Loss of brakes-Part II - The Smoking Gun....

48 minutes ago, quincy said:

Yes, it does sound odd, but there is a safety recall out for the condition.  I did not make the recall number up. It really exists. 

I realize 1 + 1 does not always = 2, but this one company makes all the brakes for the major OEM's.  Just like Takata made the air bagas for the major OEM's.  Look at that debacle. 

As of this date (3/5/19) I have not been contacted by anyone at NHTSA.  Time will tell if they ever do.

In the meantime my braking system is 100% functional and I have a 2 year 24K mile warranty from the dealership.

Read into it.. the defect is caused by excess hydrogen not being properly dissipated due to failure to properly post plate oven temper. its a short term that will occur at operating temp. Remedy is a single brake bleeding procedure. It would be a very small amount of hydrogen that would potentially end up in the hydraulic system and will result only in minimally degraded braking performance. It would have happened back when the calipers were brand new.

Read into it.. the defect is caused by excess hydrogen not being properly dissipated due to failure to properly post plate oven temper. its a short term off-gassing that will occur at operating temp. Remedy is a single brake bleeding procedure. It would be a very small amount of hydrogen that would potentially end up in the hydraulic system and will result only in minimally degraded braking performance. It would have happened back when the calipers were brand new.

Edited by Fingernip

It was from a coating on the piston in the caliper being wrongly applied and off gassing hydrogen gas into the brake fluid around the piston for the honda. This is not something guaranteed to affect every mode with these brakes unlike air bags. The manufacturer told honda they screwed up so the repair would likely be covered by the manufacturer and not cost honda or anyone else anything so I can't see Ford sweeping it under the rug if Ford was informed about it.

It also only applied to 2018-19 models, long after your 2012, so I highly doubt it applies at all.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25174228/honda-odyssey-hr-v-acura-mdx-recall-brakes/

Just now, Perblue said:

It was from a coating on the piston in the caliper being wrongly applied and off gassing hydrogen gas into the brake fluid around the piston for the honda. This is not something guaranteed to affect every mode with these brakes unlike air bags. The manufacturer told honda they screwed up so the repair would likely be covered by the manufacturer and not cost honda or anyone else anything so I can't see Ford sweeping it under the rug if Ford was informed about it.

It also only applied to 2018-19 models, long after your 2012, so I highly doubt it applies at all.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25174228/honda-odyssey-hr-v-acura-mdx-recall-brakes/

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLRPT-18V777-2781.PDF

This is the actual complaint. its a plating process with a skipped or incorrectly performed post plating stress relief. I am process engineer in an aerospace repair station. Very familiar with the process. With us it would be a much bigger deal though lol. 

4 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLRPT-18V777-2781.PDF

This is the actual complaint. its a plating process with a skipped or incorrectly performed post plating stress relief. I am process engineer in an aerospace repair station. Very familiar with the process. With us it would be a much bigger deal though lol. 

Cool! I'll give it a read. I didn't refresh the message before I started typing and seen you posted the same thing only after I posted lol.

6 hours ago, Fingernip said:

The off gassing theory sounds odd. Off gassing into a seal hydraulic system would mean chemical reaction with brake fluid and formation of gas bubbles causing displacement. Any significant displacement will cause overfill of the brake fluid and will be reflected in the reservoir and/or high pedal.. A once correctly topped off system will slowly magically seem to gain fluid. 

The whole story sounds more like BS, with zero links to any article, TSB or recall on Ford Edge's.

Edited by 1004ron

No other explanation was provided by the certified and trained experts at East Tennessee Ford.

After 5 weeks in the shop only a mystery 'second special bleed procedure' involving the application of the  the  emergency brake brought the brake pedal back up to normal.

Coincidence?  Perhaps?  Incompetence at the technician level?  Perhaps?

The point of this post is to warn others of a potential issue, and to advise owners to have their brake fluid system flushed every so often.   Cheap insurance! 

It took two others to concur that off gassing in the brake system was even possible while others cast stones..........

12 hours ago, quincy said:

No other explanation was provided by the certified and trained experts at East Tennessee Ford.

After 5 weeks in the shop only a mystery 'second special bleed procedure' involving the application of the  the  emergency brake brought the brake pedal back up to normal.

Coincidence?  Perhaps?  Incompetence at the technician level?  Perhaps?

The point of this post is to warn others of a potential issue, and to advise owners to have their brake fluid system flushed every so often.   Cheap insurance! 

It took two others to concur that off gassing in the brake system was even possible while others cast stones..........

Unless you have recently replaced something in the braking system i would rule out off-gassing as a probable culprit. In the case something was changed it introduces a ton of new variables.