Terrible mpg

Dylan2012edge

Hi my name is Dylan. I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue with there edge as I am. So it’s the 3.5 awd model and when the car is warm it randomly revs up and down. It will be at like 700-800 rpm and just randomly every 10-15 seconds rev up to like 1300 rpm and go back down. And I’m getting terrible fuel economy. I get like 9-10 mpg so something it obviously off. And yes I did check for a vacuum leak and found the pcv valve disconnected from the air box. So that helped with some other issues I was having but didn’t fix this current issue. I’m more concerned with the mpg right now. I’m filling up like 2 times a week. Someone pls let me know if u know a fix!!

Did I miss it, or was the model year/mileage stated?  There are a few common problems we can think of, but they can vary by model year/generation.

Typically the high rev means a component coming on (such as A/C compressor) OR an intermittent vacuum leak that forces the PCM to raise revs to stabilize the engine.  But there can be many reasons, including worn out spark plugs as PerBlue mentioned.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well theres a couple other things you need to get checked at your trusty blue oval shop, like getting the coolant changed (internal water pump dont let that fail) and the PTU fluid on the awd. Don’t skip that one either. Both repairs are like $2400 and $1600 respectively. While you are in there have them run a diagnostic for the surging and mileage issues, cars are too complicated to properly internet diagnose. It does sound fuel related though, maybe.  Course by now you should have already found out what it was...

Edited by 14AWD3.5

• 3 months later...