TPMS & Winter Tires...Again

klong

Hi,

I have a 2008 Edge, SEL, AWD with 17" tires with TPMS.

Since I live in Northern Canada I will require winter tires. My plan is to purchase winter tires on regular steel rims with the TPMS sensors. I have purchased OEM TPMS sensors from the Ford dealership and I think I'm going to go with Michelin X-Ice 235/65/R17 on 17" steel rims. By doing this, I will be able to save my OEM rims from being ruined by the harsh winter conditions that exist here.

My plan is to get the winter tires on the steel rims with the OEM sensors installed and balanced but NOT put them on the vehicle right away. Just as the snow is about to fly, I can just change the tires out in my garage. After doing so, I am wondering if the TPMS will be OK with the new sensors in the steel rims or will I have to bring it back to the Ford Dealership for a reset?

Thanks for any input.

K

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I have a 2008 Edge, SEL, AWD with 17" tires with TPMS.

Since I live in Northern Canada I will require winter tires. My plan is to purchase winter tires on regular steel rims with the TPMS sensors. I have purchased OEM TPMS sensors from the Ford dealership and I think I'm going to go with Michelin X-Ice 235/65/R17 on 17" steel rims. By doing this, I will be able to save my OEM rims from being ruined by the harsh winter conditions that exist here.

My plan is to get the winter tires on the steel rims with the OEM sensors installed and balanced but NOT put them on the vehicle right away. Just as the snow is about to fly, I can just change the tires out in my garage. After doing so, I am wondering if the TPMS will be OK with the new sensors in the steel rims or will I have to bring it back to the Ford Dealership for a reset?

Thanks for any input.

K

So, last night we finally had our first snowfall. I got up early this morning to put my new winter tires on. I did the rear first and all went well. Then when I did the front I noticed that the steel winter rims did not clear the front brakes. Anybody else have that problem with steel winter rims?

K

So, last night we finally had our first snowfall. I got up early this morning to put my new winter tires on. I did the rear first and all went well. Then when I did the front I noticed that the steel winter rims did not clear the front brakes. Anybody else have that problem with steel winter rims?

K

Hi K. :D A 17" wheel with the proper offset will fit the SEL AWD model. Unfortunately, if your 17" wheels do not fit, it would seem that you purchased wheels that do not have the correct offset.

You should return them for wheels with the correct offset to wherever you purchased them.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Is there any way to simply turn the TMPS off when using snows without sensors?

Hi toneman. :D No, it can not be turned off, and there is no separate fuse to pull either.

Due to the fact that it is a Federally mandated safety feature, there is no option to turn it off. The options are live with the "idiot light" being on all winter, or install sensors on the winter wheels.

Edited by bbf2530

Go to tirerack.com. Their site checks compatibility & makes recommendations , and is usually has better prices. I used steel rims on my Honda Pilot and alloy on my Toyota Avalon. For about $50.00/wheel extra(alloy) you don't have to worry about plastic hubcaps cracking and falling off as they get older.Alloy rims also look better.I live in NJ and on hope the Michelin all seasons will be all I need for my Edge. The price I got was $1200 and that didnt include the TPMS. Since this is a leased vehicle and will be gone in 3 years I will get by with the all seasons.Back in 2005 the price was $600.00 for the steel and $800.00 for the alloy winter package. I also found out you don't need the reset tool if your just rotating the same tires.( I did that yesterday). If you plan on getting new rims for winter tires and are using to TPMS then you need the reset tool. Any Ford dealer can order one for $20.00.(faster & cheaper than ebaymotors) and no shipping cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any way to simply turn the TMPS off when using snows without sensors?

On my Edge 2007, I simply push the Reset on the computer everytime I start the car to get rid of the message. I am then left with the small icon indicating that the TMPS is faulty. I drove like that last winter. In the spring, when I put back my 4 season tires with the TMPS, everything was back to normal.

I have an 'O8 MKX and last winter I purchased winter tires and rims without TPMS sensors. I agree with the previous post...all you have to do is hit the reset button and put up with the warning light. It is no big deal. Since you know that the monitoring system is not working you will need to check the pressure every so often during the winter - but you should do this anyway. When you put your regular tires on in the spring the monitoring system starts up again. This way you don't need to go back to the dealer to have them reset the system. It was actually my tire dealer that suggested I not get the sensors and saved $$ in doing so.

Bill.

• 1 month later...
I have an 'O8 MKX and last winter I purchased winter tires and rims without TPMS sensors. I agree with the previous post...all you have to do is hit the reset button and put up with the warning light. It is no big deal. Since you know that the monitoring system is not working you will need to check the pressure every so often during the winter - but you should do this anyway. When you put your regular tires on in the spring the monitoring system starts up again. This way you don't need to go back to the dealer to have them reset the system. It was actually my tire dealer that suggested I not get the sensors and saved $$ in doing so.

Bill.

I'm just curious if anyone else has observed this. I recently purchased and installed 4 new winter tires with winter rims without TPMS sensors on my AWD 08 Edge. I have not had to hit the reset button once nor do I get any warning light displayed on the dash. The original tires, rims and TPMS sensors are sitting in my garage. Possible TPMS problem?

I'm just curious if anyone else has observed this. I recently purchased and installed 4 new winter tires with winter rims without TPMS sensors on my AWD 08 Edge. I have not had to hit the reset button once nor do I get any warning light displayed on the dash. The original tires, rims and TPMS sensors are sitting in my garage. Possible TPMS problem?

Hi thehume. :D Internet diagnosis is always an iffy proposition, but since you have no sensors on your wheels and the TPMS warning light is not illuminating, it would seem there may be a TPMS problem.

Your car should still be under Warranty (being a 2008) so I would recommend making a service appointment when you have a chance. No rush, since you are driving without the sensors anyway.

However, it is hard to know for sure, since some owners report that the warning light does not illuminate until after up to 20 minutes of continuous driving. Have you driven that far (in one straight trip) since you switched wheels? If you haven't, that may be the problem.

If you have driven the vehicle for more than 30 continuous minutes (just adding an arbitrary 10 minute cushion) and the light has not illuminated there may be a problem. However, only the Dealer will be able to accurately diagnose that. If you have not yet driven the vehicle for more than 30 continuous minutes, I would do so before wasting time on a service trip.

Let us know, and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I have installed winter tires on separate aluminum rims for my MKX and no sensors. Sometimes the system gives the me the message about checking they tire pressure right after I start the vehicle. I hit reset and the message goes away. Sometimes even if I have reset I often get the warning beep 15 or 20 minutes after I have started the vehicle in motion. I say sometimes because this does not always happen. There are times when the warning light does not come at all after starting the vehicle but after driving for a period of time (perhaps 15 to 20 minutes) it finally beeps its warning. I wouldn't worry too much about the system not giving you a warning until you have put your regular tires back on. With the sensors in place, the system should do a self check and if there is anything wrong will give you a warning. I had no problems once I put my regular tires back on last spring - no more warning tones or messages.

Bottom line is that you should still check your tire pressure manually once a month and not rely completely on the system to tell you when the pressure is low.

Hi thehume. :D Internet diagnosis is always an iffy proposition, but since you have no sensors on your wheels and the TPMS warning light is not illuminating, it would seem there may be a TPMS problem.

Your car should still be under Warranty (being a 2008) so I would recommend making a service appointment when you have a chance. No rush, since you are driving without the sensors anyway.

However, it is hard to know for sure, since some owners report that the warning light does not illuminate until after up to 20 minutes of continuous driving. Have you driven that far (in one straight trip) since you switched wheels? If you haven't, that may be the problem.

If you have driven the vehicle for more than 30 continuous minutes (just adding an arbitrary 10 minute cushion) and the light has not illuminated there may be a problem. However, only the Dealer will be able to accurately diagnose that. If you have not yet driven the vehicle for more than 30 continuous minutes, I would do so before wasting time on a service trip.

Thanks for the advice. I believe most of my trips have been short hauls so I'll go for a nice drive and see what happens. Thanks again.

I have installed winter tires on separate aluminum rims for my MKX and no sensors. Sometimes the system gives the me the message about checking they tire pressure right after I start the vehicle. I hit reset and the message goes away. Sometimes even if I have reset I often get the warning beep 15 or 20 minutes after I have started the vehicle in motion. I say sometimes because this does not always happen. There are times when the warning light does not come at all after starting the vehicle but after driving for a period of time (perhaps 15 to 20 minutes) it finally beeps its warning. I wouldn't worry too much about the system not giving you a warning until you have put your regular tires back on. With the sensors in place, the system should do a self check and if there is anything wrong will give you a warning. I had no problems once I put my regular tires back on last spring - no more warning tones or messages.

Bottom line is that you should still check your tire pressure manually once a month and not rely completely on the system to tell you when the pressure is low.

Thanks for the information. I agree with you about not getting too worried about it. I was just curious that I wasn't seeing what most people have reported seeing.

I was told at the dealer that those sensors reset themselves once the tire is in the vehicle again, not sure what this device is for. All you have to do is drive for a couple of minutes, once the system check and find the sensor if the pressure is good, you are good to go. I got a flat and the tire was taken out to be fixed, on the whole process the ligh was on, as it was fixed outside the vehicle. While placing it back the sensor was still on. I drove for 5 minutes and the sensor automaticaly shut off again, from that day on, no more problems except one very cold day that the sensors were acting funny, checked the pressure and was low in two tires, restore the right pressure and period...I think that this device is for sensors that sense and display the actual pressure of the tire, not ours...

Edited by Kanatronic

I guess you have to be careful of what you wish for. My TPMS warning light has just come to life. I was out for a short trip to fill up with gas and all of a sudden it registered. The warning light has been coming on ever since whenever I start the ignition. The Edge has been parked over the holidays since we've been using the wife's car. Therefore, I didn't have a chance to go on a 30 minute loop around the block as suggested. Nonetheless, I still find it curious.

I guess you have to be careful of what you wish for. My TPMS warning light has just come to life. I was out for a short trip to fill up with gas and all of a sudden it registered. The warning light has been coming on ever since whenever I start the ignition. The Edge has been parked over the holidays since we've been using the wife's car. Therefore, I didn't have a chance to go on a 30 minute loop around the block as suggested. Nonetheless, I still find it curious.

Hi thehume. :D Ah ha! One of those good news/bad news deals.

The good news is the TPMS warning light came on, so now you know that your TPMS system is working.

The bad news is your TPMS system is working, so now you have the TPMS warning light lit all the time.

Like you said, we have to be careful what we wish for!

Well, Happy New Year anyway!

PS - I agree and also find it curious. :headscratch:

Edited by bbf2530