Brand New 2019 Edge Slightly Vibrates Up Front From 45-60mph

I just purchased a brand new 2019 Ford Edge Titanium and the vehicle has been great so far. I got a really good deal on it as it was manufactured on 10/18 and they were trying to get it off the lot

My main concern was that it was “sitting” for a year and I was worried about the southern heat damaging anything. My salesman said they checked the battery, oil, replaced the air filter, and gave us 500 miles on the tires to see if we noticed any issues. 

Today, while driving between 45-60mph I noticed the slightest vibration up front...I could even see (barely) the hood vibrating too. 

Our other vehicle is electric, so I’m not sure if this is normal for a gas vehicle or if there’s an issue.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Or if it’s normal? It’s barely noticeable, but I can feel and see it. 

Theres no noises coming from up front and when I’m above or below those speeds everything is smooth. 

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

The tires are probably flatspotted.   It may go away or get better in time but it's hard to say.  You might want to have a tire shop check them.

Thanks. I’m hoping that’s what it is as I’d get new tires on all 4!

How would a tire shop determine if there are flat spots?

Is there anything else it could possibly be other than that?

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

Could just also be an improper balance. First thing they will try is rebalancing the tires.

Thanks. I’ll ask them to do that. I’ve got a small checklist of things I’m following up on. 

Do you know if it’s normal to have this type of “rust” in the front tire area? Pictures 1-3. 

Does this look like corrosion or something on the back wheels? Picture 4

Also, there’s are these microscopic “cracks” on the side of the tire. Is this normal? Or could it be tire rot? Picture 5

All in all the vehicle is great, just a few things I noticed while detailing it today. 

BA8F51D1-4BF8-4E36-8FFD-D4AAABB27BCE.jpeg

9423CA84-6A99-4EB6-B825-5C7E55227666.jpeg

E380254F-AE7F-4845-BC4D-E4DFC18B0589.jpeg

094B321E-0601-44A7-A3F9-351FB528D22D.jpeg

65727652-BA2B-4A93-B54B-E11D9EB04651.jpeg

Mild surface rust is normal and nothing to worry about.   I don't think the tires are rotten, but again I'd have a tire shop look at it.

They can test the runout on the tires the same way you test brake rotors to see if there is any variation.   They can also check the balance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Mild surface rust is normal and nothing to worry about.   I don't think the tires are rotten, but again I'd have a tire shop look at it.

They can test the runout on the tires the same way you test brake rotors to see if there is any variation.   They can also check the balance.

You think that rust is normal on a brand new vehicle? My wife’s 8 year old vehicle looked like that...I may ask them to take a look at that too. 

My cars tires (1 year old) don’t even have those little cracks either. Going to ask them to take a look at everything. 

37 minutes ago, Johndoejohndoes said:

You think that rust is normal on a brand new vehicle? My wife’s 8 year old vehicle looked like that...I may ask them to take a look at that too. 

My cars tires (1 year old) don’t even have those little cracks either. Going to ask them to take a look at everything. 

Yes rust like that is normal on any vehicle that’s been sitting outside for 11 months straight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

Yes rust like that is normal on any vehicle that’s been sitting outside for 11 months straight.

Would it be unreasonable for me to ask them to replace it?

They already guarantee my tires did the first 500 miles, so I’m simply asking for them to be replaced.

I feel like asking for the vehicle to be in pristine condition and being brand new isn’t unreasonable...but I don’t want to be a dick either (but again, I just bought a new vehicle).

3 hours ago, Johndoejohndoes said:

Would it be unreasonable for me to ask them to replace it?

They already guarantee my tires did the first 500 miles, so I’m simply asking for them to be replaced.

I feel like asking for the vehicle to be in pristine condition and being brand new isn’t unreasonable...but I don’t want to be a dick either (but again, I just bought a new vehicle).

Take it back or else it will haunt you until eternity.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, akirby said:

Sorry for following up, but I’m actually going into my Ford where I bought it on Monday and the Service Manager said he’d be helping me out with everything. 

If it was your vehicle, what would you do? Obviously I want it to be perfect since it’s brand new, but I also know I need to be reasonable and I’m just trying to see what’s necessary to fix if it could cause a problem sooner. I also don’t want them to screw stuff up taking everything apart.

Thanks

Ok this is just my opinion.

Pic 1 and 2 might bother me considering it's painted and hasn't seen 6 months of road abuse or so to start beating up the paint.

Pics 3 and 4 the rust is on the bolts where raw metal gets exposed during assembly and is expected. Inside the rotors is normal for steel rotors and can form within weeks of new ones being put on.

Pic 4 that is quite normal. It isn't cracking, its minor imperfections from the molding process and can be found on almost any tire in my experience and knowledge.

48 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Ok this is just my opinion.

Pic 1 and 2 might bother me considering it's painted and hasn't seen 6 months of road abuse or so to start beating up the paint.

Pics 3 and 4 the rust is on the bolts where raw metal gets exposed during assembly and is expected. Inside the rotors is normal for steel rotors and can form within weeks of new ones being put on.

Pic 4 that is quite normal. It isn't cracking, its minor imperfections from the molding process and can be found on almost any tire in my experience and knowledge.

I had my mechanic take a look today. He said there’s a lot of rust and corrosion for such a new vehicle. 

DB0F90F4-301F-44F9-BC99-4BB285216753.jpeg

D4853FA6-6E6C-4801-9A98-0412FE60C4B2.jpeg

89BB556F-D732-439D-9FC8-14401A175FAB.jpeg

54556151-A68C-48CD-BC40-DD433C77A344.jpeg

1880279D-C5CB-4E3E-AFC7-76CB97FAA980.jpeg

479AC0FF-68A2-4C44-9AEB-DD0A8FD39795.jpeg

57CDB996-6D3C-4134-9D66-5CA3C5E6D566.jpeg

2354E5BE-C341-43F6-9C7A-2087DBF79C56.jpeg

0C1BF400-1A05-4528-AE67-D9E950FC934A.jpeg

13801C52-9D6A-4F30-A6B4-7491235A9C3B.jpeg

0940FA76-D38F-4718-A01E-FF3A6A1EB91C.jpeg

51C7F186-FBF3-4CDA-AADF-2301C592AC75.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry about any of that. Surface rust is completely normal and expected. If you live in an area with low dew points/rains alot, this kind of stuff happens nearly instantly after driving off the lot. At least you don't live in an area that salts roads, or in beach town. I drive to the coast alot and all the cars older than a few years have bad rust. That salt from the ocean that wafts in the air is killer.