Does anyone else have burnt taillight lamps

2010 Limited,19556 miles: I had the r/r stop lamp go out,indicator on dash,arrow was faster on r/s indicating lamp out,replaced lamp with Wagner 3157 and found charred socket. I replace l/s lamp to find same socket issue.

I was at an account that has 211 Ford Escape Hybrids that are Taxis,they have the same problem with the sockets burning,I got 2 new sockets,they were the same part numbers.

To add Led's you need to use a LED flasher or add a load resistor to keep the same flash rate or not to trigger the lamp out indicator,Marty

Edited by Depiry

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 Limited,19556 miles: I had the r/r stop lamp go out,indicator on dash,arrow was faster on r/s indicating lamp out,replaced lamp with Wagner 3157 and found charred socket. I replace l/s lamp to find same socket issue.

I was at an account that has 211 Ford Escape Hybrids that are Taxis,they have the same problem with the sockets burning,I got 2 new sockets,they were the same part numbers.

To add Led's you need to use a LED flasher or add a load resistor to keep the same flash rate or not to trigger the lamp out indicator,Marty

You do not need to add anything, I have it directly replaced, it is true that is flashes slightly faster, but is not that bad, I do not want to go into modifying any further...and we do not have too much space to add the resistor, so if you find a way of replacing the current flasher by a LED flasher, please let us know which you used, and where it is located...

• 2 months later...

You do not need to add anything, I have it directly replaced, it is true that is flashes slightly faster, but is not that bad, I do not want to go into modifying any further...and we do not have too much space to add the resistor, so if you find a way of replacing the current flasher by a LED flasher, please let us know which you used, and where it is located...

Just replaced our 3rd bulb and the plastic on the bulb itself was melted. I ordered a set of LED bulbs for the rear to eliminate the problem. All you need to do is switch the flasher from a "mechanical" to an "electronic" flasher ($7), they look identical and make the LED's blink correctly since they don't draw near the load as a filiment. I already did a set in my factory superduty lenses.

Just replaced our 3rd bulb and the plastic on the bulb itself was melted. I ordered a set of LED bulbs for the rear to eliminate the problem. All you need to do is switch the flasher from a "mechanical" to an "electronic" flasher ($7), they look identical and make the LED's blink correctly since they don't draw near the load as a filiment. I already did a set in my factory superduty lenses.

I heard about that some time ago, wpould you mind to post pics of where that flasher is located, and which to get from the market?

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing on my 2011 Edge Limited...bought it new in Nov '10 and have about 5500 miles on it now. Was going to replace the stock brake/tail bulbs with Silver Stars (same wattage - different color hue, and when I had the rear lenses off noticed the sockets were discolored like the OP's....not quite that bad yet, but well on their way!! Didn't end up installing the Silver Stars though - couldn't tell any difference in brightness.

• 1 month later...

My driver side turn signal went out for the second time the other day. (I have replaced the passenger side once already...bought the car in Sep. 2009) Anyways, as you can hopefully see from the pictures, the bulb was completely toasted. The plastic part was also melted. The socket was melted too, but I didn't think to take a picture of it too. I will when the new bulbs come in that I ordered that were recommended in earlier posts. I will be calling Ford this week. I bought new sockets and am ordering both bulbs. I really hope this will fix the problem! I will drive with them for a month after installing and I will recheck them. Then I'll post on here whether they are smoked again or not. Obviously this is a problem and I think Ford should address them! And it seems as though the newer ones still have the problem also as I seen someones post that said he had a 2011 with only around 5500 miles on it. Haven't really had any problems with the car other than a wheel bearing going out, which it seems is normal for these also. Might have another one going out now too.... (sigh) Why can't they make things that last like they used to? lol

Edited by BeachLover

My driver side turn signal went out for the second time the other day. (I have replaced the passenger side once already...bought the car in Sep. 2009) Anyways, as you can hopefully see from the pictures, the bulb was completely toasted. The plastic part was also melted. The socket was melted too, but I didn't think to take a picture of it too. I will when the new bulbs come in that I ordered that were recommended in earlier posts. I will be calling Ford this week. I bought new sockets and am ordering both bulbs. I really hope this will fix the problem! I will drive with them for a month after installing and I will recheck them. Then I'll post on here whether they are smoked again or not. Obviously this is a problem and I think Ford should address them! And it seems as though the newer ones still have the problem also as I seen someones post that said he had a 2011 with only around 5500 miles on it. Haven't really had any problems with the car other than a wheel bearing going out, which it seems is normal for these also. Might have another one going out now too.... (sigh) Why can't they make things that last like they used to? lol

You will have them burned again, I replaced mine three times before going to LEDs, and period end of the story...