Edge ST 180 Degree Rear Camera

3 hours ago, akirby said:

It's 2000, you're by yourself and you have to back out from between 2 large trucks into oncoming traffic.  Whatchagonnado?

it's actually almost 2 decades after 2000. For one, I park to leave, so 100% of the time I am backed in. Two, I'd question why two trucks parked in the back of the lot with me. Though I'd probably do what they did for all automotive ages up to the camera point and exactly what SEMI's do, slowly back out till you know it's clear. oncoming traffic in a parking lot will stop.

2 hours ago, JCrew7384 said:

That's not the point... Why go backwards in technology... Are you arguing that a non-180 degree rear camera is better than a 180 degree rear camera?

it is a tool used for assistance, it's not a replacement. I never said either camera was better than the other. I can tell you that you will not pass a driving test looking at the camera in the car as you back up. I just put a rear camera in my 16 year old son's prelude but for his driving test, the camera can't be used.

But you have to admit it's the one area where there is no manual alternative for the technology.  You just have to back out slowly and pray nobody hits you.

Just like seeing directly behind your bumper from the driver's seat. 

Other things like blind spot detection you are 100% correct.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

But you have to admit it's the one area where there is no manual alternative for the technology.  You just have to back out slowly and pray nobody hits you.

Just like seeing directly behind your bumper from the driver's seat. 

Other things like blind spot detection you are 100% correct.

well yeah, before you get in, you observe your surroundings, verify that likely hood of anyone coming is slim and then proceed to back out. It sucks, but it's not hard. Yes a camera makes it easier. Though that shouldn't be a deal breaker in a purchase imo

1 minute ago, Nick Halstead said:

well yeah, before you get in, you observe your surroundings, verify that likely hood of anyone coming is slim and then proceed to back out. It sucks, but it's not hard. Yes a camera makes it easier. Though that shouldn't be a deal breaker in a purchase imo

agree, not a dealbreaker... but odd that Ford goes all out on marketing the new front 180 degree camera, again, when my 2016 explorer had both a front and rear 180 camera 3 years ago.

20 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

it's actually almost 2 decades after 2000. For one, I park to leave, so 100% of the time I am backed in. Two, I'd question why two trucks parked in the back of the lot with me. Though I'd probably do what they did for all automotive ages up to the camera point and exactly what SEMI's do, slowly back out till you know it's clear. oncoming traffic in a parking lot will stop.

it is a tool used for assistance, it's not a replacement. I never said either camera was better than the other. I can tell you that you will not pass a driving test looking at the camera in the car as you back up. I just put a rear camera in my 16 year old son's prelude but for his driving test, the camera can't be used.

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered.  Do you think the testing standards are just behind the times?  Rear cameras are now required on all new cars so maybe they'll get around to changing the testing because a camera definitely works better than turning your head or using the mirrors.

To your other point, I have encountered plenty of parking garages which don't allow backing into a space and then there's always angled parking where backing in is at least dumb and at most illegal because it leaves the vehicle pointed the wrong way for traffic.  In those cases, a backup camera and cross traffic alerts can be very useful.

In my case, lack of a rear camera (not necessarily 180 degree or cross traffic) is a deal breaker.  At my age I no longer have the flexibility to turn around without pain (it sucks getting old).

Edited by TheWizard

You don't have to be parked between trucks, a full size crossover or SUV are enough to block you view of traffic from that side. 

As for parking reversed, yes I agree and I do park like that most of the time. Even once in Orlando an old lady got upset why I was parking like that! Even after waiting for her to pass before reverse parking she was upset I didn't park "normally".

I normally back in on one way too. Even in parking garages, if not I park next to pillar or at the very top. If I cant find a safe spot where nobody is going to hit my car, I'll park down the street. I literally go out the way when it goes to parking.

Me parking at wifes job in Waikiki for lunch, using my fusion as a nice buffer

113466218_10208222945104715_8115779971870

Edited by Nick Halstead

1 hour ago, omar302 said:

You don't have to be parked between trucks, a full size crossover or SUV are enough to block you view of traffic from that side. 

As for parking reversed, yes I agree and I do park like that most of the time. Even once in Orlando an old lady got upset why I was parking like that! Even after waiting for her to pass before reverse parking she was upset I didn't park "normally".

In downtown Seattle they do reverse angled parking so you have to go past the space then back in.  I thought it was stupid when I first saw it but then realized it was actually far safer and a great idea.

But you can’t always back in.

I got really pissed off last weekend and wished I had some zip ties or something with me.    To the left of my grey F150 were 20 completely empty parking spots and this asshole parks right next to my truck and another car.  I had to crawl in through the passenger door.

It drives me crazy when my wife tries to park next to a curb or right next to one or two vehicles when there are open spots 10 feet away.

7350BCAC-9E24-479A-B418-955C819FBB48.jpeg

• Like 2

A couple of options here... the truck appears to be a work truck so calling the company about the ignorant employee they have can make an impression (I know we take calls like that very seriously).  Or you can do what I do - keep several copies of this image in the car to put under their wiper:

Bad Parkers.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1