HVAC Performance in Extreme Cold

handfiler

Has anyone had the opportunity to evaluate the heat output in extreme cold weather? How long does it take to get up to operating temperature? We're in a bit of a deep freeze up here of late and that's when I like to test drive vehicles. Unfortunately no Edge ST's on the lot at any of the 7 dealerships in town.

We've had some - 30 C days plus wind chill and it seemed to heat up faster and stay warmer than my 2013 3.5l did. Also I don't need to have the fan on as high of setting to keep warm also. 

I've never paid attention on how long it actually takes to get up to operating temp but I've never had to leave it longer than 5 minutes warming up before I start driving and it's normally blowing warm air, hot shortly after driving. It also starts in a super high idle/warm up cycle compared to my 2013.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Perblue said:

We've had some - 30 C days plus wind chill and it seemed to heat up faster and stay warmer than my 2013 3.5l did. Also I don't need to have the fan on as high of setting to keep warm also. 

I've never paid attention on how long it actually takes to get up to operating temp but I've never had to leave it longer than 5 minutes warming up before I start driving and it's normally blowing warm air, hot shortly after driving. It also starts in a super high idle/warm up cycle compared to my 2013.  

Nice to get an opinion from someone that experiences virtually identical weather to what we do. Thanks.

Mine heated up and maintained heat just fine when it was -20 here on Tuesday.  Remote started and let it run for 5 minutes or so before driving off and it was defrosting the frozen windshield while driving down my road, I live out in the boonies and park outside.  But it was fully defrosted on about 2-3 minutes of the drive down the road.  Heat was fine I set it to 72. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was finally able to take a test drive this afternoon. It was a balmy -18 Celsius so not a true cold weather test. I must say though that the HVAC is definitely up to the task. This  particular unit was on the lot and hadn't been started in a few days. It was up to operating temperature in no time at all.

The Edge  is very quiet.

20190216_144603 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1