Back Bumper Damaged Because Of Rollback!

GettnEdgey

Well, after hearing about the Edge and how much it rolls back when putting it in park, it happened to me. I backed up to my travel trailer (which was on a downslope), put it in park about 4" away from the tongue of the trailer and you guessed it. The Edge rolled right back and cut a hole in the bumper. Nice! Not even 3 months old. This vehicle does roll back more than others as far as I am concerned. I put a "tape on" reflector over the damage until I decide what I am going to do. Just a word of warning to you guys and girls so it does not happen to you.

Dave :banghead:

Well, after hearing about the Edge and how much it rolls back when putting it in park, it happened to me. I backed up to my travel trailer (which was on a downslope), put it in park about 4" away from the tongue of the trailer and you guessed it. The Edge rolled right back and cut a hole in the bumper. Nice! Not even 3 months old. This vehicle does roll back more than others as far as I am concerned. I put a "tape on" reflector over the damage until I decide what I am going to do. Just a word of warning to you guys and girls so it does not happen to you.

Dave :banghead:

It won't happen to me because I use the parking brake. Why would you park on an incline without it?

I think you should be able to park any vehicle with out using the parking brake and having to worry about this rolling issue -- I have made it a habit to just use the P.B. every time I park no matter what but this issue sounds like it is something that needs to be corrected.

I think you should be able to park any vehicle with out using the parking brake and having to worry about this rolling issue -- I have made it a habit to just use the P.B. every time I park no matter what but this issue sounds like it is something that needs to be corrected.

This is a non-issue - all automatics have a certain amount of "roll" based on how the parking pawl is engaged. Some have more play than others. Park is not a substitute for using the parking brake. The parking brake totally stops the vehicle from rolling, just as it was intended to do. Anyone who doesn't use it is asking for trouble. End of discussion.

This is a non-issue - all automatics have a certain amount of "roll" based on how the parking pawl is engaged. Some have more play than others. Park is not a substitute for using the parking brake. The parking brake totally stops the vehicle from rolling, just as it was intended to do. Anyone who doesn't use it is asking for trouble. End of discussion.

Sorry, you don't get to make the decision to end this discussion........

Its the one all the way to the left..... Its call a "Parking Brake" for a reason. Stop crying.

Agreed. Since buying this vehicle I have always used my parking brake. I put it in neutral, apply parking brake, take my foot off the regular brakes and THEN put it in park.

Never cared before, but this is my first $30k+ car and I don't want unecessary pressure on the little pin that 'Park' engages. It was never meant

to stop the vehicle on it's own and besides, the thing weighs 2+ tons. Traded in an '07 Focus that I never used the parking brake on, it just

happened to start having problems disengaging from 'Park' because of the wear and tear, only had 8600 miles too.

I noticed the same thing with our edge. It rolls quite a ways in park.

I tow my snowmobile trailer all winter and I noticed it also when hooking up but the most annoying one was disconnecting. The truck rolls way back when you crank up the tongue jack and the coupler pops free. When that happened the first time I ended up leaning against the truck trying to hold it from smoking the coupler. I kicked snow and crushed stone under the wheel until it held.

My Explorer LTD that I replaced, only moved a wee bit and I towed with it for several years.

I always set the e-brake now.

Down side is there is not that wee bit of give to allow an easy hook up and disconnect with the brake set.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed the same thing with our edge. It rolls quite a ways in park.

I tow my snowmobile trailer all winter and I noticed it also when hooking up but the most annoying one was disconnecting. The truck rolls way back when you crank up the tongue jack and the coupler pops free. When that happened the first time I ended up leaning against the truck trying to hold it from smoking the coupler. I kicked snow and crushed stone under the wheel until it held.

My Explorer LTD that I replaced, only moved a wee bit and I towed with it for several years.

I always set the e-brake now.

Down side is there is not that wee bit of give to allow an easy hook up and disconnect with the brake set.

Doesn't anyone use the parking brake? That's what it is there for so kindly use it and quit griping!

• 1 month later...

when I first got the vehicle I too was a bit surprised by the amount of roll, but a few things

-all cars have a roll back, some more than others (my gf's 2008 Highlander rolls back just as far as my Edge)

-it won't roll if you use the brake, since the transmission isn't reliable enough way to stop the car anyway

-you get used to the slight roll quickly and knowing about it is half the battle

I always use the PB now, even on the tiniest of inclines. but I almost always did this anyway with every car I've owned. and as soon as you put it in park gently ease your foot off the brake it seems to help avoid the rolling "sensation" as much