ESC Button on Edge ST?

bobyellow

Just wondering what the 3rd option does... two are shown in the manual (1 & 2 pushes). The ST seems to have a 'hidden' 3rd option (race like the Fusion/Focus?).

Presses:

0 - normal mode with car start

1 - Traction control off   (stuck in snow/mud or launching at drag strip)

2 - Sport mode,  have to push twice quickly. Sport mode which allows the driver to reduce normal electronic stability control system intervention and provide a more spirited driving experience (from manual).

Long hold (status bar on display) - 'AdvanceTrac Off' how is this different than 1 quick push? Does this also disable Roll Control?

Thanks for any known information.

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

Traction Control is what keeps the wheels from spinning, like on snow or slippery surfaces. 

Advance Trac is what helps keeps the vehicle from going out of the intended track, usually when turning, think drifting or taking turns sideways. This is accomplished by braking individual wheels and/or cutting engine power. In Advance Trac Sport mode the system is dialed back to some degree to allow some spirited driving, when it is "off", then it is completely off.

I believe Roll Control can not be disabled.  @omar302 hit the nail on the head though, it disables traction control and Advance Trac.  So you can do donuts or slide the rear out.  Just turning traction control off, one press, will not allow any sliding or kicking out the rear.  Sport Mode is nice but I wish they made it like the Focus ST where is pretty much turned off traction but allowed some slippage of the vehicle if you were playing, before intervening.  Sport on the Edge kicks in the traction control to quick for my tastes and I never use it because it kicks in to much for wheel spin on take off from a stop say tuning a corner.  The Focus would let you light em up if you wanted to in Sport Mode, so much so that if you had a tune using a Cobb Accessport you could use Cobb's traction control instead which was more tuneable, controllable.  All you would do is put it in Sport mode to disable the factory and use the Cobb setup which was fuel/brake based instead of just brakes.  Anyway fun mode is with it all off on the Edge. 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 5:51 AM, dajo2012 said:

Look right under the rear hatch button.

Yes, thanks.

I figured it out when I got back in it and started looking around.

Now can you tell me why they call it an ESC button?

Is it connected to an Eject the passenger seat?  :)

@ANoid:  Electronic Stability Control.

From the Edge Owners manual:

USING STABILITY CONTROL

Electronic Stability Control
The system automatically turns on each time you switch the ignition on. You can switch off the traction control portion of the system independently.  See   Using Traction Control
Note:   The ESC OFF switch and Sport Mode are only available on the ST model.

ESC Features  
Button Functions   Mode   Stability Control Off Light   Electronic Stability Control   Traction Control System  
Default at start-up   -   On during bulb check   Enabled   Enabled  
Button pressed momentarily   Traction control off   On   Enabled   Disabled  
Button pressed twice rapidly   Sport mode (if equipped)   On   Enabled   Enabled  
Button pressed again after deactivation   ESC fully enabled   Off   Enabled   Enabled  

Note:   Do not use the Sport stability control setting on public roadways.
Some models may also have a sport mode which allows the driver to reduce normal electronic stability control system intervention and provide a more spirited driving experience. To enter sport mode, toggle the stability control button twice rapidly. The message appears in the information display that the system is now in sport mode.

Edited by omar302