High beam/DRL question

2015 Ford Edge Sport - non HID.

LED H11 bulbs for low beams (upgrade)

halogen turn - 7440

halogen high beam/DRL - 9005

From everything im reading, the high beam (9005) should also act as a DRL. At no point in time, on any setting, has my high beams ever acted as a DRL. My lower bumper DRL work as they should. The only other lights that act like a DRL are my flashers. I can set them to stay off when all lights are off, on alongside the lower bumper DRLs, or on alongside lower bumper DRLs and low beams.

Does this seem right? Something i'm missing maybe? I would love to replace my high beam with LEDs but i don't want the flicker issue i've read about since they are "supposed" to work as DRL as well.

thanks guys!

20200117_091139.jpg

20200117_091150.jpg

20200117_091203.jpg

56 minutes ago, TRYING2ADULT said:

The only other lights that act like a DRL are my flashers. I can set them to stay off when all lights are off, on alongside the lower bumper DRLs, or on alongside lower bumper DRLs and low beams.

What do you mean by you can set them...? If you mean using the instrument cluster DRL setting, then it seems the DRLs for your Edge are set like that. Maybe a previous owner changed them using ForScan or through a dealer.

13 minutes ago, omar302 said:

What do you mean by you can set them...? If you mean using the instrument cluster DRL setting, then it seems the DRLs for your Edge are set like that. Maybe a previous owner changed them using ForScan or through a dealer.

Using the turn dial on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. "Off" is the first pic up top, next setting is the second pic and the "On" setting is the third pic.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:03 PM, akirby said:

The vehicle has to be running and it has to be in Drive or Reverse for the DRLs to activate.  They don't activate in Park or with the engine off.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, omar302 said:

To have the DRL turn on, the headlight switch (dial) should be on auto, the transmission lever should not be in P, and it should be daylight. Otherwise the DRL will be off.

Hmm ok i'll try this out, thanks guys

So i've tried every way possible to get my high beams to turn on as DRL and no luck. GOOD, because now i'm not concerned about flicker when i replace the 9005.

One thing i did find out though. While in drive, the sun out, lights set to "off".....my bumper DRLs dim (still on). Once i turn to "aux" setting on dial they get bright. Weird, but interesting

48 minutes ago, TRYING2ADULT said:

So i've tried every way possible to get my high beams to turn on as DRL and no luck.

Or maybe not?  The 2015 with Halogen headlights uses the low beam as a DRL.  As mentioned earlier they're only on when the car is in Drive and it's daytime.  At night those same Halogen bulbs are fully powered up to become headlights.  To 'move' your DRL you need to use FORScan.  I successfully moved mine ('16)  to the high beam socket which is now equipped with an LED designed to be a DRL or fog light bulb. Here's the code:

Set DRL To Specific Front Lights

(BdyCM) 726-45-01

xxxx Xxxx xxxx Set value at XX to 7F This setting enables all choices in the list for DRL options

BdyCM

726-50-01 (2014+ MY) XXxx

01 (Disabled - Default (USA) / No DRL)
02 (Enabled - DRL Low Beams)
04 (Enabled - DRL Front Fog Lamps)
08 (Enabled - DRL Front Turn Lamps)
10 (Enabled - DRL Dedicated) - Enables BCM DRL Outputs - C2280C Pins 36 (Right) and 40 (Left)
20 (Enabled - DRL High Beams)
40 (Enabled - DRL Low Beams and Dedicated)

If you do this, you'll also want to set that DRL to turn off when you activate a turn signal on one side or the other.  If you don't, the DRL can wash out the turn signal so oncoming drivers have difficulty seeing it.  Here's the code to do that:

To turn off DRL on the side a turn signal is flashing

BdyCM (as built)

726-26-02 xxxX  xxxx  xxxx   Change X to 1=enable 0=disable

Have fun!

Edited by Gadgetjq