Lens Tinting to Prevent Yellowing?

KennyE

Did a search, didn't find much, well, really, none. Probably not searching the best keywords.

Since I just recently picked up my '17 Titanium, I'm still sort of obsessing with the "what can I do to it" syndrome. And to that end - is there a consensus (right!) on tinting headlight lenses? Not trying to jazz it up, per se`. But more of a protection against yellowing, etc. I can't stand (my) headlights with any sort of haze or yellowing. The lens are quite clear and bright on the car at the moment. I'd like to try and keep them that way. Thought perhaps one of the clear lens films might work. Looking for pros/cons. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, KennyE said:

Thought perhaps one of the clear lens films might work. 

Yes it does work. When I had the whole front end of my girlfriend'S MKX and later my own '16 Edge Titanium wrapped with a clear film to protect from stone chips, I also had the headlamps done and even though it was done a few years back, they still look as good as new. :thumbsup:

Claude. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, omar302 said:

New headlights are much better than those of older cars. They will resist yellowing much better. Also, any sort of tinting, even clear, will affect (reduce) light output.

1- No. Headlights are not better than before. 

2- Here in Canada, we often see some recent cars on which headlamps are beginning to become opaque only after a few years.

3- About the clear film, NO it will NOT reduce light output… I have some on three of my own cars and I clearly can see the road way ahead of me and there's no yellowing of the headlamps.

Claude.;) 

Edited by 2FAST4U

Actually, headlights really are much better than they used to be for normal fogging and yellowing caused by the sun and weather conditions.  My Mustang headlights are eight years old and still as clear as the day I got the car.  However, we don't ever get salt on the roads which can ruin the headlights in fairly short order.  Even here, people who live close to the beach often have problems with their headlights due to the salt from the ocean.  Those clear films will affect output in a measurable but usually not significant way - certainly not enough to cause a problem, especially compared to the potential damage to unprotected lights, but you may have to replace the film every once in a while (easy to do and much cheaper than replacing headlights).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheWizard said:

"but you may have to replace the film every once in a while (easy to do and much cheaper than replacing headlights)".

Yes absolutely!. That was one of the main reasons why I had my headlamps clear wrapped. If one day they become faded or opaque, all that will be required to do is to replace the clear film  with a new one. :2thumbs:

Claude. :)

P.S: I must add that I never had to replace any film as of today...

I tinted my headlight lenses with light smoke film for protection against debris/fading as well as for looks.  The headlights are fairly easy to do on the difficulty scale, there are some really good dry apply films now that I found way easier to work with compared to wet apply films.  The tail lights are a different story, very difficult due to the extreme 3D surface profiles, they also don't really need the same protection compared to the headlights.  They also make the dry apply film in clear if you prefer.  In a few years when I sell/trade I will pull it off and the lenses will be like brand new.  

• Like 1

Well, I had tinting put on the front headlights yesterday. Was in looking at getting some film applied to the front windows for heat reduction (black interior). Mentioned the headlights. The place wasn't busy, wanted some work on a wet Saturday morning. And offered a good discount on the headlight film. So I bit. 

I just changed the clear film on my 2011's headlights and they still look brand spankin new with zero chips.  The old film looked horrible and I'm sure my headlights would be all chipped up if I hadn't used the film since new.  I just wish I would have done the entire front end cuz the fake chrome grill looks like it's been through a sand blaster!!!!