Dash Camera Installation

I purchased a two-channel dash camera system and hired a professional installer to complete the fuse-tap and conceal the wiring.

I'm not keen on aftermarket items being noticeable to passers-by when the vehicle is unattended, so the trade-off for discreet placement of the front camera is a partially obstructed view because of Ford's windshield housing (picture attached).  

The parking mode module is configured for a 12-hour timeout or a 12V (±0.1V) cut-off, and there's a manual shut-off switch installed in the glove compartment.  My dealership recommended a 12.5V cut-off, if possible, but the installer told me it wouldn't enable in that setting.  The installer also assured me that the Edge's electrical system will cut power to the camera system, regardless of what my settings are, to ensure reliable, year-round starts.

Has anyone else installed a similar aftermarket item that's capable of drawing battery power with the ignition off?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.JPG

Edited by JAYQD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAYQD said:

Has anyone else installed a similar aftermarket item that's capable of drawing battery power with the ignition off?

Yes.  My dashcam (Thinkware) has a built in battery sensor that can be set via software.  After playing with FOREscan awhile or fiddling with Sync I frequently hear the camera announce "shutting down due to low battery."  That just means I've dropped to a 12v threshold before the preset 3 hour automatic camera shutdown happens.  The Edge always fires up, no problem so don't let it worry you. 

Your installer did a really nice job!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Great to hear, thanks.  I haven't enabled parking mode yet, but I thought it was odd that I couldn't set it to less than 12 hours.  3-6 hours would suffice for my needs, but I guess they can't please everyone.  By the sounds of it, the system may not even achieve 3 hours anyway :)  One thing I have learned is that if the windshield or lens have any smudges, the video is blurred.  Once the novelty wears off and I stop taking the camera inside to download video directly off the SD card, I'll make sure everything is ultra clean and leave it alone.  I agree with you both, the installer earned his fee ($170 CDN).  It took him two hours to do the job, and by the looks of it the fuse panel is a b*tch to reach, so he earned it.

The fuse box does look like a spine twister until you realize....ta daaaaa...you can remove the change (or whatever you put in there) drawer.  Pull that out and you're looking right at the fuse panel.  At that point it's pretty simple just to reach up under the dash while you're looking through that opening to insert/remove fuses/fuse taps. 

I figured the hard part for your installer was getting the delay box installed in your glove box and routing cable to it from power/camera.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I'm not too sure; I didn't ask, and he didn't complain.  I wonder if he tapped into the fuses under the hood because I can't see any taps installed, and the charge was $10 for two taps.  I suppose I could call and ask, just out of curiosity.

8.jpg

On 7/7/2019 at 6:33 PM, Gadgetjq said:

The fuse box does look like a spine twister until you realize....ta daaaaa...you can remove the change (or whatever you put in there) drawer.  Pull that out and you're looking right at the fuse panel.  At that point it's pretty simple just to reach up under the dash while you're looking through that opening to insert/remove fuses/fuse taps. 

I figured the hard part for your installer was getting the delay box installed in your glove box and routing cable to it from power/camera.

Cheers!

how do you get that change drawer out LOL

4 hours ago, diesel97 said:

how do you get that change drawer out LOL

Open the drawer, insert your hand palm up.  Curl your fingers a little so the tips are against the top of the assembly.  Pull.  You'll hear four clicks as the keepers release.  Done!   It's a little scary the first time thinking you might break something but it does pop right out with with a little tug.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

I believe I found where fuse taps were installed, which explains why I don't see any on the fuse panel.  I didn't follow the wires because the pavement was too hot to kneel on for long, but it would appear they were somehow installed near the OBDII module.  I'll have my dealership confirm the wiring is acceptable the next time I'm in for service.

20190709_153759.jpg

14 minutes ago, JAYQD said:

I think they eliminated that feature on the '19s; at least, mine doesn't have a change compartment.  Now, it's only an access panel.

20190709_153201.jpg

It looks like the dashboard side is still the same (see pic below) so if you 'want' the drawer find an earlier Edge at a local recycle yard or check eBay.

dash side 'with' drawer

access.jpg.2d5e021736cda83ad88816be34dfa6ef.jpg

• 1 month later...

As for the "auto battery disconnect" feature, I can tell you that on my 2011 and 2013 Edge, I've left the dome and/or parking lights on before and in the morning, they're off and the battery is fully functional.  I know I've left them on because as soon as I start the Edge, they all come on.  Haven't tried with the headlights.

Another "ignition wire" that is even more convenient is the power to the rear view mirror. My 9500ix and Garmin 2555 LTM are both wired into it.

• 2 years later...

That is a really clean set up!! I just set up my dash cam on my 2021 Ford Edge St. I am to the point where I need to hard wire it, I want to use fuse taps into the fuse box under the dash. I need to find a fuse that is always hot and one that is powered when the car is on! Any advice?? Thank you in advance ??

4 hours ago, Rysiu said:

I need to find a fuse that is always hot and one that is powered when the car is on! Any advice?? Thank you in advance ??

Here's the layout for a '16, it 'might' be the same for your later model.  Be sure to check using a multimeter or test light.   Note, the left side of the photo is actually the 'top' of the fuse box.image.png.955f38659c4413a6fa81bc5bac07d201.png

3 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Here's the layout for a '16, it 'might' be the same for your later model.  Be sure to check using a multimeter or test light.   Note, the left side of the photo is actually the 'top' of the fuse box.image.png.955f38659c4413a6fa81bc5bac07d201.png

thank you Gadgetjq, 

I looked up the fuses and fuse 35 is the 5 A Passenger airbag deactivation indicator and fuse  26 is the  30 A Front passenger door window and mirror. Front passenger door module. Front passenger lock indicator. Front passenger switch illumination.

I have not checked if it is always hot or not, as I am waiting for my micro fuse taps to arrive.

• 5 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, JAYQD said:

I believe I found where fuse taps were installed, which explains why I don't see any on the fuse panel.  I didn't follow the wires because the pavement was too hot to kneel on for long, but it would appear they were somehow installed near the OBDII module.  I'll have my dealership confirm the wiring is acceptable the next time I'm in for service.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:24 PM, Rysiu said:

thank you Gadgetjq, 

I looked up the fuses and fuse 35 is the 5 A Passenger airbag deactivation indicator and fuse  26 is the  30 A Front passenger door window and mirror. Front passenger door module. Front passenger lock indicator. Front passenger switch illumination.

I have not checked if it is always hot or not, as I am waiting for my micro fuse taps to arrive.

I just purchased a 2021 Edge Titanium and the under dash fuse panel is darned near impossible to get at.  There is a lot of stuff packed under there and I can maybe touch it with two fingers, neither of them the thumb.  This post got me to thinking that I could use the OBDI plug to get the switchable power.  If one of the connections is switchable, I'd easily sacrifice an old code reader to cut off the plug and wire into it.  Does that sound reasonable?  I'll research the plug in the time being to see what I can find.

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote everyting

• 9 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, JAYQD said:

I purchased a two-channel dash camera system and hired a professional installer to complete the fuse-tap and conceal the wiring.

I'm not keen on aftermarket items being noticeable to passers-by when the vehicle is unattended, so the trade-off for discreet placement of the front camera is a partially obstructed view because of Ford's windshield housing (picture attached).  

The parking mode module is configured for a 12-hour timeout or a 12V (±0.1V) cut-off, and there's a manual shut-off switch installed in the glove compartment.  My dealership recommended a 12.5V cut-off, if possible, but the installer told me it wouldn't enable in that setting.  The installer also assured me that the Edge's electrical system will cut power to the camera system, regardless of what my settings are, to ensure reliable, year-round starts.

I was looking at the Thinkware website... You can purchase a THINKWARE OBD II Power Cable for their products and then I watched this guys installation on youtube... it has the motion sensor that you can set it up for when your vehicle is off and it will still capture if it senses motion in front/back and records it and then shuts off automatically. Thought that was pretty sweet, it also tells you when you start up your vehicle how many times it sensed and captured motion moments while the vehicle was parked off.