 and others to check for the latest DVD updates themselves, from the source. :stats:

Edited by bbf2530

that Navteq link is also in post #1, but yeah, it is now nearing 1 year from the 7p release (May) and I have seen no mention of an 8p here or on the web anywhere.

Also, I do wonder if Ford will request an 8p even be made since their newest line of vehicles uses a totally different nav system/setup. I talked to the Navteq people a year ago and they told me they only make a new DVD when the car company requests it be made, not just on their on volition, they have to be asked. So, I wonder if Ford will even ask for another update be made for them given they no longer use that system.

that Navteq link is also in post #1,

Thanks Lex. :D Yes, having participated in this discussion previously you and I knew that. But not everyone will go back to read from post #1. Just thought I would make it easier for others, since there certainly is no harm in re-posting the link 10 months later (especially now that it has grown to a second page).

I was safely assuming that many who are interested in the latest DVD updates, and read this thread (like jamers1), may not go back and read all of the posts from day 1. Just thought I would re-post the link for the benefit of those people, instead of telling them to go back and find it themselves. And also to let jamers1 know that there is normally little advance notice of new edition releases (as that would certainly eat into current release DVD sales).

Edited by bbf2530