Vista Roof cleaning/detailing.

I'm about to have my 2007 Edge detailed. Should the BAMR and entire roof be waxed/polished like the rest of the car exterior? If not , How should it be cleaned/maintained? I couldn't find anything on this in the Owner's Manual.

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm about to have my 2007 Edge detailed. Should the BAMR and entire roof be waxed/polished like the rest of the car exterior? If not , How should it be cleaned/maintained? I couldn't find anything on this in the Owner's Manual.

Umm.......it's glass. What else do you need to know?

Hi Lowell. :D Both akirby and richv are correct (if a bit refreshingly blunt :hysterical: ). The glass area should be cleaned just as the windows would be cleaned (not waxed or polished). And if your Detailer does not know what to do, you should find a new Detailer.

That being said: The painted portions of the roof should be cleaned and waxed just like the rest of the car. Any plastic or rubber trim should be cleaned and treated with a vinyl and rubber protectant. The glass should only be cleaned with the same glass cleaner you would use on your windshield.

How to care for the various surfaces of your vehicle (interior and exterior) is actually addressed in the Owners Manual.

You can also find good car care and detailing information on these sites:

LINK: Meguiar's Car Care

LINK: Mother's Car Care

LINK: Paint Care and Detailing

LINK: Autopia Car Care

Good luck. :beerchug:

Yeah, that one went out a bit fast, sorry. The biggest "trick" on an Edge or MKX w/vista is avoiding all the rubber. You really have to take your time on the small amount of paint that's up there when polishing and glazing. Once you finish the paint a little Mother's Back To Black will put a uniform shade on the black and take care of any polish you may get on it. Then clean the roof glass with a good glass cleaner, I like Stoner's Invisible Glass.

I realize my question was poorly worded but I do know what GLASS is !

I should have asked about the black painted areas around the glass. I wasn't sure about that area since the rest of the car is Creme Brulee. I was just trying to figure this out BEFORE I went to detailer so I'd iknow if he was BSing me or not.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for your suggestions.

For those that have the issues of wax turning rubber, black plastic white - what wax and or glaze do you use?

My product selections do not do this (or maybe I am just that good - which I think not). I use Klasse AIO, Klasse HGSG and Nattys Blue Paste Carnuba for a great brilliant shine with no black area issues.

As for the other areas around the glass, I treat these at other painted areas of the car - AIO, HGSG and Carnuba. These are plastic parts (if I am thinking of the same are you are). But I am most likely doing it wrong as others will point out. I like the Glass Science line for glass cleaners (Glass Scrub+Rain Clear). It lasts a long time, but then again, I dont use the wipes much). I like it better than the Rain-X line.

Solas

For those that have the issues of wax turning rubber, black plastic white - what wax and or glaze do you use?

My product selections do not do this (or maybe I am just that good - which I think not). I use Klasse AIO, Klasse HGSG and Nattys Blue Paste Carnuba for a great brilliant shine with no black area issues.

As for the other areas around the glass, I treat these at other painted areas of the car - AIO, HGSG and Carnuba. These are plastic parts (if I am thinking of the same are you are). But I am most likely doing it wrong as others will point out. I like the Glass Science line for glass cleaners (Glass Scrub+Rain Clear). It lasts a long time, but then again, I dont use the wipes much). I like it better than the Rain-X line.

Solas

Hi solas. :D I use Meguiar's Gold Class line of wax. I just try to be very careful around the rubber and plastic parts. If I get any wax on the rubber parts, I use Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Protectant to remove it. If I get any wax on the hard or textured plastic parts (license plate frame, bottom part of side view mirrors etc.), I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer and a soft bristled tooth brush to remove it. Works great. For the glass I use ArmorAll Auto Glass Cleaner. That glass cleaner works so well (no streaks) that my wife now uses it for all of the mirrors in the house

Of course there are many other fine brands available, I just happen to like Meguiar's.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

A bit overkill but I put down blue painters tape on my plastic moldings before I polish and wax. No need to worry about getting wax on the moldings then. I also use a porter cable 7424 for wax and polish application, the thing works great, so much better than by hand, highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

I use P21S on the exterior. You don't need to worry too much about getting it on the plastic and rubber. This wax does not turn white as others do.

I also use this wax on the glass portion of the BAMR as it is safe to do so. Same with the external mirrors and lenes. As a benefit ... the rain flows off the glass fairly fast with virtually no spots. Inside glass, I use stoners ... cheap at Costco.

anyone tried cleaning the netting yet? it gets pretty funky.. like a big bug net full of bug carcasses

I used the brush attachment on the vacume cleaner to carefully clean it. A lot of debris collects everywhere under the glass as I discovered when I opened the roof while driving. I had to clean the whole inside of the car afterwards.

What is safe to use on the Vista roof for getting rid of hard water spots? I have had pretty good luck with Bonami cleaner with a no scratch pad on car glass. The Vista roof is so dark I'm afraid it might leave scratches or swirl lines.

Stoners Glass Cleaner. may have to clean it twice. One of the best products out there.

• 1 month later...

I own a detailing business and I can tell you that nothing (I repeat, NOTHING) cleans glass better than plain deionized (spot-free) water and a small towel. From dog licks on the inside, to soft set bugs on the outside. Every chemical has a residue, just like towels washed or dried with fabric softener. I also waxed the heck out of my vista roof (and all other glass). It lasts waaay longer than rain-x and is easier to apply/remove.

Also, don't EVER dry your car with a chamois, towel, or anything. Always use a spot free rinse and let the good ole sun dry it. That way, you'll get 90% less "spiderweb" scratches! No bull.