2016 Edge Transmission Hard Shifting

Maverick

I have a 2016 Edge Ecoboost. It’s my wife’s car so I don’t drive it often but I noticed it shifts hard when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd gear. It looks like the tranny hangs onto 2nd gear longer than it should which gives a pernounced bump. I also noticed during our last cold snap there is a delay in the transmission shifting into reverse  gear when selected. Is this a common experience. Thanks

i have the same issue in my 2016 3.5 Ti AWD. i posted about it here:

i originally wrote that it slams into 2nd gear but now i'm wondering if it's actually 3rd. i have a maintenance coming up in a couple of months which will be just before the expiry of the 3 year factory warranty and i will ask about it then. please be sure to post here if you find out anything more about this.

• Like 1

I have found that the transmission in my car( also a 2016 AWD Edge  Sport ) will shift harder when it is cold and it takes longer to heat up the trans to operating temperature than the engine. I try not to apply much power until everything is fully warmed up. We have had a cold snap here the last week or two with ice on the car and overnight temps dropping to 28* to 32*F a couple of days. On those days I noticed that it took longer to warm up the car and it took the transmission a lot longer to warm up and start shifting smooth. Now I know that those temperatures are not that bad compared to other parts of the world but that is cold for California . Perhaps part of your problem has to do with the cold and driving bit hard before the transmission is fully warmed up. You might also look into a transmission service. A transmission flush will replace all the fluid in the trans and the convertor . While a service where they drop the pan and replace the filter will only change the fluid in the transmission and leave the old fluid in the convertor. Another thing that could be done that might help is to reset the computer because it is a learning type and adjusts the transmission to how you drive over time. That is something you can do yourself it just takes a little time and a 10 mm open end wrench. Read the complete page one of the link for clearing the computer and reboot instructions. No promises any of this will work . It is a lot less expensive than a new transmission.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Could also try Valvoline MaxLife instead of Motorcraft LV.  I think they have started putting an active warmpup for the transmission, but have to dblchk which transmissions it applies to - 6f35/50/55.

The transmission fluid cooling system consists of the following:

• An oil­to­air transmission fluid cooler integrated with the A/C condenser
  • A transmission fluid cooler bypass valve
  • If equipped, a transmission fluid warmer
  • Tubes to all fluid to flow to the various components

The transmission fluid flows from the transmission to the cooler bypass valve. When the transmission fluid is below
normal operating temperature, the bypass valve directs the flow back to the transmission. When the transmission fluid is
at or above normal operating temperature, the bypass valve directs the flow through the transmission fluid cooler, which
transfers heat from the fluid to the air passing over the cooler. The transmission fluid then returns to the transmission.
The transmission fluid warmer optimized transmission fluid temperature. The transmission fluid warmer transfers heat
either from the coolant to the transmission fluid or from the transmission fluid to the coolant. If equipped, the transmission
fluid flows through the warmer. When the coolant is warmer than the transmission fluid, heat is transferred from the
coolant to the transmission fluid, warming the transmission fluid quickly to improve efficiency. When the transmission
fluid is warmer than the coolant, heat is transferred from the transmission fluid to the coolant, providing additional
transmission fluid cooling.

2015-2018 Edge Transmission Cooling with Active Warmup Diagrams.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 12:34 PM, Maverick said:

I have a 2016 Edge Ecoboost. It’s my wife’s car so I don’t drive it often but I noticed it shifts hard when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd gear. It looks like the tranny hangs onto 2nd gear longer than it should which gives a pernounced bump. I also noticed during our last cold snap there is a delay in the transmission shifting into reverse  gear when selected. Is this a common experience. Thanks

Did you end up finding a solution for this?

32 minutes ago, mvan231 said:

Did you end up finding a solution for this?

maybe the OP didn't but i did. at my last service, they reset the memory or programming for the transmission and that did the trick. transmission is back to normal now. apparently disconnecting the battery is not enough. it has to be done with their computer.

23 minutes ago, ben senise said:

maybe the OP didn't but i did. at my last service, they reset the memory or programming for the transmission and that did the trick. transmission is back to normal now. apparently disconnecting the battery is not enough. it has to be done with their computer.

That makes sense. It probably learned some strange shifting behavior at some point and disconnecting the battery won't make it forget the learned values. Sometimes, leaving the battery disconnected for a longer period of time works, but not sure on this one specifically. How long did you leave yours disconnected?

18 hours ago, mvan231 said:

It probably learned some strange shifting behavior at some point

It doesn't learn driving behaviors.   It simply adapts shift pressure to match factory specs as parts wear and to account for manufacturing tolerances.  Maybe it compensated for some temporary mechanical issue or the table just got corrupted.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:10 AM, akirby said:

It doesn't learn driving behaviors.   It simply adapts shift pressure to match factory specs as parts wear and to account for manufacturing tolerances.  Maybe it compensated for some temporary mechanical issue or the table just got corrupted.

Definitely could be the case I suppose. Electronic shifting can be strange in some cases. Odd that a reset can make it better sometimes and others not. 

1 hour ago, mvan231 said:

Definitely could be the case I suppose. Electronic shifting can be strange in some cases. Odd that a reset can make it better sometimes and others not. 

That was the case in my Lincoln LS.  Clearing the table made it shift better in most cases.  We even knew the guy whose team did the software and he couldn’t explain it either.  

3 hours ago, akirby said:

That was the case in my Lincoln LS.  Clearing the table made it shift better in most cases.  We even knew the guy whose team did the software and he couldn’t explain it either.  

that really gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling about the algorithms inside the software, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, mvan231 said:

that really gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling about the algorithms inside the software, doesn't it?

Probably not the algorithm at fault.  I have 32+ years in IT starting in software development.  I can think of over a dozen root causes for something like that.  I'm sure if they had been told about it and given time to analyze it they would have fixed it but by that time they were onto other projects.

That tranny was also used in the Explorer and Ranger and it was unique at the time.  To get 5 speeds out of a 3 spd overdrive tranny they engaged the overdrive twice.  So instead of:

1    2    3   3+OD

You had

1    1+OD   2   3   3+OD

So the shift from 2nd to 3rd required two things to happen at once - shift the 3 spd from 1st to 2nd and disengage the OD.   That was tricky.   Actually worked pretty well considering.

That was also the very first selectshift transmission debuting in mid 1999.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mvan231 said:

Wow! That is pretty interesting actually. Crazy the kind of things that can be done with transmissions. Most people have no clue how they work either

I have to admit the whole planetary/sun/ring gear thing still has me perplexed a little.