Beefing Up 08 Edge Help???

Hi,

I am knew to the Ford Edge and am looking for some advice. I recently purchased an 08 Edge Limited Edition, and am looking to make some simple yet effective modifications.

First of all, I am looking to tune the engine, however, I can not find any tuner (ie Hypertech or Superchip) for the 08 Edge. I am wondering if anyone as had any luck with this and what they have used, were I can find it and if there are noticable improvements?

Second, has anyone here tried the SLR Motorsport High Performance Chip? If so, what do you think or recommend instead?

What about adding a high performance intake? Anyone have any success with this?

Lastly, I am looking to enhance the exhaust system. However, I have heard and read lots of conflicting stories of what type, brand model etc... is best. I am looking for a low, throaty almost deep purr sound. Not, the high pitched, rapid sound those little imports make. I want american muscle with class. Some say to use Magnaflow to get that and other say Flowmaster.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :sos:

Edited by EMC

Hi,

I am knew to the Ford Edge and am looking for some advice. I recently purchased an 08 Edge Limited Edition, and am looking to make some simple yet effective modifications.

First of all, I am looking to tune the engine, however, I can not find any tuner (ie Hypertech or Superchip) for the 08 Edge. I am wondering if anyone as had any luck with this and what they have used, were I can find it and if there are noticable improvements?

Second, has anyone here tried the SLR Motorsport High Performance Chip? If so, what do you think or recommend instead?

What about adding a high performance intake? Anyone have any success with this?

Lastly, I am looking to enhance the exhaust system. However, I have heard and read lots of conflicting stories of what type, brand model etc... is best. I am looking for a low, throaty almost deep purr sound. Not, the high pitched, rapid sound those little imports make. I want american muscle with class. Some say to use Magnaflow to get that and other say Flowmaster.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :sos:

I have the Weapon R air intake (didn't notice much of a difference) and for exhaust i have a cat back system with a flowmaster 40 series, and then after that i have a 2 foot resonator to help quiet it down even more, with 4" exhaust tips. I think it sounds good and not too ricey. Forst i did just the flowmaster and it was WAY to loud and droning sounding inside the vehicle. But adding the resonator helped it out just right. I believe a Superchips programmer is available. Don't know about the other chip you mentioned tho.

-Cannon

I have the Weapon R air intake (didn't notice much of a difference) and for exhaust i have a cat back system with a flowmaster 40 series, and then after that i have a 2 foot resonator to help quiet it down even more, with 4" exhaust tips. I think it sounds good and not too ricey. Forst i did just the flowmaster and it was WAY to loud and droning sounding inside the vehicle. But adding the resonator helped it out just right. I believe a Superchips programmer is available. Don't know about the other chip you mentioned tho.

-Cannon

Happy with my 93 octane custom tune by Evolution Performance on our Edge. Service was great and these guys are only about an hour from me so I ordered online and it was delivered next day. I did not want the shift pressures changed because I really like the smoothness of these 6 speed trans and it always seems to find the right gear. I had custom dyno tuning done on my Ford trucks from another tuner so I tend to look for a custom tune over the canned ones. Best seat of the pants gain AND throttle response for the $$ you will find anywhere.

I may do a custom intake myself, none available yet so I bought a K&N drop in and the Edge already has a cold air inlet on top of air box vented behind the grill and if you pop the snorkel looking thing off the bottom right side of the air box, there is a nice baseball size opening for additional air. You can run another tube off this opening to behind the grill for additional cold air. ( another member here gave me the idea ) The Edge actually has a pretty decent intake design already, even with a heat dissipater on top, we just need to get some more cool outside air into the intake. I have done many dyno pulls on a couple of my trucks and have seen a +12 rwhp gain by simply having a large barrel fan running on high infront of the dyno so intake temp DOES make a difference. If your not going to dyno it, you need to be careful with some of the open intakes so you do not run too lean. Not sure what the average air/fuel ration is on the Edge but my 04 F150 ran lean from the factory and never threw a CEL. I'm sure if Steeda comes out with one, it will be dyno tested for the appropriate air flow and I probably would end up goin for it.

As far as exhaust, I like the quiet stock catbacks, but Magnaflow has a setup for the Edge. It is a catback system and you'll get no real power increase but maybe good mellow sound, I prefer the quiet 'sleepers' and my .02, stay away from the flowmasters, - never was a fan of the chambered mufflers, go with flow through ! - and my goodness, why would you want one of these to sound like a truck ! ( sorry any flowmaster guys, again, just my .02. )

Edited by kdd01

Happy with my 93 octane custom tune by Evolution Performance on our Edge. Service was great and these guys are only about an hour from me so I ordered online and it was delivered next day. I did not want the shift pressures changed because I really like the smoothness of these 6 speed trans and it always seems to find the right gear. I had custom dyno tuning done on my Ford trucks from another tuner so I tend to look for a custom tune over the canned ones. Best seat of the pants gain AND throttle response for the $$ you will find anywhere.

I may do a custom intake myself, none available yet so I bought a K&N drop in and the Edge already has a cold air inlet on top of air box vented behind the grill and if you pop the snorkel looking thing off the bottom right side of the air box, there is a nice baseball size opening for additional air. You can run another tube off this opening to behind the grill for additional cold air. ( another member here gave me the idea ) The Edge actually has a pretty decent intake design already, even with a heat dissipater on top, we just need to get some more cool outside air into the intake. I have done many dyno pulls on a couple of my trucks and have seen a +12 rwhp gain by simply having a large barrel fan running on high infront of the dyno so intake temp DOES make a difference. If your not going to dyno it, you need to be careful with some of the open intakes so you do not run too lean. Not sure what the average air/fuel ration is on the Edge but my 04 F150 ran lean from the factory and never threw a CEL. I'm sure if Steeda comes out with one, it will be dyno tested for the appropriate air flow and I probably would end up goin for it.

As far as exhaust, I like the quiet stock catbacks, but Magnaflow has a setup for the Edge. It is a catback system and you'll get no real power increase but maybe good mellow sound, I prefer the quiet 'sleepers' and my .02, stay away from the flowmasters, - never was a fan of the chambered mufflers, go with flow through ! - and my goodness, why would you want one of these to sound like a truck ! ( sorry any flowmaster guys, again, just my .02. )

Thanks for the tips. I am also not a hardcore car guy either, so all of this information and the education behind it is extremely valuable. I am just concerned I don't throw money away on promises that don't deliver and then stuck with the outcome.

-EMC