iPod hook-up

Early on I'm sure I saw an ad or commercial showing an iPod hooked-up in the center console using the bottom dock connector. One of salesmen I talked also said I could control my iPod using the steering wheel audio controls. Now that people have their Edges, is this true? Or is it just an audio connector through the headphone jack?

Early on I'm sure I saw an ad or commercial showing an iPod hooked-up in the center console using the bottom dock connector. One of salesmen I talked also said I could control my iPod using the steering wheel audio controls. Now that people have their Edges, is this true? Or is it just an audio connector through the headphone jack?

The "dock" is strictly a stereo audio input jack. It's convenient, and the lip of the console has been cut to allow the iPod to remain outside for the user to control. I leave mine in the console, and listen to whatever is playing. I did notice that there is a considerable volume loss using the stereo jack. Even with the iPod cranked to full volume, you cannot amplify it much. So... if you switch between SR and FM and your iPod, you have to keep changing the volume.

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if they are even going to bother with Triptunes now that Sync is coming out next year.

"Sync"? Could you tell us more please?

To the original poster on this thread: According to what I've read in the owner's manual, you *cannot* control your iPod (beyond volume) from the steering wheel or anywhere else without additional hardware*. The port that comes standard in the console is just an audio-in port. You need to buy a standard 1/4" male-to-male (headphone jacks on both ends) cable at your local electronics store in order to use it.

*Additional hardware: I found this (link below) and exchanged brief e-mails with a technician who said that the Edge is so new, they haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But I don't expect it's going to be a problem. http://peripheralelectronics.com/prodDetai...&strSearch=

Hrynkiw

Expecting delivery in about two weeks

I am sure you all already know this. But it isnt an iPod hookup...it is an mp3 player hookup. I freakin hate ipods! You hoook any mp3 player up using the jack and the only thing I do not like about it, is that you need to make sure the volume on your mp3 player is up as well as the volume control on the radio...

I am sure you all already know this. But it isnt an iPod hookup...it is an mp3 player hookup. I freakin hate ipods! You hoook any mp3 player up using the jack and the only thing I do not like about it, is that you need to make sure the volume on your mp3 player is up as well as the volume control on the radio...

Stupid question, but what is the difference between an Ipod and Mp3 player? My daughter has a nano Ipod thats not an Mp3 player?

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you looking for a little more volume for your ipod using the console aux in, try the Belkin Ipod doc connector. It has an amplifier to give you some extra volume, and it uses the dock connectors audio out (with a stereo plug).

Sounds clear, loud and is reasonably priced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16855995042

For those of you looking for a little more volume for your ipod using the console aux in, try the Belkin Ipod doc connector. It has an amplifier to give you some extra volume, and it uses the dock connectors audio out (with a stereo plug).

So I plug that into the bottom of my Ipod then the audio cord goes from that to the input in the console? Very nice. Does it charge as well? I would assume so......

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I picked this up at Target for $29.99 and it makes a HUGE difference!!!!!

Just to throw another suggestion into the fire... I have the iCarPlay made by Monster. http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3029

Their site shows it at $80 but I found it for $60 at Wally World. It charges as well and has the nice advantage of switching to a trickle charge when it's full. This is great since I do a lot of road trips and my last iPod would get so hot I couldn't touch it. The Plus model that I have also lets you choose any station to tune it to. The lower model has three presets that 'might' work in a big city with lots of stations. Anyways, I think the quality is good, certainly better than the tin-y satelite reception.

:beerchug:

Just got my Edge a few days ago and I picked up a cheap audio cable from Best Buy. It plugs into the headphone outlet on the IPod and then into the Aux. outlet in the console. I have a IPod holder that fits in one of the cup holders. There is a little opening in the console that you can pass the cord through. I haven't noticed any problem with the quality of the sound or the volume.

It is so nice not to have to try and find a station that I can play through without any static like I had to do with my old car.

post-587-1177120722_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

i know what you mean, that white ipod cable the show is a car charger cable and they dont show the stereo

1\8" cable pluged in so they kinda trick you.

To the original poster on this thread: According to what I've read in the owner's manual, you *cannot* control your iPod (beyond volume) from the steering wheel or anywhere else without additional hardware*. The port that comes standard in the console is just an audio-in port. You need to buy a standard 1/4" male-to-male (headphone jacks on both ends) cable at your local electronics store in order to use it.

*Additional hardware: I found this (link below) and exchanged brief e-mails with a technician who said that the Edge is so new, they haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But I don't expect it's going to be a problem. http://peripheralelectronics.com/prodDetai...&strSearch=

Hrynkiw

Expecting delivery in about two weeks

If I'm reading correctly, you CANNOT use this device with Sirius hooked up. You need to choose one or the other.

Brandmotion has an adapter for the iPod that works with the Edge OEM head-unit AND is compatible with the SIRIUS receiver. Check out their web site for details: www.brandmotion.com. The president of the company drives an Edge with the satellite receiver with one of these installed.

According to the small print on the bottom of the brandmotion page, it's not compatible with an Edge that has navigation, though. A shame......maybe they'll come up with one soon?

www.syncmyride.com

Essentially: it provides total mobile audio integration with iPod, Plays4Sure, Zune and USB thumb drives. AAC, WMA and MP3 support. Supports voice control, bluetooth audio streaming (stream net radio from your BT enabled phone) as well as the typical hands free phone stuff. From the demos I've seen the voice recognition is outstanding and does not require training.

-Ian

According to the small print on the bottom of the brandmotion page, it's not compatible with an Edge that has navigation, though. A shame......maybe they'll come up with one soon?

'Tis true, but hope looms on the horizon . . . Navigation radio adapter is in development. Check back in July for release details. We've gotten enough comments to justify making this work - isn't market-driven business great?!!

• 2 months later...
'Tis true, but hope looms on the horizon . . . Navigation radio adapter is in development. Check back in July for release details. We've gotten enough comments to justify making this work - isn't market-driven business great?!!

To anyone interested in adding iPod to their factory Navigation Radio: Brandmotion now has the iPod Direct Connect PLUS!

We have lowered the price of the Direct Connect on our website to $225 from $245. There is no mention yet on our site of the PLUS adapter. However, we have the new NAV adapter and are offering it for $225 instead of $245 for 30 days only, to celebrate the launch of PLUS.

To get that price, either call us at 877-276-6456 or order on-line for $225 and make a note in your order (there is a special place for comments) that you have the factory nav. We'll make sure you get the right kit. The plan is that the price will go back up to $245 on Oct.1 for the PLUS and stay at $225 for the basic version.

If you have the factory navigation radio, but not a factory SIRIUS receiver, you'll want to get IPDCFD001N. If you have both you'll want the IPDCFD002N. The website doesn't have these part numbers listed so put that in the comments with the words "factory nav".

Besides working with navigation, we increased the search speed and made the steering wheel controls work better for some vehicles.