09 vs 08 Mileage

Tboneguy

I noticed that on fueleconomy.gov the even heavier 09 FWD Flex has a rating of 17 City - 24 Hwy, and the 09 Edge Order Guide shows it's also rated at 17 City - 24 Hwy. I know it's no huge difference, but my 08 FWD Edge is rated 16 City - 24 Hwy. Do you think they've done some tweaking to the programming that they'll pass down to previous years via a Reflash?

2009FordEdgeOrderGuide.pdf

• 5 months later...
I noticed that on fueleconomy.gov the even heavier 09 FWD Flex has a rating of 17 City - 24 Hwy, and the 09 Edge Order Guide shows it's also rated at 17 City - 24 Hwy. I know it's no huge difference, but my 08 FWD Edge is rated 16 City - 24 Hwy. Do you think they've done some tweaking to the programming that they'll pass down to previous years via a Reflash?

2009FordEdgeOrderGuide.pdf

I just purchased an '08 and was wondering the same - what change made the '09 get 1 mpg better in the city than the '08? Wondering if I can make the same change on mine.

• 4 weeks later...
I average high 17 or low 18 MPG. Even when i try to drive like an old lady (which is rarely). I tend to drive with the OD off most of the time, otherwise the Edge is constantly downshifting to try and find power. I believe the Edge's are geared horribly.

-Cannon

Hi Cannon. :D Just as an FYI: It is no wonder your fuel economy is lower than you would like it to be. Unless the "most of the time" you are driving around with the O/D off is on long downhill stretches of road, driving around town at less than 40-45 mph or while constantly towing a trailer, driving around with the O/D off is hurting your fuel mileage, not helping it. In the long run, it is also putting added/unnecessary wear on your transmission/powertrain.

This is a copy and paste from your Owners Manual concerning what happens when you turn off Overdrive:

• Transaxle operates in gears one

through five.

• Provides engine braking.

Depending on conditions the

transaxle will automatically

downshift to increase the level of

engine braking while descending

grades.

• Use when driving conditions

cause excessive shifting from O/D

to other gears. Examples: hilly

terrain, mountainous areas and

when engine braking is required.

Essentially, what you "think" is keeping your Edge from "...constantly downshifting to try and find power" is fooling your Edge into thinking you need engine braking (like on a long downhill stretch of mountainous road) and keeping it in an unnecessarily low gear.

The purpose of a six speed transmission is to allow a vehicles powertrain (engine/transmission) to choose a proper gear suited to the drivers throttle inputs. A six speed transmission should shift up and down more than an older four speed transmission. It is more efficient that way, and keeps the engine in its most efficient power band, both for power and fuel economy. When your transmission is upshifting and downshifting, it is performing as it should. However, you are making the job harder and lowering your fuel economy by turning off the Overdrive function.

Of course, it is a free country and you can do as you please. I am simply providing the information to try and help. Do yourself a big favor and read the Owners Manual, especially the sections concerning the Transmission and Overdrive. It will verify the information I have provided. It will also help you increase your fuel mileage and extend the life of your transmission.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 weeks later...

Does this product affect warranty at all?

I know it adds 35hp, but what is the increase in fuel economy?

I going to be driven to the Seattle area later in the year and would like to get someone to install this for me and tune my Ford Edge.

Is there any one that sells and installs in Seattle or Olympia?

Gary

Edited by garyedwardsmith