Slyvania Silverstar Lamps

Does anyone know what the part number is for the low beam lamps? I would like to replace them with the Sylvania Silverstar lamps. A friend had the High beam replacement (number 9005) and installed them, what a difference. The vehicle is a 2008 Edge Limited AWD.

Thanks

Does anyone know what the part number is for the low beam lamps? I would like to replace them with the Sylvania Silverstar lamps. A friend had the High beam replacement (number 9005) and installed them, what a difference. The vehicle is a 2008 Edge Limited AWD.

Thanks

They're not available.

Thanks

I do believe Akirby is correct. If you go to www.sylvania.com they list the low beam part number as H11-55w and does not have the "Silverstar" distinction unlike the high beam part number.

I have H9 NARVA bulbs in my low beam position!!!! All one has to do is trim part of the large tab on any H9 bulb and gently place it in the socket. BTW ... NARVA H9 is 65 W ...

My highbeams were replaced with the new Toshiba HIR 1 bulbs ... very bright!!! Nice fit as well.

I talked to him and he gave me the above bulbs. He has good articles on lighting and related issues. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

From his website:

H11 bulbs

These new single-filament 55w bulbs are quickly supplanting HB4/9006 in new low-beam headlamp and fog lamp designs. (They are not physically interchangeable with any 9000-series bulb!) As is the case with other bulb families—such as 9004/9007, 9005/9006, etc.—the H11 has different base keys than its H9 high-beam and H8 fog lamp counterparts. Somebody goofed on the spec, though, for the difference between H11 and H9 base keys is insufficient; it's too easy to install an H9 bulb where an H11 belongs. The difference in light output between these two designs is enormous (1350 lumens from the H11, 2100 from the H9), so putting an H9 in place of an H11 will obviously cause the lamp to produce a lot more light. Some lamps are designed such that the optics would handle the extra light well, without creating excessive glare for other road users. Many, however, are not. As with H8 and H9, H11 bulbs are not widely available in the afterma rket.

* 55w Narva or Osram: $13.50

Edited by Jaak in TO

• 7 months later...
I have H9 NARVA bulbs in my low beam position!!!! All one has to do is trim part of the large tab on any H9 bulb and gently place it in the socket. BTW ... NARVA H9 is 65 W ...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

From his website:

H11 bulbs

These new single-filament 55w bulbs are quickly supplanting HB4/9006 in new low-beam headlamp and fog lamp designs...........The difference in light output between these two designs is enormous (1350 lumens from the H11, 2100 from the H9),........

Are U also using H9 for fog lamps? 65W is 18% increase over 55W. 2100 lumen is 55% increase over 1350. Candlepower spec for H9 is 167, for H11 is 107. 167 is 56% increase over 107. I'm thinking about increased heat generated by H9 bulb. A 56% increase in lumens/candlepower is substantial. However, we look at wattage for heat & 18% doesn't worry me as much. Can anyone say from experience that there is no danger using H9 in place of H11?

3/23/09 - I have since been to Daniel Stern's site & he says not :stop: to use H9s in any foglamp. Says U can use Osram Night Breaker H11. http://store.candlepower.com/bconibr90ulh5.html

Edited by dadrett

• 1 year later...

They are available now. They were not available 2 years ago when the thread was started.

Both a coated bulbs with REDUCED output and a short lifespan. The switch to an H9 bulb is the way to go if you want truly superior lighting from a bulb that will work in the housing with accurate focus (something that cannot be said for the illegal HID conversion kits agressively pushed here and on the internet.)

They are available now. They were not available 2 years ago when the thread was started.

Both are coated bulbs with REDUCED output and a short lifespan. The switch to an H9 bulb is the way to go if you want truly superior lighting from a bulb that will work in the housing with accurate focus (something that cannot be said for the illegal HID conversion kits agressively pushed here and on the internet.) Narva is a quality brand. I have seen some real cheap crap being offered on the internet.

Edited by Feirstein

• 3 months later...

Had the silverstar H11's and one burned out in 8 months. I now run the Putco brand H11 in mirror white. These have a much whiter light with slight blue tint. Very similiar to HID in color but not as bright of course. They are available on www.autobarn.net for $30.00. These are far superior to silverstars and cost less too. On a side note, I run silverstar ultras on my 'stang and they have been going strong for 2 years now. Switching to H9's might produce too much heat and burn out very quickly. For some reason with this pulsed electrical system, the headlights are very tempermental to other bulbs that are not rated @ 55w.

You can run an H9 in the housing designed for an H11 until the headlight housing or connectors melt. Putco mirror white which are a true 55w bulb same as stock and not a bulb that runs higher wattage to increase brightness. Also, if your SJB...(smart junction box) goes because of the H9's it WILL NOT be covered under warranty but you could always pop the stockers in before service. Bottom line, do what you want, but I personally would not recommend it.

Just switched the 11's for a set of 9's in my 2010's lowbeams. I just went with the regular Sylvania H9's for 10 bucks a pop. Cutting off the extra tab is pretty simple but you have to take your time and make sure to get all the way down into the socket. If ya don't get deep enough, the clips won't lock when you go to install them. I just used an exacto knife. Have not had a chance to try them out yet but I did compare them after I did one side. The H9 is indeed a lot brighter then the 11. Should be a nice upgrade for those long, Northern Michigan, rides to the cabin. Lots of deers!!!!!