Edge ST 180 Degree Rear Camera

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

explorer never had a 180 degree REAR camera, only Front camera's are 180. and yes edge does too. on front

The 2016 Explorer got the rear split view camera with washer. It was disappointing that Ford did not implement both features on the Edge. Also Nick, please notice that @JCrew7384 was referring to this feature on his own Explorer that he personally used. It was not highlighted a lot as most of the talk was about the Front Camera, but it is there. This is from the 2016 Explorer Brochure:

image.thumb.png.ac398af58a8a0b67ba0724e973456b04.png

5 minutes ago, omar302 said:

The 2016 Explorer got the rear split view camera with washer. It was disappointing that Ford did not implement both features on the Edge. Also Nick, please notice that @JCrew7384 was referring to this feature on his own Explorer that he personally used. It was not highlighted a lot as most of the talk was about the Front Camera, but it is there. This is from the 2016 Explorer Brochure:

image.thumb.png.ac398af58a8a0b67ba0724e973456b04.png

my bad, I stopped two pages up where it talks about the front due to the game being one, usually click next to see all results on pdfs....ooppps

11 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

my bad, I stopped two pages up where it talks about the front due to the game being one, usually click next to see all results on pdfs....ooppps

That's correct, the rear on my Explorer has 180 degree camera. I find it incredibly useful for backing out of spots, driveways, etc, actually more useful than a 180 degree front camera, mostly because it turns itself on automatically and it was just a quick hard button click away from making it 180 degree mode. The front camera never really helped me see any better than I already could out the windows

44 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

It has 360 degrees worth of cameras if you get that option.  It is not standard.  The camera is not on the front unless you get the package.  It is in the 401A package on the ST.

I don’t think the edge has a 360 degree surround view option does it 

46 minutes ago, JCrew7384 said:

I don’t think the edge has a 360 degree surround view option does it 

This is the option on the ST, it also should be available on the Titanium and maybe the SEL.  Front 180-Degree Camera with Split View and Washer. I know there is a front grill camera on the 401A package but not on the 400A which I have, I do have a camera mounted in front of the rear view mirror but that is for the auto high beam, lane assist, and braking assist I think.  Googling the camera gets you to this page https://newatlas.com/ford-split-view-camera-see-around-corners/38182/

Now you have me wondering if the rear view does the tri pane view. 

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

This is the option on the ST, it also should be available on the Titanium and maybe the SEL.  Front 180-Degree Camera with Split View and Washer. I know there is a front grill camera on the 401A package but not on the 400A which I have, I do have a camera mounted in front of the rear view mirror but that is for the auto high beam, lane assist, and braking assist I think.  Googling the camera gets you to this page https://newatlas.com/ford-split-view-camera-see-around-corners/38182/

Now you have me wondering if the rear view does the tri pane view. 

That article references "backing out" but I am pretty sure the Edge does not have the split view in reverse.

10 hours ago, omar302 said:

The Edge has a regular (single View) rear camera. Even the 2019. Unfortunately the split view (180 degree) camera is not yet available for the rear. it is for the front only when equipped with a front camera.

Why do you suppose they made that specific design decision? Certainly the tech is there. My '16 Explorer has a split view in the rear AND the front. It is fantastic for backing out of spaces... And is not less effective on a smaller car.

I'd also say it is like what akirby stated, cost cutting. But I think it started with the fact that the tech 1st came in 2016 and at that time the new generation Edge had already been introduced, in other words it missed the tech, but they should have added it in the refresh (2019). Another reason might be the fact that the Explorer is designed with police duty in consideration and they do have a sort of rear surveillance system. 

I wish we could find a lens of sort that can be put on the rear camera that would widen the view. 

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Doesn’t it have cross traffic alert?   

Yes it does. But then you'll have to look at the side view mirrors or the instrument cluster to know which side the vehicle is coming from and wait to see if it is a true  warning. The rear cross traffic alert is not really that reliable, had it on the MKX & now on the Edge and could never trust it. They should have at least added indicators on the rear camera view so you'll know whci side the alert is from.

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

Yes it does. But then you'll have to look at the side view mirrors or the instrument cluster to know which side the vehicle is coming from and wait to see if it is a true  warning. The rear cross traffic alert is not really that reliable, had it on the MKX & now on the Edge and could never trust it. They should have at least added indicators on the rear camera view so you'll know whci side the alert is from.

EXACTLY!!!! I feel much safer backing out with my 16 Explorer than with a 19 Edge...

Cross traffic alert doesn't catch non-vehicle issues as well. People. Shopping carts, kids on bikes... 

I rented a Cadillac XT5 over the holidays (it was an "upgrade").  It had the cross traffic alerts as well as a parking aid that would let you know when you were too close to an obstruction when parking.  But it was configured to vibrate the driver's seat cushion as an alert.  When backing out, it vibrates the side of the seat that corresponds to the side with approaching traffic.  It's incredibly annoying!  I would much rather have just an alert beep and have to look for the cross traffic instead of this thing giving me an unexpected massage.

I really appreciate the concept of cross traffic alert but the implementation needs to be much better.  And don't even get me started on other electronic "nannies" that they are forcing on us (automatic emergency braking for one).  If included, they should be optional or at least capable of being disabled.

2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

I think some of you need to focus back on driving basics and not relying on technology to get you out of every situation.

That's not the point... Why go backwards in technology... Are you arguing that a non-180 degree rear camera is better than a 180 degree rear camera?