Steering Angle Sensor??

Does this make sense to you guys. My 2015 Ford Edge Sport (AWD) with OEM Pirelli tires had no alignment problems, tracked straight. I took to NTB for four new tires (OEM Pirelli replacements) and an alignment. They printed me out a before and after alignment sheet that showed several measurements in the red before and all in green on the after. I drove it, it pulls to the left. They aligned it again, all green on the sheet and it still pulls to the left. The technician told me it is probably the Steering Angle Sensor memory. He claims the electronic steering memory is remembering the setting it used on the old, worn, tires to make it track straight and now that the new tires are on there, the SAS has to be reset. He told me the dealer probably has a tool for that? Does this make sense to you guys and is there any "manual" way to reset this steering angle sensor or do I have to go to dealer? I don't want to ruin a new set of over $1,000 tires.

Thanks

Ed

There ARE configurable parameters for all electronic modules in the Edge, the SAS/SASM being one of them. I would try simply pulling the neg batt cable for 40+ minutes and letting the entire system relearn. Might be all that is needed.

Can you post the alignment sheet so we can see the before/after? Might spark an idea for us onlookers :)

Never heard of such an issue. Though there was supposed to be a feature with the Ford electric powered steering that compensated for wind drift, but never heard of this before, it goes against safer & more economical driving.

If it is still under warranty, then just go to the dealer. Otherwise, first try as recommended above. Then try rotating the wheels (left/right) to make sure that it is not due to the new tyres. Finally, an alignment at a different shop. That's what I would do.

• Like 1

It's true that the vehicle learns "drift" and will compensate for it, but this is a short term memory thing that resets on every key cycle. So it cannot be the reason for your steering pull.

Try rotating the tires from one side to the other and see if it becomes a pull to the right. Ford sort's tires at the factory so that you have tires that balance each other out, but there's no way to do that in the aftermarket.

Could also be that the shop's alignment machine is out of calibration.

• Like 1