Back door weather stripping

baggermike

Anyone else having problems with the back door weather strips coming off at the bottom?  We live on a dirt road and when dirt builds up on the lower portion of the weather stripping, it pulls off and flops down.  Our body shop guy says he sees many Edges come in with that problem.  He says its a Ford engineering issue.  Also, somewhat related, is how much dirt or snow and ice build up under the doors, covering the flat edges at the bottom of the door and along the threshold.   Anyone figure out how to remedy this issue?  The body guy says even if you replace the weatherstripping, it will begin to happen again in a not too long time period.

1 hour ago, baggermike said:

"how much dirt or snow and ice build up under the doors, covering the flat edges at the bottom of the door and along the threshold.   Anyone figure out how to remedy this issue?"

Easy… Every time I wash my car, I hose off the mud and snow at the bottom of the doors, then I wash the whole car and when I'm done, I wipe the car dry with a chammy and also wipe off the area in the door jambs … Simple eh?… :thumbsup:

Claude. 

14 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Easy… Every time I wash my car, I hose off the mud and snow at the bottom of the doors, then I wash the whole car and when I'm done, I wipe the car dry with a chammy and also wipe off the area in the door jambs … Simple eh?… :thumbsup:

Claude. 

This is not remedying the problem.   But thanks anyway.

7 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Take both seals off car, grab pliers. With pliers squeeze the seals metal so its tight. Walk your way down the whole seal with the pliers, reinstall. Mine have not budged since I did this

I'll try that when it comes back off.  But man I can just see problems coming from snow and ice laying in there for periods of time.

Thsnks for the advice!

Not sure if this will help but you may wish to check on the following Technical Service Bulletin issued back in November. 

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Dirt/Dust And/Or Ice Accumulation At The Bottom Inside Of Doors
18-2339
09 November 2018

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 17-0056 to update the Service Procedure, Parts List, and vehicle model years affected.

Issue: Some 2015-2018 Edge vehicles may exhibit dirt, dust and/or ice accumulation at the bottom of the inside of the front and/or rear door openings. This may be due to extended driving on non-paved or slushy roads.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, omar302 said:

@jmr061 just posted before your post a TSB for fixing (or reducing) this issue.

I couldn't find a PDF of the new TSB but found the old one, and seems interesting how they are trying to tackle the issue. 

17-0056.pdf

Thanks for the link… It looks like a little "flap" to prevent road dirt from being thrown under the doors… I'll ask my dealer about it...

Thanks again,

Claude. :thumbsup:

P.S:  --->…but I still insist that washing the area at the bottom of the doors when washing the car can't hurt either! ;)

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 12:58 AM, omar302 said:

@jmr061 just posted before your post a TSB for fixing (or reducing) this issue.

I couldn't find a PDF of the new TSB but found the old one, and seems interesting how they are trying to tackle the issue. 

17-0056.pdf

On 12/22/2018 at 2:32 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Thanks for the link… It looks like a little "flap" to prevent road dirt from being thrown under the doors… I'll ask my dealer about it...

Thanks again,

Claude. :thumbsup:

P.S:  --->…but I still insist that washing the area at the bottom of the doors when washing the car can't hurt either! ;)

I think my '17 Titanium has those little "mini mud flaps". Wondered what they were for. Interestingly, I just did a wash and dry on the car this morning. Was wiping out the rear door (ton's-o-dirt) thinking they need to do something about the crud getting up inside the door ........ ?. My '07 Mazda CX7 had that issue. Mazda issued a small rubber seal for the bottom of all the doors. Worked like a charm. You'd think with all the tech Ford has ... acquired ... from Mazda and Volvo they could do something more than a mini-flap. Or, maybe I don't know how bad it was before the fix. ... ?

20181224_110954.jpg.44878214e7f74fc0442f5a5883a53d94.jpg20181224_110941.jpg.048eae2b6c959ba623884d96bc727f71.jpg

No that is not them.  The mini mud flaps attach on the bottom of the rocker panel.

Edit...looks like they go behind the front wheels so if that is the case, if you put on front mud flaps these would be useless by my guess.

Further edit --- it appears the newer TSB uses grip tape to help attach the new weatherseals and presumably keep them from being torn away from the vehicle.

Edited by jmr061

5 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

No that is not them.  The mini mud flaps attach on the bottom of the rocker panel.

Edit...looks like they go behind the front wheels so if that is the case, if you put on front mud flaps these would be useless by my guess.

Then that must explain why I still had so much crud in the doors. Darn it! Mud flaps are on the list. But I don't see how that would mitigate the crud getting in the rear doors. 

• 1 month later...
On 24 décembre 2018 at 12:18 PM, KennyE said:

I think my '17 Titanium has those little "mini mud flaps". Wondered what they were for. Interestingly, I just did a wash and dry on the car this morning. Was wiping out the rear door (ton's-o-dirt) thinking they need to do something about the crud getting up inside the door ........ ?. My '07 Mazda CX7 had that issue. Mazda issued a small rubber seal for the bottom of all the doors. Worked like a charm. You'd think with all the tech Ford has ... acquired ... from Mazda and Volvo they could do something more than a mini-flap. Or, maybe I don't know how bad it was before the fix. ... ?

20181224_110954.jpg.44878214e7f74fc0442f5a5883a53d94.jpg20181224_110941.jpg.048eae2b6c959ba623884d96bc727f71.jpg

--> "jmr061" is right, that's NOT them…The ones you posted are in front of the rear wheels… The ones we're talking about go behind the front wheels to prevent dirt thrown by the front wheels from ending up on the edge ( :lol:) of the bottom of the doors . The TSB also inculdes some new weatherstrips. My dealer ordered them for me and he's supposed to give me a call when the parts are in to schedule an appointment. He said there shouldn't be any charge for this mod.

Claude. :salute:

Edited by 2FAST4U

• 1 month later...

Anyone had the TSB applied to their Edge? I asked my dealer and they ordered the parts, but they informed me that the mini-mudflaps have been on back order since early January!

Edit, April 12: was just informed yesterday by the dealer that the parts arrived. 

Edited by omar302

• 2 weeks later...
On 28 mars 2019 at 2:46 PM, omar302 said:

Anyone had the TSB applied to their Edge? I asked my dealer and they ordered the parts, but they informed me that the mini-mudflaps have been on back order since early January!

Yes I finally had it done yesterday at no charge. They installed a small deflector behind the front wheels and also replaced the long weatherstrip which runs the whole length of the rocker panel with a new one (that's shaped differently than the one it replaces probably to keep dirt from accumulating at the bottom of the doors).

Claude. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

How has the small deflector and new weatherstrip held up? Keeping the dirt from accumulating? 

On 4/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Yes I finally had it done yesterday at no charge. They installed a small deflector behind the front wheels and also replaced the long weatherstrip which runs the whole length of the rocker panel with a new one (that's shaped differently than the one it replaces probably to keep dirt from accumulating at the bottom of the doors).

Claude.