Car & Driver

Xtra

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I think you’re expecting too much out of a basic transverse engine platform.   It would be easier to make a high performance crossover off the Explorer/Aviator CD6 longitudinal platform but word is the new Edge will be on the FWD C2 platform instead.   Maybe the Explorer ST will give you the performance you’re looking for.

I think Edge Sport/ST is pretty close to the max you’re going to get out of the platform.

The performance is there, just needs a more engaging transmission or allow me to manually shift gears with the shift knob also instead of paddles.

I had an explorer for a few months while Edge was in the shop. 3rd row, IMO makes that vehicle a total waste. Some people are content with buying a 3rd row SUV and perm leaving 3rd row down for more space. That defeats whole purpose of buying a 3 row vehicle. If it was only two rows with all that cargo space, I would love the explorer.

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 7:38 AM, akirby said:

I think you’re expecting too much out of a basic transverse engine platform.   It would be easier to make a high performance crossover off the Explorer/Aviator CD6 longitudinal platform but word is the new Edge will be on the FWD C2 platform instead.   Maybe the Explorer ST will give you the performance you’re looking for.

I think Edge Sport/ST is pretty close to the max you’re going to get out of the platform.

You will be getting max out of Edge with an RS badge... and manual tranny... and 2.7EB tuned to 460hp (which is quite possible considering 2.3l EB Focus RS with M400 Mountune delivers 394bhp).

My point is that an ST badge it is not even tuned at all. Take 2.0l EB, it delivers 255hp thus 127.5hp per litre of displacement. 127.5hp times 2.7l gives us 344hp while Edge ST is only tuned to 335hp which means it is heavily underperforming, same with 3.5l EB in Explorer delivering just 365hp - underperformer as well... (127.5hp times 3.5l gives 446hp).

Should admit though Mountune is quite costly and probably it is advisable to upgrade to Audi... :))).

"To achieve 394bhp, M400 Mountune adds a high-flow induction kit, an uprated re-circulating valve, a large-capacity intercooler, a high-flow charge pipe, a three-inch exhaust downpipe with 200-cell sport catalytic converter, a three-inch exhaust system from the cat backwards and a remap of the ECU. Ford claims the standard Focus RS can reach 62mph from a standstill in just 4.7sec. We’ve actually achieved the same time when launching the RS to just 60mph, too. The M400, however, is significantly quicker completing the 0-60mph dash in just 4.2sec."

Edited by redden18

But manufacturers have to worry about emissions, CAFE (fuel economy), everyday driveability and durability (warranty).   An aftermarket tuner doesn't.

Given the lackluster sales on the Focus RS I don't think Ford is interested in an Edge RS which would have even less appeal.

It looks like the ST badge will be used instead of the Sport badge on all Ford models and they'll be introduced at the same time as the base models.  As opposed to what Ford Performance used to do which is take the production model and spend a couple of years tuning it.   Not to say they're mailing it in but I don't think they're going to be spending as much time tuning the new ST models as they used to.  But there will be a lot more of them (Edge, Escape, Explorer for sure). 

My point was they'll have a lot more to work with on the Explorer ST being RWD based - they can share Mustang and truck drivetrains. 

@akirby

I agree on the Explorer, the police version already outran the AWD & RWD 5.7 Charger Police versions, in acceleration, top speed & track. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/04/2020-ford-police-interceptor-utility-performance-tests/

The regular 5.7 charger is quicker than the Edge, though, the Police Charger has a 5 Speed auto versus the 8-speed in the civilian version. 

Focus RS sales are lackluster because Ford built a car that was an 'enthusiast'  wish list.  Fact is, very few people want a track car to drive on the street.  I doubt Ford makes that mistake again.  I waited until the Focus RS came out, looked at it and bought a Golf R instead.  The Golf R is a pleasure to drive every day, yet is still very entertaining.

I doubt there is really any market for a track oriented Edge.  The Edge ST with the brake package and a tune is all you really need.  I have the 2.7 in an F-150 with a 93 performance tune and it is really quick.  In the Edge it would be a rocket.