70k miles transmission fluid?

2011edgese

Just hit 69900 miles. Absolutely no issues with my 2015 edge titanium FWD 2.0 . Love the car. My question is, I want to do a drain and fill instead of a flush since flushas can lead to issues. I am planning on doing it 3 times so I reach 80% changed in fluid. My question is, DO you have to drive the car for several miles between the drain and fill? And if so, what's the most minimum miles to get the fluid to blend well with the torque  converter converter fluid? I've researched and some say 100 miles and others 3000 miles like every oil change. And even read that some just sit in the car and put the car in all the gears for a few seconds up and down for a minute or so and then redrain and refill. What's your opinion? Oh yeah... will be measuring what comes out so I can put exactly the same amount t in since there's no dip stick and don't want to remove the wheel to see the fill bolt. 

Edited by 2011edgese

3x is the requirement in the factory manual.  4x is about the most practical to do a near complete exchange.  You have to get the torque converter working to get the fluid pumped out of the TC.  So a minimum of a couple of minutes in D while parked on level ground will let that happen.  No need to drive.  Parking brake engaged and foot on brake pedal during that time of course.  Do not attempt on jacks or jackstands.  Only all 4 on the ground, preferably wheels chocked too.

Advise getting the fluid to at least 100F or so before the first drain/fill to  help keep contaminants in suspension, but alao to open the bypass valve.  Between 100F and 180F is ideal so the bypass valve is open the whole time you are doing the drain/fills.

As mentioned, you can also do a single drain/fill at 3 (or 4) successive oil changes.  Will allow the detergents in the new fluid to do their thing in between, and time to assess the impact of new fluid.  But done best if you are putting in the same brand of fluid as is in the trans atm.  So if OEM, Motorcraft LV is the right choice for this "every oil change" process.  While all LV license products SHOULD be compatible, IDK if it can be guaranteed.  Your call to make though.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

3x is the requirement in the factory manual.  4x is about the most practical to do a near complete exchange.  You have to get the torque converter working to get the fluid pumped out of the TC.  So a minimum of a couple of minutes in D while parked on level ground will let that happen.  No need to drive.  Parking brake engaged and foot on brake pedal during that time of course.  Do not attempt on jacks or jackstands.  Only all 4 on the ground, preferably wheels chocked too.

Advise getting the fluid to at least 100F or so before the first drain/fill to  help keep contaminants in suspension, but alao to open the bypass valve.  Between 100F and 180F is ideal so the bypass valve is open the whole time you are doing the drain/fills.

As mentioned, you can also do a single drain/fill at 3 (or 4) successive oil changes.  Will allow the detergents in the new fluid to do their thing in between, and time to assess the impact of new fluid.  But done best if you are putting in the same brand of fluid as is in the trans atm.  So if OEM, Motorcraft LV is the right choice for this "every oil change" process.  While all LV license products SHOULD be compatible, IDK if it can be guaranteed.  Your call to make though.

Good info! One question, what bypass valve are you talking about? And the filling is done where the dip stick is supposed to be?correct? And finally,  is that own fluid sold at Oreilly, AutoZone or is this just dealer?

Edited by 2011edgese

Just like engine coolant, transmission fluid is not allowed to circulate out to the radiator/trans cooler until it reaches a certain temperature.  80F I believe.  The bypass valve, basically a thermostat, is the gateway to achieving that goal.

Yes, fill is thru the dipstick.

OEM fluid is usually available at the major parts stores, yes.  Or via Amazon or RockAuto online. 

Okay just wrapped up the job. I want to point out a few things. If you check up the driver side about 1. So you can squeeze underneath to get to the drain bolt the car will empty almost exactly 4 quarts. So I bought a box of 12 QT. Now I notice there's a bottom cover that's got to come off to access the bolt, like a wind shield to give it more aerodynamic I guess. It was easy to remove but it would have made the job easier if it didn't exist, how important is that covered by the way. So the first drain gave me four chords I plugged it and filled it for courts. Drove it for 30 miles. And did the drain and added another four quarts, then I let it sit in the driveway and I ran it through the gears for 20 minutes while holding the brake and giving it a little bit of gas to 1500 RPMs each gear shift. I drained it and refilled it again 4qts. What do you guys think

Not sure why anything was in the way, usually it is the ecoboosts in gen 1.5 with those problems.  The drain bolt on mine is plain as day, easy to access.  Most people get 5 quarts or more out.  Since you only got 4 quarts out, are you SURE you used the right bolt for the drain?  Should be the lowest one on the trans pan.  You can watch macbwt's videos to see for yourself which one it is.

Yep, lower small tapered bolt. Torque spec? I couldn't find it online.  Its a 11mm socket. Mines has a large plastic cover that hides the whole engine/tranny bay. 10 star type screws to take it off. Then easy job. I bought 12qts, so keeping the car driver side jacked about 1 foot made it drain almost exactly 4qts. Dropping the car level would have given me 5qts I noticed.  But wanted to drain it 3 times at least with 4qts each time. Runs good. But it did come out black like heck. Reading online... merconLV goes black quick I think. 

Mercon LV goes brown quickly yes.  I suppose you have watched FTM's YT video on the subject.  Black is never good.

Just noticed you have the Gen 2 2.0 EB, things make more sense now LOL.  Since your profile does not list the Edge info (where I normally look) I completely missed it in your opening statement.  Mea Culpa :)

Per the owners manual, the fluid capacity for the 2.0 6f35 is about 9 quart, so 4 is a good compromise on the drain.  Proceed at will!

p328

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2015-Edge-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_12_2014.pdf

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W