2015 Edge Sport 21" Wheels - Keep 'em or get smaller?

johnraz

I've got the 2015 Edge Sport with 21" Wheels and  Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires. They are terrible in the snow. I live in New England and go north a few times a year.

I need new tires. But my 21" options are few.  Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus is an option, but I'm reading good (Consumer Reports) but also bad reviews. 

My tire guy recommend Nokian WR G3 SUV tires, which look great in the winter, but again it only snows a few months a year around here.

I'm wondering if these 21" wheels are the way to go. Maybe I should just look into 20 or 19" wheels. I'm assuming my tire options would be larger. And while the 21s look great they are prone to curb damage.

BTW, my wheels have road rash, I want to get them buffed up. Could do a simple repair. But the pros want $225 a wheel.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

John 

Hey John,

I was in the same boat. I live in NE, have the 21s and I just got rid of my pirellis in the spring. I like having a set of winters on separate rims. Going w/18s this winter then But may change next year. If you are going with a dedicates winter set, check out Nokian zLine SUV Ultra High Performance Summer Tire - 265/45ZR21 104Y. I went w/just a little larger sidewall bc of NE’s roads. Very happy overall and didn’t break the bank. All told, $540 from amazon, $80 for install and $100 for lifetime alignment.  

Good luck!

Edited by lightning4eva
  • Like 1

With a little searching you can usually find cheap OEM wheels that people sell because they don't like them. For your generation Edge you can look at some Escape & Fusion wheels if you want to keep it OEM. The 21's are also very wide no matter what you do, which isn't great for snow.

For my '14 Sport, I got a brand new set of Explorer Police Interceptor wheels and Continental WinterContact tires for the same price as it'd cost to put winter tires on my 22's (not even accounting for mounting and balancing tires twice per year if I did that).

If cost is a concern, I'm in lower New England, and on my past '10 Focus I had my set of winter wheels/tires last for several years since I only ran them for a few months per year. But I never even wore them down completely, the car was sold and I sold the tires separately.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Check out Continental DWS06. IMO they perform better than the Pirelli Verde tires.  @037 Member 037 has few set of tire options for sale that you may be interested in.  

Thanks for the mention! I sold my 21s with winter scorpions, what I have left is a 20" set of Continental wheels and some 245/45/20 high performance Continental DW summer tires which I set the drag racing records with. Lots of tread as always as the cars don't stick around long enough to use em up, ever. 

Edited by 037
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Check out Continental DWS06. IMO they perform better than the Pirelli Verde tires.  @037 Member 037 has few set of tire options for sale that you may be interested in.  

I don't see the DWS06 in 265/40/r21 or 45 even, so I'm not sure they are an option for my existing Wheels

On those wheels, I don't see an option beyond the Pirelli Verde PRO (which are supposed to be a step up from the previous Verde) and the Nokian 

If I was to go with a new set of Wheels, I'd like to have something good looking. I guess that 19" would give me a wider selection of both reconditioned Wheels and new Tire selection

Anyone have any feed back on the Pirelli Verde PRO in New England winter conditions?

Thanks and for the feedback, much appreciated

John

18 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

1 hour ago, johnraz said:

I don't see the DWS06 in 265/40/r21 or 45 even, so I'm not sure they are an option for my existing Wheels

That's odd I checked Continental's website and they don't have them listed. I also checked tire rack and discount tire....

I know I'm not going crazy so i decided to check eBay.....

This Continental DWS06 is 295/40/21! Continental-ExtremeContact-DWS06-295-40R21XL 

Not wanting to assume but I'm not sure if Continental is making Extreme Contact DWS06 in our size any more.

A 19' rim is a poor choice as it's not a common factory rim size so will give you limited options. You are better off with 20 or 18 inch if you want options. The added safety of a winter grip in cold weather is worth it even if it's only a few months out of the year. You could likely, I know I can, get aftermarket 18" rims and 18' winter grips cheaper than buying a new set for the 21s and run the 21s for another summer or 2.

Thanks Perblue,

Going with winter/summer tires might be the best option. Any suggestions for sites to search for the "aftermarket 18" rims and 18' winter grips"?  And what particular type of rim do I search for ?

I'm considering trading in the 21" wheels for 20". Looks like that is a reasonable option cost wise and opens up more tire options. Maybe I'd find some aftermarket 20" tires. Bad idea ?

Thanks

On 10/13/2019 at 8:27 AM, johnraz said:

Thanks Perblue,

Going with winter/summer tires might be the best option. Any suggestions for sites to search for the "aftermarket 18" rims and 18' winter grips"?  And what particular type of rim do I search for ?

I'm considering trading in the 21" wheels for 20". Looks like that is a reasonable option cost wise and opens up more tire options. Maybe I'd find some aftermarket 20" tires. Bad idea ?

Thanks

Going through tirerack you can get  set with sensors for under 1500 plus shipping depending on where you live, with a set of blizzaks so there are cheaper options on their site too.