Humming noise over 20mph after recent huge rain storm

riveraj33

I have a 2013 Edge Sport that started a humming sound which is coming from the front of the truck. This started after a recent rain storm that caused flooding on our highways. During the storm I went through a large area of water at around 45mph that was maybe 1-2 feet deep (i could not tell until I went through it). Now when i go over 20mph i hear this humming sound and it gets a little louder the faster i go. The sound only goes away when i go back under about 20mph. It doesnt make this sound while idling or when revving up the engine while parked or in neutral. Any idea what this could be. Money is tight and im hoping its not serious.

Ruh Roh. AWD? check the PTU for water contamination, do not drive further, hopefully not already destroyed :(

Its more of a humming sound. Almost like there is a small hole in the exhaust but in this case its only over 20-30 mph when you hear the sound. It is AWD. how can i check the PTU for water contamination....dealer?

Edited by riveraj33

Have to pull the fill plug and send in a lighted borescope/endoscope or simple drain the fluid. Will be easy to tell. If you don't want to remove the wheel/liner or put the Edge up on ramps, then yeah, dealer needs to check. But most dealers won't simply replace fluid, they will suggest replacing the PTU altogether. So you may want to call around first. Especially Lincoln dealers as they are generally more cooperative with fluid flushing the PTU/RDU.

The manual does not mention RDU as a possibility, but it is much easier to check that, so have both units checked.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Have to pull the fill plug and send in a lighted borescope/endoscope or simple drain the fluid. Will be easy to tell. If you don't want to remove the wheel/liner or put the Edge up on ramps, then yeah, dealer needs to check. But most dealers won't simply replace fluid, they will suggest replacing the PTU altogether. So you may want to call around first. Especially Lincoln dealers as they are generally more cooperative with fluid flushing the PTU/RDU.

The manual does not mention RDU as a possibility, but it is much easier to check that, so have both units checked.

Thanks! Do you think it could be the wheel bearing instead? I've had someone mention that to me.

Are they swapping the bearing itself of the whole hub assembly? Rock Auto has the Motorcraft bearing itself for $55.79 each. Timkens are $27.79. If you need the whole hub repair kit, RA has SKF kits for $103.79/ea and includes the hub, bearing, retaining ring, and spindle nut. I think a new spindle nut is required every time you remove the hub so you'd need one anyway. Wheel bearings are pretty simple to do if you have the right tools - breaker bar, torque wrench, dead blow hammer, maybe a socket the size of the spindle nut, and something to drive the bearing in with like a big dowel the OD of the bearing. I'm lucky to also have a compressor and air wrench to remove lug nuts. Wheel stands are a must. I've done them on previous 4x4's (Explorers) and they're not all that hard. If you are confident in your abilities then I'd say do them yourself. If not, have Ford (or a trusted shop) do them. With Ford or a shop you should get a warranty so check that out. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Seems excessive for wheel bearings.

Ya think so? Better then us- our dealer quoted me $470 for one rear wheel bearing on a FWD Edge.

I bought two SKF bearing for $140 shipped, plus another $140 for brand new rear pads and rotors. Just need to jack it up and get it done now.

• Like 1