Transmission Flush at 30k

slides

Dealer told me $650 for a 30k service which includes “cleaning the brakes” – never heard or done that in my life, tranny flush, and checking the air filters, obviously I told him F%&# NO I’m not paying/doing that, especially when ford says the tranny fluid is good for 150k. I can wrench on my own cars and have been for years, but one thing I can’t do is a tranny flush.

Of you that have done the tranny flush how much did you pay and where? And is it possible to do it at home? This is my first automatic, I have always had manuals, so when I have done tranny fluid in the past it’s a drain and fill.

Last time I checked the dealer was charging about $175 to exchange the fluid via the cooler lines.  This gets 95% of the old fluid out including the torque converter and doesn't use chemicals or high pressure.   30K is a little soon, most people do 60K.   The factory 150K recommendation is ridiculous.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

The downside is that only gets part of the fluid.  You have to do it multiple times to even get 80% of the old fluid out.  But it is simple.

Where do you guys dispose of the used fluid?

I  take  all oils to AutoZone.

I plan on doing the dump and fill method at around 60K mi.

On the Sport 2.7L Its damn awkward to get to the fill/level cap - most likely have to run it with the air intake hoses removed.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

I have to second the drain and fill approach. ?

I was real happy to see that Ford put a drain plug on my 2009 and also still left a dipstick/fill tube.  Mine takes Mercon V.  I purchased it used in 2010 with 64,000 miles on it.  Every year since I have drained it and filled it.  It takes 5.5 quarts every time.  I look for the fluid I like to use on sale and buy 6 quarts for $30 - $35 each year.  A small price to pay.  The drain and fill is actually easier then an oil change since the drain plug is so close to the front.  No jacking up the vehicle.  Simply drain, and fill.  I have a fluid extraction vacuum pump and suck out the power steering fluid and put the remaining 1/2 quart in the power steering pump (it also specify's Mercon V).  Roll forward to today (Feb/2019) and my Edge has 225,000 miles on it and the transmission and power steering unit have never had a repair and still work like new.

Oddly, when I bought the vehicle new in September of 2010 it already had the transmission fluid replaced.  The owner (corporate vehicle -  Salesman) had all his work done at a Valvoline quickie lube shop.  Not the first place I would have chosen.  My bet is they used Valvoline Max-Life transmission fluid (the paper work didn't say what they use).  Even more oddly was they also replaced all the antifreeze.  The paper work on both did not indicate how they did the service.  In 2010 I would guess it would have been some type of fluid extraction device rather then a straight drain and fill. 

I have also take the drain and fill approach on my antifreeze every other year using a premixed global lifetime fluid.  I use that type of fluid vs the Motorcraft specific fluid because I am sure that the quickie lube place did not go get Motorcraft specific fluid.  I am sure they used some type of "fits all" fluid.

We all know I have jinxed myself.  Today I will be driving and my transmission will lockup at the same type my steering goes out and my car overheats. ?

Finally, I take my fluids (the tranny fluid is mixed in with the regular oil) to an Advanced Auto Parts retailer.  We actually have a local business that will take the antifreeze for free.  

• Like 2

Just to clarify - the fluid exchange method at the dealership is not necessarily a flush and clean - it doesn't use chemicals and doesn't use force - it uses the internal transmission pump to exchange old fluid for new fluid so there should be no side effects other than lightening your wallet.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...