Does Ford update its software?

phillman5

Looking at a 2019 Edge AWD Titanium.  My experience with Honda is they never seem to update device software.  Say for instance the Lane Keep Assist, my 2015 does have some problems, it follows the highway lines, so my 2015 likes to take the freeway exits.  I was told the software on the 2016 was much better, so why doesn't Honda update the software in the 2015?

So my question, does Ford update the software for systems like this for older models.?  Evidently I've read many news reports that Tesla is constantly doing this for their owners.

Ford has updated the Sync entertainment system over the years and it's easy for owners to modify (but not update) most of the modules (individual computers) via a special app and OBDII code reader..  Owners can visit Ford's website and check to see if individual systems need updating but only a dealer can actually 'update' them.  You can also link the Sync3 system to your home network and check for updates but actually downloading them OTA and installing is hit and miss....mostly miss.

Suggestion, while negotiating for that '19 Titanium ask them to throw in all available current updates if any plus updates for the next couple of years. 

You're right, Tesla is amazing with it's continual OTA updates and owner notifications. 

Gadgetjq  "Suggestion, while negotiating for that '19 Titanium ask them to throw in all available current updates if any plus updates for the next couple of years. "

Good idea for present updates!!  I found a used one in a state close by.  So updates in the future is probably not in the cards.

The question is what do you hope to gain by updating software?  Ford is continuously updating software, but that is usually only in the pursuit of fixing problems.  If you have a problem and you are under warranty, you can take the car to the dealer and Ford will update it.  If you don't have a problem, then Ford will not update unless you offer to pay for it yourself.

In the case of your Honda, there could be a lot more going on.  Often times OEMs will switch suppliers on subsystems like lane keeping/cameras and the new software isn't compatible with the older modules.  Or there may be other interactions that haven't been tested and therefore they won't update because it could introduce other unknown problems.

Unfortunately Ford is still several years away from having a clean Over-the-Air update system like Tesla, so for the moment it's only a "fix what's broke" kind of system.