FYI: TSB Issued for Transmission [False Alarm, no TSB!]

bobyellow

Off to pick-up my 'new' ride, 'new' meaning it should shift correctly. Took two visits and warning about the RPM flare going to cause a engine failure.

Dealer 1st visit: we were able to experience your description but can't see any faults. Sorry. We will contact Ford. Crickets... 

Dealer 2nd visit but still same service ticket: we weren't able to experience your description but the technician didn't feel it shifted correctly. We found a TSB that described your issue. We applied it to your car. Test drove. Car acted totally different. Also, your car is still in break-in mode so don't drive it too hard (BS is called here as my car has 1600 miles).

Fingers crossed. I still can't believe it took so much to get them to believe me. And then finally look for a TSB. AND they don't want to close the service ticket until I report back. Guess they don't want the LEMON LAW to kick in with 3 visits.

Built on day 1. 9/5/18

[Update: only a PCM update. From service: "Found Update for PCM during Quick Test."]

Edited by bobyellow

18 minutes ago, bobyellow said:

Off to pick-up my 'new' ride, 'new' meaning it should shift correctly. Took two visits and warning about the RPM flare going to cause a engine failure.

Dealer 1st visit: we were able to experience your description but can't see any faults. Sorry. We will contact Ford. Crickets... 

Dealer 2nd visit but still same service ticket: we weren't able to experience your description but the technician didn't feel it shifted correctly. We found a TSB that described your issue. We applied it to your car. Test drove. Car acted totally different. Also, your car is still in break-in mode so don't drive it too hard (BS is called here as my car has 1600 miles).

Fingers crossed. I still can't believe it took so much to get them to believe me. And then finally look for a TSB. AND they don't want to close the service ticket until I report back. Guess they don't want the LEMON LAW to kick in with 3 visits.

Built on day 1. 9/5/18

Sorry you had to deal with this, but hoping this is overall good news that the initial transmission issues have been fixed in software!

Good news!

Mine appears to shift alright, build date was December 19th 2018.

I wonder if the TSB would improve it further or if I have the same software already.

I've only got 600km on it so I'm still breaking it in, haven't had a chance to floor it or drive it too hard yet and really see how it shifts under load.

1 hour ago, jmr061 said:

Is the TSB # referenced?  I see nothing that would relate to the 19 Edge ST.

I don't have the service paperwork yet. They want me to drive it for a while. Unless they lied, and just performed some sort of reset to the 'learning' of the transmission. 

Drives totally different than when I dropped it off. 

Well, there appears to be something different in vehicle software. My new LMS Tuner shows the following (note: haven't applied a tune yet, was waiting for this transmission issue to be resolved).

Code:

Before : CNDK2F3

After TSB: CNDM1A4.H32

These are the Strategy codes I believe.

SW: different too.

BeforeTSB_EdgeST.png

AfterTSB_EdgeST.png

Edited by bobyellow
Images too large

The dealer updated the PCM software.  Not a surprise.  Transmission learning is also reset when this happens.  I would ask for the specific TSB #.  I don't see one for updating the PCM.  Ford may have told them just to update the PCM calibration/software or they figured they would try it on there own.

This is great news as I am one of those guys waiting for summer before purchasing an ST I really would like to hear they got this issue fixed.  I have watched every youtube video out there about the car and it seems they all (unless a dealer video) say the transmission shifts are not up to par.  I test drove an ST and it seemed okay to me but I didn't stand on the go pedal but it felt fine.  I am hoping all the bad reviews on youtube is from early builds which I would understand has issues I have purchased 15 + new cars in my life and some I got right when the new model came out and I ended up paying the price to debug it.  I think they refer to it as the bleeding edge LOL.  They all got fixed but sucked I was the one going to the dealer a few times a year to do it fixed  and the next model year all had all the fixes done from the factory.   :( 

Edited by vmaxbaby

Please report back if you get a TSB# posted on your paperwork (or request the TSB #).  My wife's has started to exhibit very rough shifts on slow acceleration at random times recently.  Not enough to reproduce but I'm hoping to address before it becomes a major issue and if it's just software, that's an easy fix.

I just pulled an October build ST vin that is still sitting on a dealer lot.  Only two TSBs:

• TSB 18-2378 - Effective Dec 17 2018
    2015-2019 Edge/2016-2018 MKX/2019 Nautilus - Fuel Slosh Noise - All Wheel Drive (AWD)
  • TSB 18-2361 - Effective Dec 4 2018
    2013-2019 Various Vehicles - Seat Pan Looseness, Lateral Movement, Or Clunk/Thump Noise on Turns
My guess is the dealer just decided to see if there was a calibration update for the PCM which there probably was and they said try this.
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 5:47 PM, MrHappy said:

Please report back if you get a TSB# posted on your paperwork (or request the TSB #).  My wife's has started to exhibit very rough shifts on slow acceleration at random times recently.  Not enough to reproduce but I'm hoping to address before it becomes a major issue and if it's just software, that's an easy fix.

Sorry to report that there was NOT a TSB for the transmission. The service guy was either confused or just trying to tell what I wanted to hear.

Only updated the PCM which then reset the 'learned shifting'. So either the file was corrupt OR I'm a really bad drive for the AI to have learned that a RPM flare was 'normal'.

Ford doesn't publish a change log for calibration updates which is unfortunate.  An update doesn't mean something was corrupted though.  It could mean they identified a minor issue (since no TSB out), or they added or deleted something from the programming, etc.  Maybe a bad thing, but I make the assumption if a change was made, it was made for the better and should be updated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

Ford doesn't publish a change log for calibration updates which is unfortunate.  An update doesn't mean something was corrupted though.  It could mean they identified a minor issue (since no TSB out), or they added or deleted something from the programming, etc.  Maybe a bad thing, but I make the assumption if a change was made, it was made for the better and should be updated.

The update seems fine. Broke FORScan due the new PCM version. Broke LMS too (have to get a new tune file, not that I had even put a tune on it yet. Was waiting for this to be resolved.).