Does anyone else have burnt taillight lamps

Not that I'm the paranoid type, but I'm going to check mine too....I've got an '09 Limited AWD, late build...bought new...just over 8000 miles on it now....no problems so far.... Is Ford replacing these things? I'm getting the impressions that Ford is just using a different bulb (maybe one which puts out less heat)?

Well, just checked mine....3 bulbs/recepticles are in the rear tail light (I pulled the one on the right, but I'm sure the left is the same). the back-up light and running light recepticles are fine, but the brake light one is charred... It's a bit suprising that this is a known problem for at least 2 model years, and still has not been fixed. Yes, light bulbs can be replaced, but I think the better answer is to replace the recepticle with one which can take the heat from the bulb it holds. Have there been a known fires which have been caused by this problem? To me, this is a biggie.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading about so many having tail light problems, I thought I'd better check mine. With only 10000 miles on my 09, the sockets were already cooked. I've got LED bulbs on order, thought less heat and less electrical load might solve the problem.

Read post number 27 with the comment of Daniel Sterns a lighting authority in US that have done some works also for the DOT...Please make sure not to get involved in any accident after that, if any insurance company find out that you are using led bulbs or leds on a car designed for incandescent bulbs, you will have a really hard time making him pay for any damage...

"...Be aware also the "LED bulb" idea raised here is not a solution to the problem, and it is extremely dangerous and quite illegal. "LED bulbs", even the fancy ones with multiple emitters facing various directions, cause the vehicle's lamps not to perform in a safe or legal fashion with respect to the intensity of light emitted, the ratio of bright (brake or turn) to dim (tail or park) intensity, and the angles through which the light is distributed. If a vehicle is involved in a collision, and the lighting equipment is found not to be equipped with a legal light source or otherwise not to be performing in the intended manner, the vehicle owner can be exposed to very significant liabilities..."

Edited by Kanatronic

Thanks for the reply and the advice, guess I did'nt think about the legal aspects. I called my dealer service dept. about the problem and was told there was no upgrade for the sockets. I assumed they would just replace them with the same thing and I would have the problem again. Being a die hard DIYer, I thought I could solve the problem myself with the LED's.

Thanks for the reply and the advice, guess I did'nt think about the legal aspects. I called my dealer service dept. about the problem and was told there was no upgrade for the sockets. I assumed they would just replace them with the same thing and I would have the problem again. Being a die hard DIYer, I thought I could solve the problem myself with the LED's.

The glass wedge bulbs do not have that problem, but they are not 100% compatible, so there is another option that will offer a better approach and is the hybrid they recommend, the bulb is basically a glass wedge with a collar of a polimer, those conduct the heat better away from these sockets, and will not have that problem, I will check mine while I ahve any time as I replaced them lont time ago, and see if there is no more problems...

The glass wedge bulbs do not have that problem, but they are not 100% compatible, so there is another option that will offer a better approach and is the hybrid they recommend, the bulb is basically a glass wedge with a collar of a polimer, those conduct the heat better away from these sockets, and will not have that problem, I will check mine while I ahve any time as I replaced them lont time ago, and see if there is no more problems...

Hi I have a 2008 limited Edge is this a common problem on al edges,i have the usual problems leaky seal fixed hopefully rattling vista roof but this problem scares me have not looked at mine yet wondering if i should.

This has been a problem since I joinned the forum, Ford had not addressed it properly yet, I checked mine right now and even while not in the same degree, they are burnt again, so tomorrow morning I will go again, and complaint about that again and again to see....IMO there should be a recall for that already, I'm using the ones Daniel Stern recommended, the hybrid, so those do not fix the problem neither, so my next step, legal or not, will be leds...

This has been a problem since I joinned the forum, Ford had not addressed it properly yet, I checked mine right now and even while not in the same degree, they are burnt again, so tomorrow morning I will go again, and complaint about that again and again to see....IMO there should be a recall for that already, I'm using the ones Daniel Stern recommended, the hybrid, so those do not fix the problem neither, so my next step, legal or not, will be leds...

I went ahead and put the LEDs in mine, but I'm still going to take it back to get the burnt sockets replaced. By the way, legal or not, the LEDs work great.

I thought all LED's need a resistor wired in paralell. I too would like to know which ones you used......name brand and where you purchased them. I would like to match the LED third brake light......It looks weird driving behind my wife when she hits the brakes because the timing of the LED's is noticeable....I know its measured in milliseconds, but you can obviously see the third light come on sooner than the tails.

Which ones did you used? Any issue with the directionals??? Usually they need a resistor in paralell, that is my major beef....

I got them from superbrightleds.com. Part # 3157-W18-T. The price was $17.95 ea. with shipping the total was $45. If I had it to do all over, I'd buy the red bulbs [3157-R18-T] the white bulbs make for a slightly pinkish-orange tint. As for the directionals, the only issue is that they flash faster than normal due to the reduced load on the circuit.

With 16000 miles on my 2007 Edge my signal/brake light went out.. first time it went out but later came back on and stayed working. now a week later it went out again. It is the rear left side that the bulb went out and I found it was burnt. Look at the pictures. The new bulb is working for now.

Ford told me to come in right away so that will be tomorrow morning.

th_bulb1.jpg th_bulb2.jpg th_bulb3.jpg th_bulb4.jpg

I went to the dealer today for the second time, I explained the problem to the service manager, and as usual they never new about it!!!! First time they see that problem, I was wondering if they actually read any online blog or forum about problems, also this is my second time, so that is total BS...Saturday I have the appointment for that, next step are the leds, I received this info from one of the dealers and they also agree that is better to use the red instead of white:

"...The DRL bulbs are white. You wouldn't want to use those in tail lights. You should use the same color LEDs as the lens, i.e., red for tail lights, amber for turn signals, etc.

Usually you will need resistors on the turn signals to prevent them from flashing too fast..."

Now deciding which to order???

I got them from superbrightleds.com. Part # 3157-W18-T. The price was $17.95 ea. with shipping the total was $45. If I had it to do all over, I'd buy the red bulbs [3157-R18-T] the white bulbs make for a slightly pinkish-orange tint. As for the directionals, the only issue is that they flash faster than normal due to the reduced load on the circuit.

I saw those before and later on found these ones, which are more expensive and looks to me that are better designed, SM diodes on boards, etc...My major concern is how is the amount of light in comparison ot the original incandescent ones...

I saw those before and later on found these ones, which are more expensive and looks to me that are better designed, SM diodes on boards, etc...My major concern is how is the amount of light in comparison ot the original incandescent ones...

The ones I used produced maybe slightly if any less light than the originals, however the ones you found look as though they have more LEDs and would probably be better.

I will see what they have to say tomorrow. If anyone has a service or tech bulletin # on the burning bulbs please let me know

Thanksa

Just got back from Ford. They said the bulbs were defective, the filaments were giving off too much heat. They changed the bulbs to an upgraded type and said the sockets were discolored on the outside but didn't pose a problem. (inside looked good). Surprisingly they also ordered 4 new chrome clad wheels for me because of the corrosion on the outer edge of the wheels :)

I am trusting what they say and would rather not cut into the wiring to change the sockets if it didn't need to be

Edited by tpm419419

Just got back from Ford. They said the bulbs were defective, the filaments were giving off too much heat. They changed the bulbs to an upgraded type and said the sockets were discolored on the outside but didn't pose a problem. (inside looked good). Surprisingly they also ordered 4 new chrome clad wheels for me because of the corrosion on the outer edge of the wheels :)

I am trusting what they say and would rather not cut into the wiring to change the sockets if it didn't need to be

Sorry but do not trust so blindly, that is total BS, the ones they placed are also plastic wedge (just check them) and will burn the sockets again. The ones I reco before, that I got from Candlepower, are glass wedge/polymer collar, and rated to 14 volts for all time on heavy duty use, which make them a lot cooler and safer, and they still burnt the sockets, the material of the sockets is BS, and need to be replaced, so unless they change the socket material, I will go with LEDs...

Sorry but do not trust so blindly, that is total BS, the ones they placed are also plastic wedge (just check them) and will burn the sockets again. The ones I reco before, that I got from Candlepower, are glass wedge/polymer collar, and rated to 14 volts for all time on heavy duty use, which make them a lot cooler and safer, and they still burnt the sockets, the material of the sockets is BS, and need to be replaced, so unless they change the socket material, I will go with LEDs...

I just may do that but need to know if I need a resister or how to install the resister for the signals

I just may do that but need to know if I need a resister or how to install the resister for the signals

I ordered mine yesterday, will be here by next week hopefully, I ordered one pair of each type, to try both, and return one of them later, I'm inclined to beleive that the lower number of leds will be closer, but who knows....in any case you have also the option of getting the blinkers designed for the leds assembly sold here, my only problem is that I do not know which are the ones we may need... :doh:

Received them today, the red 27 leds definitely is the one to get, it gaves you a little more light than the stock bulb, being even more red, the stock (in comparison the stock bulbs look a little orange now), and the flashing is a little faster, but still discernible, not sure how this will impact on the rest of the circuit, but for sure the sockets will not be burnt again anymore...will wait now for the new sockets to be installed, along with a new rim that they damaged the last time trying to get a leak in the rear tire...

Couple of questions about this tailight problem. The bulb that is recommended on this forum is a Wagner bulb in a 14 volt configuration.

Wouldn't that bulb be dimmer? I was able to find that same bulb in a 12 volt configuration. Would it burn brighter but therefore burn hotter and cause the

same problems? Also, why don't they make an LED replacement that has the load resistor built into it for proper operation ( blink speed )? I would like to

go with the LED light but don't see where there would be room for a load resistor in the brake light area. Certainly don't want to get under the dash and wire

something in there. Any input appreciated.