2017 Edge rocker panel issues

Posted these pictures before, but wanted to let new people know of my issue with my edge. Anytime I wash vehicle, I have to open all 4 doors to wash bottom edges with garden hose before washing rest of vehicle. It comes from the ground the car is being driven on, with dirt & pieces of tiny gravel. This is my first new Ford & probably last-it's a poor design. If you have no knowledge of this and you keep car for years, how will that not rust out.

20180216_120349_resized.jpg

20180216_120337_resized.jpg

Doesn't happen much on just city and highway.  It only happens to me when I visit my buddy up in Northern Wisconsin.  Dirt and gravel roads and lots of kicked up dust.  Just keep it clean.  If you worry, put some fluid film on the bottom edges of the doors

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:49 PM, 2017 SLE FORD EDGE said:

Can someone tell me what the  black clips are for?

The paint shop at the assembly plant needs large holes for the doors to drain.  At the same time, the holes want to be small in order to reduce the amount of road noise, wind noise, air leakage in the cabin.  So Ford's solution is to install these black clips after the car is painted.

I remove these from my cars.  Leaving them in impedes water drainage from the door, which causes rust on that bottom edge.  For me, they are not worth the 0.1% (or whatever) NVH improvement (doesn't everybody just turn on the radio anyways?)

Plus, now I have some nice large access holes to spray in some WD40 into the door periodically, as an additional anti-corrosion measure.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recently purchased 2016 sle, had t s b 18 2339 done at dealer, is helping some but still is open space  visable by looking into where the very bottom of rear doors fit into wheel wells.debris comes off rear tires , into open space, into inside bottom of doors.  Service manager has no solution.  Any suggestions?