First Disappointment

ablb

I washed the MKX today.

We paid $896. for plastic hub caps You have got to be kidding me!!!

I've been wondering what 20" CHROME-CLAD ALUM WHEELS meant, now I know.

For some dumb :baby: reason I thought it meant some kind new high tech coating.

Oh well live and learn.

ab

should have come here first :) would have learned all about those errrrrr "rims"

That's the bad part :doh: I lurked for a few months, saw lots of post about the "CHROME-CLAD" but thought to my self " I'll take care of them, a little wheel wax and clean them often."

Now I'm not sure.

Guess I'll go with the wax and frequent cleaning and hope for the best or a TSB.

ab

I was JUST searching for INFO on the 20" rims on the MKX here on the forum last night. I couldn't tell if people were upset with the ride on the 20s" (rougher) or the overall quality of the wheel finish "cladding" was not meeting expectations.

Do I see that there are two issues perhaps:

1.) Ride quality on the 20"s is not as good

2.) Finish of the cladding is not acceptable after mileage and washings?

I was JUST searching for INFO on the 20" rims on the MKX here on the forum last night. I couldn't tell if people were upset with the ride on the 20s" (rougher) or the overall quality of the wheel finish "cladding" was not meeting expectations.

Hi jlight. :D Yes, you are correct.

1 - All other variables being equal, ride quality will always deteriorate when we install a larger wheel with a tire that has a shorter sidewall. Of course, some people are more sensitive to it than others. In addition, acceleration and MPG's will also decrease somewhat, due to the larger diameter and most likely heavier wheel. Again, some people consider the trade-off worth it, some don't and some don't even understand that there is a trade-off. :drop:

2 - Some people (a relative minority in the grand scheme of things) have had finish problems on their "chrome clad" wheels. When it does occur, Ford/Lincoln replaces them. Hopefully they are working with the supplier to correct the production process so that it is not a long term problem.

Washing does not seem to be the problem, at least not if done correctly. They should only be washed with the same car washing soap you use to wash your car, then protected with a light coat of wax (buffed off of course), just like your paint. Do not use spray on wheel cleaners, mag or aluminum wheel cleaners, etc etc. Most of these types of cleaners are harsh and acidic and harm the finish of the wheels. This advice goes for the regular non chrome wheels also, as they are clear coated. Essentially, do not use anything on your wheels unless it would also be safe to use on your cars paint finish.

I have "chrome clad" wheels on my car (specifically ordered them) and they look as good as the day I purchased the car in November of 2006. But of course, which wheels a person likes (chrome, aluminum finish, painted aluminum etc.) is all a matter of personal preference.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

bbf,

Thanks for the reply. I am really looking hard at the MKX, most likely will hold off until July/Aug but am thinking of going with the 20" I'll keep up to date on the forum and then make up my mind.

Thanks for the great summary.

I ran into the same thing on my Dodge 2500 truck... then I realized what it really meant by chome clad after I took the lug nut covers off and saw the steel wheel behind the chromed plastic peice.

I have them on my wife's MKX and they look great. Can't beat chrome and black. They are certainly not plastic! I've had no problems, nor do I expect to. :shades:

Not that you have any reason to doubt Grey, but he's right, the MKX clads are not plastic; on the Edge, however, clads are plastic.

jlight Ride quality is 100% your call.

Example: We traded a BMW X3 handles like a sports car but the ride is a little stiff.

Example: Our friends felt like the X3 was damaging their kidneys.

Example: We find the MKX with 20" uninspiring and a little soft

Example: Our friends find the ride Just Right

You should take test drives in both 18" and 20". Spend as much time driving the type of rds you normally drive on, don't let the salesperson pick the route. Send some time on the Interstate and rural rds.

But most important Don't let someone else (help) make the decision for you.

We were completely satisfied with the X3 and now we are completely satisfied with the MKX.

We'll let you know about the plastic hub caps.

ab

• 4 weeks later...

Clad = plastic. But usually the wheel underneath is alloy, not steel. A few months ago I started distinguishing between "polished," "chrome," "chrome-clad," and "chrome-clad steel."

Chrome rims have their own durability issues. I suspect a major reason chrome clad is often used is to reduce warranty claims, believe it or not.

We had the "clad" wheels on a Mountaineer and they were fine, never high gloss but they were okay.

Got the 895$ 20" wheels on the MKX and they may be a bit more bling than I'd prefer. I put a coat of Rejex on them and I hope the brake dust doesn't make me nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I was shocked to discover them too.

I work for an automotive supplier and was told that "Chrome on plastic" holds up better than "Chrome on aluminum". This same engineer told me that his Hemi Jeep has the same thing (Chrome on plastic).

Side note: My Edge is an '07 and at 5K miles the rims began to show corosion. Not on the plastic, but where the "Chrome clad plastic" meets to painted rim (where the wheel balancing weights are placed). I took it to the dealer and the "write up guy" blew me off telling me that I just had to CLEAN them. I asked "Clean them with what?". He sent me to the parts counter and the parts guy had no idea what I should use. I then got my salesman who brought a can of "Cleaner" with him. He attempted to lean them and discovered they were actually corroded.... I said "Ughhh... Duuu...". The wheels were replaced under warranty.

It is my expectation that they will do the same thing this winter as well. If they fail 3 times I will look into the lemon law specifics and ask them to buy the vehicle back, I bet that will get their attention! The '08 Edge has a different rim that covers the area in question. That means it is likely a known issue that was resolved in the '08 model by simply covering it up.

I washed the MKX today.

We paid $896. for plastic hub caps You have got to be kidding me!!!

I've been wondering what 20" CHROME-CLAD ALUM WHEELS meant, now I know.

For some dumb :baby: reason I thought it meant some kind new high tech coating.

Oh well live and learn.

ab

TO make you feel better, the MKX has a metal clad alum wheel....the Edge has plastic! I have the MKX...to convince yourself, just try a magnet on the wheel!